Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:40 AM

81 posts, read 96,522 times

Advertisements

I received a contract that basically says if my employment changes I will surrender my entire deposit (it also outlines in another article that I'll pay the broker's fee). Is this typical or normal for a regular sale?

"Purchaser cannot cancel this Contract pursuant to and cannot obtain a refund of the Contract Deposit if the Institutional Lender fails to fund the loan:

because a requirement of the Loan Commitment Letter concerning the purchaser is not met (e.g. Purchaser's financial condition or employment status suffers an adverse change; Purchaser fails to satisfy a condition relating to the sale of an existing residence, etc.) or

due to the expiration of a Loan Commitment Letter issued with an expiration date that is not more than 30 business days after the Scheduled Closing Date."

exact articles in contract:
18.3.7 Purchaser cannot cancel this Contract pursuant to

18.3.1.4 and cannot obtain a refund of the Contract Deposit if the Institutional Lender fails to fund the loan:

18.3.7.1 because a requirement of the Loan Commitment Letter concerning the purchaser is not met (e.g. Purchaser's financial condition or employment status suffers an adverse change; Purchaser fails to satisfy a condition relating to the sale of an existing residence, etc.) or

18.3.7.2 due to the expiration of a Loan Commitment Letter issued with an expiration date that is not more than 30 business days after the Scheduled Closing Date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 06:00 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,580,585 times
I believe this is not a common practice, but it can be done. You can have anything in contract as long as is not illegal. It just doesnt look like you got a good contract.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:04 AM

25,378 posts, read 37,110,432 times
?????????
Deposit for what?
Contract for what?

Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 AM

31,940 posts, read 27,048,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candlestix View Post
I received a contract that basically says if my employment changes I will surrender my entire deposit (it also outlines in another article that I'll pay the broker's fee). Is this typical or normal for a regular sale?

"Purchaser cannot cancel this Contract pursuant to and cannot obtain a refund of the Contract Deposit if the Institutional Lender fails to fund the loan:

because a requirement of the Loan Commitment Letter concerning the purchaser is not met (e.g. Purchaser's financial condition or employment status suffers an adverse change; Purchaser fails to satisfy a condition relating to the sale of an existing residence, etc.) or

due to the expiration of a Loan Commitment Letter issued with an expiration date that is not more than 30 business days after the Scheduled Closing Date."

exact articles in contract:
18.3.7 Purchaser cannot cancel this Contract pursuant to

18.3.1.4 and cannot obtain a refund of the Contract Deposit if the Institutional Lender fails to fund the loan:

18.3.7.1 because a requirement of the Loan Commitment Letter concerning the purchaser is not met (e.g. Purchaser's financial condition or employment status suffers an adverse change; Purchaser fails to satisfy a condition relating to the sale of an existing residence, etc.) or

18.3.7.2 due to the expiration of a Loan Commitment Letter issued with an expiration date that is not more than 30 business days after the Scheduled Closing Date.

Sounds like you are buying a house/condo or something and they are telling you up front if you do not complete the transaction, you're screwed.

What contract basically says if you do not perform (take the apartment/house or whatever) you forfeit your deposit *and* are still liable for broker's fees. They are also telling you upfront they don't want to hear your loan fell through, you lost your job or suffered a decrease in wages, or any of the other points laid out in contract. In short it is a very long legal way of saying "give me my money".

Pretty straight forward and rather standard. If you signed this piece of paper, then that is that anyway. If you haven't then it might be a good time to consult competent legal advice.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 AM

251 posts, read 204,373 times
I was about to be like WTF then realized that IF this is for a home sale or mortgage agreement then yeah they are just covering their ass in case you make an excuse that you can't go through with the sale so they at least recoup something for their lost time or losing out on other potential buyers.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:07 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,504,042 times
Without knowing the specifics, my first instinct would be to walk away and look elsewhere.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Without knowing the specifics, my first instinct would be to walk away and look elsewhere.

Looking elsewhere may not solve anything.

As stated those conditions or similar are or have become pretty much boilerplate these days.

People are getting tired of the games or whatever some egits play. That is wasting their time and so forth then turning around at last minute and want out of a deal because the sun rose this morning in the east.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:10 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,504,042 times
Then the market will disintermediate, and people won't be able to sell their property. I'd never sign a contract like that.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Then the market will disintermediate, and people won't be able to sell their property. I'd never sign a contract like that.

Why? All the contract does is allow seller or whomever to recoup their costs in case *you* back out for an unacceptable reason.

While you've put an offer on a place or whatever a seller has turned down/away others. Then you bust out with "I'm sorry but my bank said "no", or "I just lost my job".....

All the contact does is give the other party certain rights. They *may* choose to let you (or the OP) off the hook, then again maybe not. Depends upon what game you bring and perhaps how they feel about your reasons for wanting to back out.

Again it is standard boilerplate for most contracts to contain some language regarding breech, and the other party's remedies.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:47 PM

48 posts, read 48,690 times
It looks like you waived your "mortgage contingency". Most brokers and lawyers will advise against this unless you were absolutely 100% sure you will get the loan (which you can never be 100%). Its possible that the bank will find something wrong with the property which is completely out of your control and you will be on the hook for the deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City