Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 09:58 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
  1. They have cameras everywhere
  2. Out of the 8 million people, at least 2 will talk and testify against you
  3. Out of the 8 million people, there is someone watching you at some point in time
  4. Out of 8 million people, someone is out to get you and so will lie about you
  5. Out of 8 million people, someone hates your guts
  6. Out of 8 million people, someone wants you out for reasons:
    1. They want your spouse
    2. They want your job
    3. They want your apartment
    4. They want your cat
    5. They want your dog
    6. They just plain and simple want attention and so they will testify against you for cash
lol wow...food for thought....thats some real New York s--t

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to stormgal again."

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 11:30 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I don't really have a problem with the question the OP posed. Sometimes when living in an environment so completely different than NYC, people have a hard time wrapping their heads around how things are done here. It's fine to ask questions and I don't think it's necessary to jump down OP's throat for asking.

I bet if you check, there are probably some pretty interesting books and maybe documentaries on policing in NYC. It could be a good topic to read up on.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:32 AM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I will point out that NYC is one of, if not the, safest big cities in the US.

The OPs question should probably be aimed at someplace like Chicago.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:44 PM

14 posts, read 17,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Are you high?
I wouldn't be asking anyone else that question with a screen name like that lol but no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
Do you find these questions silly? Why do you think your question is any less thoughtless? The ratio of police to residents is what matters -- what, did you think there were only ten or twelve cops in the city the way there are in a town of 8,000 people? As it is, New York has roughly 1 police officer for every 240 residents -- which is plenty.
No need to try and insult my intelligence because you ASSUMED I was insulting your city. I had no idea personal curiosity makes everyone so angry nowadays.

Anyway, yes I find my question much more thoughtful than the sarcasm you wasted your time typing out. You mentioned that there's 1 officer for 240 residents which is plenty. From the outside looking in, (even if I had that information to begin with, which I didn't so I asked people here), let's say 2 of the 240 people are criminals. The first criminal is average. The second criminal is highly intelligent. That just doesn't seem like enough police to me to effectively police such a sprawling metropolis....which is part of the reason why I asked the residents of New York for their input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't really have a problem with the question the OP posed. Sometimes when living in an environment so completely different than NYC, people have a hard time wrapping their heads around how things are done here. It's fine to ask questions and I don't think it's necessary to jump down OP's throat for asking.

I bet if you check, there are probably some pretty interesting books and maybe documentaries on policing in NYC. It could be a good topic to read up on.
Thank you for being reasonable and realizing I wasn't trying to attack anyone with my questions. I'm just genuinely curious and I've never been to NY so I figured I would ask people who actually live there to gain overview information in the quickest manner. The media portrays New York in such a way that people who aren't from there or have never been may be coerced to believe that if you go there, you're going to get robbed, etc. I didn't mean to cause any harm.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:09 AM

99 posts, read 144,040 times
To the ORIGINAL POSTER.

I will answer your question HONESTLY because the bozos on this post are doing everything to make fun of you but ducking your question.
NYC is NOT AS SAFE as 'they' make it appear. The Police Dept. does a great job of making the city APPEAR safer than it really is.
They do this by 'downgrading' crimes.
Rapes turn to 'forcible touching'.
Domestic violence assaults turn to 'disorderly conducts'
u got robbed for $5k Movado watch? Ehhh thats a 'petty larceny'.
Pistol whipped? No assault here. Just a classic case of 'Battery in the 3rd degree'.
Credit cards stolen? No identity theft here just a good old 'possession of stolen property'.
Got 20grams of powdered cocaine ? nahh thats not 'intent to distrubute' thats "personal use"
Im sure you get the jist of what im telling you.

These same bozos telling you how safe they feel are the same people THAT WILL NOT let there wife go central park after dark alone or ride the subway after 10pm.
As far as cameras go...lets be real baseball hats, ski masks, hoodies, and gloves = that problem solved. They wont tell you the stats on how MANY people are ON THE RUN RIGHT NOW for open cases, warrants, wanted for being a 'person of interest' basically meaning they CANT PROVE they did the crime but simply want to 'talk' to them. Those numbers are staggering trust me.

Dont carry I.D. , give your cousins name that looks somewhat like you, memorize his 6digit license# and date of birth and you too can be a top goon in ny. Im giving these squares too much game so imma just shut up now.

