Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 07:26 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
That's an interesting way to look at it, but she wasn't conservative. She opposed the ides of Moses -- tower in the park, destruction of existing neighborhoods for highways etc. Moses was a conservative, right? She favored community-based planning and was against development for the auto -- a more autonomous and independent form of transportation.
Moses was the liberal that thought big central government knew best of what people want and need. Jacobs was the conservative that wanted organic growth at as local of a level as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 07:31 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
As parents I think we all want kids to have our values, and values are hopefully behind political leanings and ideology. I strongly believe the majority of politicians are pieces of sh** and would not blindly follow or want my kids to follow anyone or any ideology.

I'm remembering that at one point my daughter came home and said something like "it's wrong for people to have to pay taxes to support other people's bad decisions". This was following some social studies discussion...We talked about it and I explained the reasons I thought a safety net was a good thing. Anyway I hope that in the end we are teaching them to think for themselves. They will become their own people and may not think exactly like us when they are older. If you actually insist that they do, they may be less likely to do so in the end.
While I won't engage in personal obnoxiousness, and will not participate in any further discussion involving race (as I am not a racist, and believe in every race having equal rights and equal personal responsibilities), I will comment on specific economic/lifestyle points. I also approve of a safety net, but the one where everybody buys into a specific type of insurance (health, disability, life, disaster, unemployment, whatever). If somebody within the insurance network gets hit by a misfortune, there will be enough funds in the network to support this person/family. But the system where you have half of the people living on generational handouts, never contributing anything to the network, and the other half is barely able to afford for themselves while having to fully support the other half's handouts as well - that is not a safety net, but a rather overt theft. Having insurance rather than welfare is a matter of fairness and civilized coexistence with other people.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:47 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,634,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
While I won't engage in personal obnoxiousness, and will not participate in any further discussion involving race (as I am not a racist, and believe in every race having equal rights and equal personal responsibilities), I will comment on specific economic/lifestyle points. I also approve of a safety net, but the one where everybody buys into a specific type of insurance (health, disability, life, disaster, unemployment, whatever). If somebody within the insurance network gets hit by a misfortune, there will be enough funds in the network to support this person/family. But the system where you have half of the people living on generational handouts, never contributing anything to the network, and the other half is barely able to afford for themselves while having to fully support the other half's handouts as well - that is not a safety net, but a rather overt theft. Having insurance rather than welfare is a matter of fairness and civilized coexistence with other people.
I was personally obnoxious to you? Eh, I don't want to go down some welfare rabbit hole sorry.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:48 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
What I was trying to say is that people do seem to care who their neighbors are and whether they have things in common with them. I don't know how many threads over the years have been white person moving to whatever neighborhood, or black person moving to whatever neighborhood, which would seem to matter less than ideology. It all of a sudden seemed strange that the question was never even asked considering all the other things that have been brought up.
I think in general, people moving here know it's not going to be an ultra conservative place to live. I don't think there is a big enough difference between neighborhoods, except maybe ones that are orthodox, that it's a point of concern. There is too much fluidity anyway from one neighborhood to the next to be extremely separated ideologically. Many people moving here, first and foremost, care about their safety based on what they can afford.

If you look at other forums on this board, people DO often consider political leanings.

For me, I would be more concerned with religion. If I was moving somewhere, I'd have to know if the place is heavily religious, which in many places down south for example, then influences politics. If I move to a small town with three churches and everyone belongs to at least one of them, I would have to know I'm not going to get side-eyed and hated if I didn't belong. But most people moving to NYC don't ask about religion because we don't swing hard one way or another with it. They're more likely to ask if they are religious because of their perceptions about NYC.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:50 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Your kids are young (mine are 14 and 17). I was wondering what colleges in New York you'd consider to be blatantly leftist?
Here in NY I’d only take issue with Columbia and Hunter. Oddly enough, you don’t hear about much extreme wackiness happening in our colleges and universities.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:57 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
As parents I think we all want kids to have our values, and values are hopefully behind political leanings and ideology. I strongly believe the majority of politicians are pieces of sh** and would not blindly follow or want my kids to follow anyone or any ideology.
I’m in total agreement with you. My beliefs have nothing to do with the politicians pushing them. They’re nearly all the worst scum of humanity, regardless of their beliefs.

My main issue is guns. I won’t be lectured by my own kids on this issue. Since it’s become a top 3 subject for lefty’s to dismantle the 2nd a Amendment, they will certainly face indoctrination on this point should they rub elbows too much with those who oppose my views.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:04 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
I was personally obnoxious to you? Eh, I don't want to go down some welfare rabbit hole sorry.
No, you personally weren't, some other people were. But you raised the question of social safety net, and I responded what I think a civilized safety net is (and again, civilized in this or any other context does NOT mean racist.- civility is a fair contract with other people, not a racial feature).

Old 01-14-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I think in general, people moving here know it's not going to be an ultra conservative place to live. I don't think there is a big enough difference between neighborhoods, except maybe ones that are orthodox, that it's a point of concern. There is too much fluidity anyway from one neighborhood to the next to be extremely separated ideologically. Many people moving here, first and foremost, care about their safety based on what they can afford.

If you look at other forums on this board, people DO often consider political leanings.

For me, I would be more concerned with religion. If I was moving somewhere, I'd have to know if the place is heavily religious, which in many places down south for example, then influences politics. If I move to a small town with three churches and everyone belongs to at least one of them, I would have to know I'm not going to get side-eyed and hated if I didn't belong. But most people moving to NYC don't ask about religion because we don't swing hard one way or another with it. They're more likely to ask if they are religious because of their perceptions about NYC.
I disagree with that. What part of the city do you live in?

In the Bronx, neighborhoods have some obvious differences (ethnically/linguistically too) but political (or ideological) differences are also there. Again, I think it's really more of an issue if you spend a lot of time your neighbors, which is unavoidable when you have kids, especially of a certain age.

It's true about religion--I didn't think about that at all. People here don't tend to talk much about their religion or try to proselytise so it's pretty much a non issue.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Here in NY I’d only take issue with Columbia and Hunter. Oddly enough, you don’t hear about much extreme wackiness happening in our colleges and universities.
I went to both Hunter and City College, and don't remember one being more liberal than the other. I have no idea about Columbia.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
No, you personally weren't, some other people were. But you raised the question of social safety net, and I responded what I think a civilized safety net is (and again, civilized in this or any other context does NOT mean racist.- civility is a fair contract with other people, not a racial feature).
I was trying to say that my daughter got information from her teacher (who I mentioned in a previous post) about the social safety net, and I gave my input, and in the end, she will decide for herself what to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City