Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Moses was the liberal that thought big central government knew best of what people want and need. Jacobs was the conservative that wanted organic growth at as local of a level as possible.
Didn't Moses run for something as a Republican? I think leaders of both parties think they know what's best for people's wants and needs. Jacobs wasn't known as politically conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’m in total agreement with you. My beliefs have nothing to do with the politicians pushing them. They’re nearly all the worst scum of humanity, regardless of their beliefs.

My main issue is guns. I won’t be lectured by my own kids on this issue. Since it’s become a top 3 subject for lefty’s to dismantle the 2nd a Amendment, they will certainly face indoctrination on this point should they rub elbows too much with those who oppose my views.
My wanting to live around people of my political ideology is less about indoctrination of my kids and more about personal annoyance at some of the people I've encountered. Generally I think it's a good thing to expose kids to different experiences and people early on. For example if someone says something or acts in a way that you disapprove of when they are young, you can explain your point of view, and they really listen. The door starts to close at a certain age-- you fall off the pedestal at some point. Better in my opinion to talk about things earlier rather than later.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:29 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I was trying to say that my daughter got information from her teacher (who I mentioned in a previous post) about the social safety net, and I gave my input, and in the end, she will decide for herself what to think.
Ok, I guess you were making a point about your child getting an opposing sociopolitical message from you vs teacher (the teacher I guess being a representative of something in your neighborhood that is not in agreement with you), rather than a point about safety net.

Back to my interest in living in Parkchester, the Bronx, while being fiscally conservative. As I already mentioned on the other thread, the Parkchester management company does not rent to Section 8, does not accept housing subsidies. Some private owners might still be renting to subsidized renters, I don't know how many or if any, but I do know that there is a strong sentiment from owner-occupants and renters in Parkchester against any subsidized renters. Both the owner-occupants and the majority of renters in Parkchester tend to be people of limited means who have worked very hard to be able to get into Parkchester. They do not look kindly upon Section 8, not just as an unfairness in principle, but as a very practical potential source of disturbance and crime. When you go beyond the liberal-conservative labeling, and get to specific practical concerns about living in a certain neighborhood, in my case you would see that I fit perfectly in Parkchester, and my interests are entirely in alignment with those of the majority of my neighbors there.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Ok, I guess you were making a point about your child getting an opposing sociopolitical message from you vs teacher (the teacher I guess being a representative of something in your neighborhood that is not in agreement with you), rather than a point about safety net.

Back to my interest in living in Parkchester, the Bronx, while being fiscally conservative. As I already mentioned on the other thread, the Parkchester management company does not rent to Section 8, does not accept housing subsidies. Some private owners might still be renting to subsidized renters, I don't know how many or if any, but I do know that there is a strong sentiment from owner-occupants and renters in Parkchester against any subsidized renters. Both the owner-occupants and the majority of renters in Parkchester tend to be people of limited means who have worked very hard to be able to get into Parkchester. They do not look kindly upon Section 8, not just as an unfairness in principle, but as a very practical potential source of disturbance and crime. When you go beyond the liberal-conservative labeling, and get to specific practical concerns about living in a certain neighborhood, in my case you would see that I fit perfectly in Parkchester, and my interests are entirely in alignment with those of the majority of my neighbors there.
A lot of landlords don't take or try not to take Section 8. How does Parkchester management legally do that though? It's illegal for buildings of a certain size to consider source of income for tenants isn't it? We're small landlords and don't take Section 8, but legally we can say no because of the building size.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
A lot of landlords don't take or try not to take Section 8. How does Parkchester management legally do that though? It's illegal for buildings of a certain size to consider source of income for tenants isn't it? We're small landlords and don't take Section 8, but legally we can say no because of the building size.
You can call them and ask. I don't know the legal rules about it, but the Parkchester North website states they do not accept Section 8, so it must be legal.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
You can call them and ask. I don't know the legal rules about it, but the Parkchester North website states they do not accept Section 8, so it must be legal.
You don't call the entity potentially violating the law to see if what they're doing is illegal. Someone who wants to find out if Parkchester North's actions are legal needs to call a NYC landlord/tenant attorney. You can google one. Or call the NYC Bar and ask them. There are some other landlord/tenant hotlines.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I'd be interested to know but I guess not interested enough to make the effort myself

Old 01-14-2018, 10:21 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Didn't Moses run for something as a Republican? I think leaders of both parties think they know what's best for people's wants and needs. Jacobs wasn't known as politically conservative.
If there is anyone that benefited or took advantage of the liberal policy of FDR, it was Robert Moses.

Both Democrats and Republicans do think they know best, but conservative want you and I to be able to know whats best for ourselves.

And it doesn't matter what political affiliation Jacobs was known by. What she was famous for being known by was based off a conservative principle.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I'd be interested to know but I guess not interested enough to make the effort myself
Parkchester management does not own the Parkchester buildings (two condo associations own them, North and South, per usual condo regulations), and it probably by now owns under 50% of units (they have sold a lot of units to private owners like me). So, I would say Parkchester probably owns less than 50% units, private investors own and rent out more than 30%, and 19% are owner occupied. It is possible that the lesser than 50% ownership of common condo interest in the buildings exempts Parkchester management from the laws you are talking about.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If there is anyone that benefited or took advantage of the liberal policy of FDR, it was Robert Moses.

Both Democrats and Republicans do think they know best, but conservative want you and I to be able to know whats best for ourselves.

And it doesn't matter what political affiliation Jacobs was known by. What she was famous for being known by was based off a conservative principle.
I will disagree again. Jane Jacobs wanted integrated development that encouraged walkability. New Urbanism is known for pedestrian friendly and environmentally friendly development - really generally not a conservative priority.

Conservative government is all for personal choice and states rights until they disagree-example California and the legalization of marijuana vs. the Trump administration. And conservatives aren't necessarily known as the power to the people party - Citizen's United for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City