But yea NY is def safe if u live in yorkville (Upper East Side) in a doorman building like most of them and dont come outside after 10p.m. and take UBERS everywhere you go. Is it 1990's crime rate NY? Of course not but dont for a second think your safe. Oh yea whoever gave the 1 cop per 240 people ratio is smoking angel dust and i want some so i can live in his fantasy land.

Police will NEVER be able to control crime in NYC quite simply because poverty breeds crime.
Cops dont even chase criminals anymore in fear of getting shot. They just let them get away usually. They got a family to go home too and it's just not worth it to them. They are also legally NOT allowed to chase motorcycles so shoot that kawasaki up a 1way street in gridlock NY traffic and your home free.

But hey what do i know...im just a 2x felon who been gaming this joke of a system for a decade.
(note: username)

Last edited by iHateNYPD; 12-11-2017 at 04:38 AM..

Old 12-11-2017, 06:02 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateNYPD View Post
To the ORIGINAL POSTER.

I will answer your question HONESTLY because the bozos on this post are doing everything to make fun of you but ducking your question.
NYC is NOT AS SAFE as 'they' make it appear. The Police Dept. does a great job of making the city APPEAR safer than it really is.
Pistol whipped? No assault here. Just a classic case of 'Battery in the 3rd degree'.
Credit cards stolen? No identity theft here just a good old 'possession of stolen property'.
Got 20grams of powdered cocaine ? nahh thats not 'intent to distrubute' thats "personal use"

These same bozos telling you how safe they feel are the same people THAT WILL NOT let there wife go central park after dark alone or ride the subway after 10pm.
As far as cameras go...lets be real baseball hats, ski masks, hoodies, and gloves = that problem solved. They wont tell you the stats on how MANY people are ON THE RUN RIGHT NOW for open cases, warrants, wanted for being a 'person of interest' basically meaning they CANT PROVE they did the crime but simply want to 'talk' to them. Those numbers are staggering trust me.

Dont carry I.D. , give your cousins name that looks somewhat like you, memorize his 6digit license# and date of birth and you too can be a top goon in ny. Im giving these squares too much game so imma just shut up now.

But yea NY is def safe if u live in yorkville (Upper East Side) in a doorman building like most of them and dont come outside after 10p.m. and take UBERS everywhere you go. Is it 1990's crime rate NY? Of course not but dont for a second think your safe. Oh yea whoever gave the 1 cop per 240 people ratio is smoking angel dust and i want some so i can live in his fantasy land.

Police will NEVER be able to control crime in NYC quite simply because poverty breeds crime.
Cops dont even chase criminals anymore in fear of getting shot. They just let them get away usually. They got a family to go home too and it's just not worth it to them. They are also legally NOT allowed to chase motorcycles so shoot that kawasaki up a 1way street in gridlock NY traffic and your home free.

But hey what do i know...im just a 2x felon who been gaming this joke of a system for a decade.
WoW

I gave Reps.

To be quite honest, after a certain time of night, I don't feel safe on the street, no matter where I'm at....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-11-2017, 03:06 PM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Sorry, but this is bull$hit.

Yes, the numbers get cooked, but do you think that didn't get done back in the bad old days, and probably worse (because things were much less computerized, and cross referencing number was more difficult.) I trust the murder numbers, because it's hard to make the bodies go away. But things match up much anecdotally with the numbers.

I moved into NYC in 1989. Back then I saw much more crime than I do now. I never lived in the slums, but even in the supposedly good areas, crime was much more out of control back then. There was rampant open street drug dealing. There were several very active hooker strolls. I had a few family members who got mugged. When I was in my first apartment, burglars crowbarred their way into my neighbor's apartment while she was there (they ran off when she screamed and realized someone was home.) I remember seeing the cops chase someone downtown, and the perp throwing a gun under a car to try and get rid of it (not too subtle.) I've seen nothing like all this crap for years.

I have no problem going out any time of night. I have no problem walking across central park at night. IF you go looking for trouble, I'm sure you can find it. But if you don't, you likely won't.

And everything is relative. Is NYC perfectly safe? No, and it will never be. Is it safer than most big cities? Definitely. That's about as much as anyone can hope for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateNYPD View Post
To the ORIGINAL POSTER.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: