Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:50 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Nowhere to be honest, but there are people that will either vote Republican or are conservative Democrats... The type that would raise their eyebrow if certain types of people moved into the neighborhood. If you're on the UES a lot like I am you get that feeling. Very liberal overall, but every now and then you get a few snobs... Those are the types that I think of.

The gf and I aren't that serious yet to live together, though we do spend a lot of time together, so we'll see.
Your gf lives on the Upper East Side? I don't think she'd be any happier there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 01:55 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Your gf lives on the Upper East Side? I don't think she'd be any happier there.
Nice try, but I'm not disclosing my locations... What I said was that your friend likely lives on the UES given what you said about her, but I will say that I do spend a lot of time there dining, shopping and so on. You can draw from that what you will. Different stores have a level of snobbery/uptight feel though... Agata & Valentina comes to mind on 79th and 1st over in Yorkville/UES.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Hearing the responses I'd think that people just don't care who their neighbors are (but I don't believe that). So all of a sudden I find it really odd that no one ever asks about ideology or political leanings. -- people ask about plenty of other things all the time. If no one cares about having things in common with their neighbors, this wouldn't be such a segregated city, right?
The city is too large for every last neighborhood to be integrated.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:16 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Quote:
I realize that overall, NYC is an overwhelmingly liberal city, but there are some conservative enclaves here. Do you prefer to live in an area with politically and ideologically like-minded people? Does it even enter your mind when choosing a neighborhood?

I have a friend who is very conservative, and she's very unhappy where she lives because she doesn't feel that she can express her views (people become extremely hostile to her). Her son (who is about 14) has been ridiculed in school after expressing support for Donald Trump.

I started thinking about this reading the Parkchester discussion. In the Bronx many more conservatives can be found in neighborhoods like Woodlawn and Pelham Bay but they are scarce in the rest of the borough. I was wondering if people with extreme right-leaning views would be happy in the majority of the neighborhoods here.
Quote:
Hearing the responses I'd think that people just don't care who their neighbors are (but I don't believe that). So all of a sudden I find it really odd that no one ever asks about ideology or political leanings. -- people ask about plenty of other things all the time. If no one cares about having things in common with their neighbors, this wouldn't be such a segregated city, right?
You find it hard to believe that no on ever asks about political leanings or ideology? I'm not that old but I've actually never had a person at work or a neighbor ask me about my political beliefs. Usually, people don't go running around asking others about their political beliefs. The only ones who do are usually hyper politicized themselves.

I wouldn't care what my neighbors believed. How does it affect me? Does your friend live in a neighborhood like Carrol Gardens/Park Slope/etc.?

As it relates to her son, how would a 14 year old have any true political beliefs? What does a 14 year old know about anything besides that genocide is bad, murder is bad, stealing is bad, etc.? The 14 year old is most likely just parroting what he's hearing at home. Furthermore, how many 14 year olds talk politics? If it were my kid, I'd tell him to keep his mouth shut about politics. Whether people agree with them or not.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:22 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Yes!
I don't want to live around Trumpets

Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times
I only consider the leanings of my pocket and convenience for commute and other things when choosing my neighborhood. I work with the biggest trump supporters ever. Like, hail trump, thank god he is the president, Fox all day, everyday. Many of my co-workers ar ex military, older, white males. It bothers me not one bit.

I consider myself a conservative liberal. I believe in responsible gun ownership. I am for welfare and immigration reform. I give my opinions when I feel like it. I articulate my position and respect other's point of view. I don't hang out with my co-workers or neighbors. So their political leanings have no bearings on me.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You find it hard to believe that no on ever asks about political leanings or ideology? I'm not that old but I've actually never had a person at work or a neighbor ask me about my political beliefs. Usually, people don't go running around asking others about their political beliefs. The only ones who do are usually hyper politicized themselves.

I wouldn't care what my neighbors believed. How does it affect me? Does your friend live in a neighborhood like Carrol Gardens/Park Slope/etc.?

As it relates to her son, how would a 14 year old have any true political beliefs? What does a 14 year old know about anything besides that genocide is bad, murder is bad, stealing is bad, etc.? The 14 year old is most likely just parroting what he's hearing at home. Furthermore, how many 14 year olds talk politics? If it were my kid, I'd tell him to keep his mouth shut about politics. Whether people agree with them or not.
You don't have to talk about politics to talk about politics, meaning that someone's ideology permeates many discussions and someone may not need to ask you about your political beliefs to have an idea what they are. I guess her beliefs are often apparent to people she interacts with, or theirs are apparent to her (and neither are well received). And I guess it's the same with her kids. And she thinks the school has a strong liberal bias not only in social studies (which starts at 11 or 12), but also in the books her kids have been assigned in English or ELA. You don't have kids yet if I remember correctly, but most take on the views of their parents pretty early.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes!
I don't want to live around Trumpets
I hear ya!

Old 01-12-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I only consider the leanings of my pocket and convenience for commute and other things when choosing my neighborhood. I work with the biggest trump supporters ever. Like, hail trump, thank god he is the president, Fox all day, everyday. Many of my co-workers ar ex military, older, white males. It bothers me not one bit.

I consider myself a conservative liberal. I believe in responsible gun ownership. I am for welfare and immigration reform. I give my opinions when I feel like it. I articulate my position and respect other's point of view. I don't hang out with my co-workers or neighbors. So their political leanings have no bearings on me.
Thanks for responding.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:51 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Quote:
You don't have to talk about politics to talk about politics, meaning that someone's ideology permeates many discussions and someone may not need to ask you about your political beliefs to have an idea what they are. I guess her beliefs are often apparent to people she interacts with, or theirs are apparent to her (and neither are well received). And I guess it's the same with her kids. And she thinks the school has a strong liberal bias not only in social studies (which starts at 11 or 12), but also in the books her kids have been assigned in English or ELA. You don't have kids yet if I remember correctly, but most take on the views of their parents pretty early.
Everything you've described above is true of a hyper politicized person and, I grant you, there are many today in our hyper politicized atmosphere.

However, personally, I never read into people's political beliefs for three reasons. Firstly, politics is politics and political views can only hurt personal relationships. Disagreements matter a lot more than agreements. Secondly, most people aren't monolithic in their views so it's dangerous and unfair to assume this or that about a person. Thirdly, many people are full of **** and hypocrites. Talk is cheap, right? People will say things just because.

If I had to guess from what you described, your friend is hyper politicized. A strong liberal bias in her son's school? Is the education provided good? I don't quite understand what a strong liberal bias in a middle or HS is. We live in the Northeast. This was part of the Union after all and not the Confederacy. Culturally, we've always been a more liberal region.

I'm just curious. What neighborhood/ borough does your friend live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City