Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 10:32 AM

582 posts, read 763,473 times

Advertisements

I am searching for a basement to rent. what should I be looking for? what kind of questions do I need to ask the landlord? There is this basement in Glendale and he is asking for $1250 a month including utilities. I asked the owner why I can't have my name on the utility bill and he said he pays all the utilities. I wasn't convinced. I think it is an illegal basement. Anyway, how do I find out if it is legal or illegal? I would like to hear from people who have lived/ been living in basements. does the bathroom get moldy quickly ?

I am inclined to let this opportunity pass because I am not sure if I would be comfortable. I have seen basements that have windows and daylight. I don't know. I guess I need to hear from other people about their experiences and also about Glendale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 10:46 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Does this basement have windows and daylight? Because if not, it's not legal. You also have to look up the difference between a basement and a cellar, which has to do with windows and egress in case of anything - it's not legal to live in a cellar, but it is in a properly set up basement.

A proper basement apartment will feel a lot more like an apartment that just happens to be in the basement, though it may be colder. If it feels more like a dungeon, I'd have my doubts. And while I'd be thrilled to let someone else pay the utilities, if you don't have a separate address, like your own apartment number and mailbox, it's probably not legal. Queens is full of illegal apartments and I knew someone whose tenant turned her in to the buildings dept. and when they finally got around to inspecting, she got fined $30k.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:54 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
lol reminds me of the movie, "It"

Anyway, I personally don't like basements. You'll definitely see those big roaches on steroids that fly!

Old 11-07-2017, 10:57 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Amazing!! I had a walk out basement with full sized windows. Huge bedroom, living room and kitchen. Bathroom and kitchen both had vents. Never experienced mould. It was my first and last apartment. At $800, we lived there and saved enough to buy a house.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Does this basement have windows and daylight? Because if not, it's not legal. You also have to look up the difference between a basement and a cellar, which has to do with windows and egress in case of anything - it's not legal to live in a cellar, but it is in a properly set up basement.

A proper basement apartment will feel a lot more like an apartment that just happens to be in the basement, though it may be colder. If it feels more like a dungeon, I'd have my doubts. And while I'd be thrilled to let someone else pay the utilities, if you don't have a separate address, like your own apartment number and mailbox, it's probably not legal. Queens is full of illegal apartments and I knew someone whose tenant turned her in to the buildings dept. and when they finally got around to inspecting, she got fined $30k.

All what I can see from the pictures is that it does have a tiny window in the " bedroom" but the entire unit has no windows.
I am not looking for trouble and the owner is doing what he is doing at his own risk. But if it the basement is illegal, will the tenant have any responsibility? legal or financial?
And no, I won't be having any bills under my name.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Amazing!! I had a walk out basement with full sized windows. Huge bedroom, living room and kitchen. Bathroom and kitchen both had vents. Never experienced mould. It was my first and last apartment. At $800, we lived there and saved enough to buy a house.
Are you serious? maybe this is a joke.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:02 AM

If you are having doubts don't move in. Save yourself and landlord the headache. If having your name on the bills are important, find a more traditional multifamily house or apartment building.

I would definetly not fuss about whose name is on the utility bill as long as it is being paid. Utilities are approximately $200 monthly. Evaluate whether this is a good deal and comfortable, livable space or not.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
lol reminds me of the movie, "It"

Anyway, I personally don't like basements. You'll definitely see those big roaches on steroids that fly!
My godness! that alone is enough to send me running for the hills!
It? haven't seen it. Sounds like a horror movie. Won't be seeing it.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:07 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
I assume this is in a rowhouse where the basement is greater than 50% above grade. If so it is probably like my basement which I don't rent out, but if I did it would be nicer than anything the city can offer. Except mine would be illegal, but the city's wouldn't be. The city could care less about affordable housing.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Are you serious? maybe this is a joke.
Why? Do you want photos as proof? I literally stepped two steps DOWN to get to the backyard, which I had all to myself. The front entrance was about 5 steps down( maybe that is why it was classified as a basement). Utilities were included. It was in East New york though. Many thought that was a no go area back then. The block was all owner occupied homes. Parking was always available infront of the house. The apartment had been empty for years. I got it because my close friend was the babysitter of the landlord's 2 kids years prior and they had a close friendship since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City