Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:05 PM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Wavecrest is a gated community surrounded with security guards, so I don't think you'll have to worry about crime at night.
I used to live across the street from Wavecrest for many years.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 02:58 PM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I used to live across the street from Wavecrest for many years.
It’s actually tempting to move there because I love the beach and everything beach. It’s just that I’m approaching a mental stage where commuting kills me. I am beginning to despise commuting for hours on end on the A train - especially during nights and weekends when the A train takes a lifetime to arrive!

Old 11-18-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
It’s actually tempting to move there because I love the beach and everything beach. It’s just that I’m approaching a mental stage where commuting kills me. I am beginning to despise commuting for hours on end on the A train - especially during nights and weekends when the A train takes a lifetime to arrive!
Wavecrest aint that bad but if you cant bear the commute then forget it - its a 10 minute walk to the A train, I used to do it in 7 minutes from my parents house. Late at nights, sometimes there would be stray dogs on 25th Street at like 4 AM when I'm coming back from the city...doesnt matter if you took 25th, or the back streets lol..but I am still here to type it all.....

Old 11-18-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Far Rockaway is far if you take the subway to NYC. It can be quite dangerous too depending on the time. Usually people who live there work in Queens or LI.
To be quite honest, after a certain time (I say midnight) the entire MTA is dangerous, even Midtown Manhattan. Think about it, what train is really safe at 1 AM? Only difference between Manhattan and the outer boroughs is in Manhattan, it just happens in front of more people...

Old 11-18-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Dont u work from home sometimes??

Old 11-18-2017, 05:28 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Is it just me, or do a lot of people incorrectly refer to the entire Rockaway Peninsula as "Far Rockaway"?

Old 11-18-2017, 06:34 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
I've lived in Far Rock my entire life (36 years).

To answer your questions:
It's not safe
Crime is high for an area this small
Vibe? Lol think 1980s Brooklyn, we're so far away from the city some of us tend to be insular too
Public transportation....I mean we have it, and it's a pain in the ass in the winter, but at least you would be walking not even 5 minutes to work, so it will only be a problem for you when you want to be social

It is about an hour to lower manhattan give or take 5 minutes, I have been doing the ride every weekday for the past 14 years

Surprisingly enough, I have few delays when riding to work, there's only been about 2-3 times I've been to work late this year because of the train, the people that ride it are another story, I call it "NYCHA on wheels," I've seen it all on the A train, the only thing I've never witnessed on that train is a shooting (and that has happened before on the A train in Far Rock), I've seen everything else!

It's a pretty tough area at the end of the day, no lie. But life is what you make it, and if you're considering it, don't let my experience dictate your end decision. I chose to own an apartment and raise a family out here, and as I'm writing this I'm sipping tea and looking at the Atlantic Ocean. Some days I see sailboats on the water. Some days I hear gunshots too. Although that has calmed down in recent years, it's nowhere near on the level it used to be when I was a kid. I actually consider it pretty safe compared to the late 1990s - early 2000s, back then it was still pretty dangerous, but believe it our not, it's starting to get gentrified.

I can use Seamless and order from 2 Thai restaurants, Stop N Shop although expensive as hell, has good quality stuff (I don't do all my shopping there though because it is expensive), if you're into surfing, you can do that on 67th Street, look all these neighborhoods go through cyclical changes, there was blocks in Bed-Stuy you would get shot in the daytime, now you can buy flat whites.....

It's all about the big picture - is this going to be long-term or short-term??? If its short term, who cares. If its long term, then start getting to know the community and getting more familiar, thats what I can say as a 36 year resident.

I used to count crack vials walking home from school in the 1980s when I was a kid - thats a fact. Now I can go to the bar and have drinks sitting on the deck looking at Jamaica Bay, and Manhattan in the distance. I don't have to go to the city anymore, I live 10 minutes away from the action, you should see the Boulevard now on a Saturday afternoon in the summer. Beach town. People walking with a surfboard in one hand, and a beer in the other.

PS: Far Rock has nothing on the worst parts of Chicago, but it is one of the worst parts of the city currently. Changing quickly though.

PPS: As for Wavecrest itself, the complex is trying to clean itself up, kinda expensive in my opinion. But you're a 3 minute walk to work, nobody can beat that commute, and the complex has stores, banks, grocery, optical, CVS, pizza, soul food, dunkin donuts, dry cleaners, everything's there, you won't have to really mess with Beach 20 or Mott Avenue, where you will seem some hood stuff on occasion. Its all about your comfort level too. I'm a dirty New Yorker, no hood really bothers me lol

Lol one more thing, a hurricane like the magnitude of Sandy will most likely never happen again in our lifetimes, but I had no A train for 7 months, getting to work in Manhattan required believing in myself and will power! HaHa
As much as i love trains, it'd feel like torture if i had to commute on the subway for an hour each way just to get to lower Manhattan. So I'm assuming it takes 1 hour and 20-30mins to get to Midtown from Far Rock? Sheesh

When I think of Far rock i think of Brownsville with an ocean, am i far off lol?

Old 11-18-2017, 06:36 PM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:
Dont u work from home sometimes??
Yes but not everyday

Old 11-18-2017, 07:13 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
To be quite honest, after a certain time (I say midnight) the entire MTA is dangerous, even Midtown Manhattan. Think about it, what train is really safe at 1 AM? Only difference between Manhattan and the outer boroughs is in Manhattan, it just happens in front of more people...
I've never felt unsafe on the subway after that time. It's still somewhat crowded in Lower Manhattan even at 3AM.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:38 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I've taken the subway at 3 AM in midtown and I think it's o.k.

Would I take the A train to Far Rock at that time? No way!

I have seen shootings on the A train but it was a long time ago. I can't tell you how many times I was "victimized" on that miserable train-violently. I prefer the bus.

I guess you will be working at St. John's. Not the greatest place to do a residency. It's a relatively small hospital.

You should be fine in the hospital, but walking home and living in Wavecrest is rather problematic. This is a really, really rough area equivalent to the dangerous hoods of Chicago. I doubt if being gay will be the problem. I'm sure you won't be the only gay couple in Wavecrest. As white midwesterners, you will certainly stick out. You really won't want to be doing much local shopping on your days off in that area. As SeventhFloor said so eloquently and quite correctly, taking the train or the local buses is like NYCHA on wheels.

There's a reason why the rent seems reasonable.

Can you not find a rental or sublet in Lawrence/Inwood/Cedarhurst and take the bus? Before someone writes a comment about those areas-yes there are apartment buildings there and there is a sizable Christian population as well.

Last edited by Coney; 11-18-2017 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City