Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 01:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
How many Terabytes of tiddays??

They are pretty efficient from their Seattle base. The Amazon website runs 24/7. They have a small office in NYC where they do the marketing and buying from. I don't see the point in opening up another huge headquarter.

Now Apple wants to follow suit and open a East coast HQ. For what??
The CIA uses Amazon's cloud for its DATA. So one important reason for Amazon to have a headquarters on the East Coast is to have a headquarters close to DC. NYC still has financial services and advertising, so Amazon would like to be close to that. If one has to fly to Asia, Seattle is good, but if one needs to fly to Europe some place on the East Coast is a lot better.

There are plenty of reasons for Amazon to want a second headquarters on the East Coast. Obviously Besos and company know what they're doing, so else they wouldn't be so successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 01:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
So far, I read that DC has everything going for it. DC has a major colleges like Georgetown, George Washington University, Howard University. As well as Ivy Leaguers and other top private college grads flock to DC after college looking for work. DC also has reliable transportation, however DC Metro like the MTA has hiccups. Also DC area has three area airports, Dulles, BWI, and Ronald Reagan International Airport. Another reason why DC is a great location is that it is the midpoint between the Northeast and the Southeast of the Atlantic USA. DC area will be able to pull minds as for north as Boston and NYC, to far south as GA and Florida. to certain degree NYC will benefit from a DC area Amazon HQ due to DC being not to geographically far from NYC and DC is part of the Northeast.

Atlanta has great areal transportation with Heartsfield International airport being a hub for both Delta and Jet Blue. Also Atlanta is home to Emory University and Spellman College.

Boston has Boston College, Boston University, MIT, Havard, Mt Ida, and all sorts of other colleges that will be able to allow graduates to gravitate to Amazon. Boston also has a decent transportation network, Logan International airport.

With the East Coast. Amazon has access to Europe, Africa, Middle East, the Caribbean and Latin America for business.

The other 2 hot spots are Raleigh North Carolina which is part of the health triangle tech business. The major university system out there is UNC. NC is tax lucrative state. Why do you think so many New Yorkers relocated down there besides to retire. Transportation side, NC does not fair to well.

As for Austin which is the 5th spot. Austin is home to other tech companies. Texas does not specialize in software, but mainly in hardware. Dell, Texas Instruments and Arm are all located in Texas. Austin as Texas University, but lacks transportation and not a major hub for airlines. But that city is growing.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-22-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 01:41 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,078,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What’s the point of asking for an answer that you refuse to consider?

What part of “Amazon wants to get even bigger and be a more powerful global player” do you not get? They are fine right now with Seattle but they feel that to take it to another level, i.e. go into other industries like they’ve been doing with grocery and drones delivery, they need a base in another part of the country.
Whole Foods is based in Texas. Amazon pretty much kept the corporate structure of Whole Foods intact. Similar to what they did with Zappos based in Nevada, Diapers.com based in New Jersey,etc. The accounts payable for Amazon is based in India. The IT dept for wholesale customers is based in India. Any inquiries about open invoices, EDI, Item Set-up, etc is made on Vendor Central and sent to India. They have a small office in NYC in which they do marketing and have a small buying team.

A HQ in Canada, South America, Europe, in the APAC region would make more sense if Amazon wanted to become a more powerful global player. The APAC region would make a lot of sense since Amazon opened up their 1st Australian distribution and Amazon China. Amazon launched their own men's apparel line so an HQ in China would make a lot more sense. Especially since all the consumer goods that they sell comes from China. They could set up a DAP incoterms with their vendors in which they just pick up the goods from the Chinese factory and take ownership.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:06 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I never said companies didn't want to be in NYC. However, if you've been out of NYC, you would know major companies tend to have presences in major cities around the nation and around the world.
No, that is not what you said

You tried to make a point that nyc isn’t important anymore and won’t be. By stating X amount of companies leaving, and actually saying no tech companies have headquarters here. Which is not true

Old 01-22-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post

You tried to make a point that nyc isn’t important anymore and won’t be. By stating X amount of companies leaving, and actually saying no tech companies have headquarters here. Which is not true
NYC is an information hub. Do you know how much bits of information flow into NYC from the world. Those flow of bits is a huge commodity.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:13 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post

You are a terrible debater. You basically misrepresent what people say or take the most extreme case of what people are saying and then claiming it to be false.

You did the same with my post earlier but I let it go since it’s useless to explain to you.

No one said NYC isn’t important anymore (or in my post, which you twisted into somehow I said NYC was a “toilet” which I never said anything close to that). People are saying that NYC’s importance is waning and so is its dominance but not that it is not important or dominant. It still is, just to a lesser degree than it used to be and will be even moreso in the future.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
You are a terrible debater. You basically misrepresent what people say or take the most extreme case of what people are saying and then claiming it to be false.

You did the same with my post earlier but I let it go since it’s useless to explain to you.

No one said NYC isn’t important anymore (or in my post, which you twisted into somehow I said NYC was a “toilet” which I never said anything close to that). People are saying that NYC’s importance is waning and so is its dominance but not that it is not important or dominant. It still is, just to a lesser degree than it used to be and will be even moreso in the future.

Some posters on here demand NYC to be at top tier. If NYC drops, folks like Wawewewa can kiss their jobs goodbye. These individuals depend on NYC being number 1. Sadly things such as political global hegemony changes.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Amazon is building a sorting center in Staten Island. Amazon has business here. it does not make sense to build an HQ here.
I agree, Newark has a better chance and that isn’t saying much

But as bad as mta is, Marta is even worse most people drive in ATL despite it. Not sure what Raleigh has for public transportation. DC metro rail is okay but not expansive enough. Just shows how much America falls behind in public transportation compared to other countries.

Last edited by cheyenne2134; 01-22-2018 at 02:36 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Okay, that’s a bit obvious as technology and transportation continues to grow nowhere will be the epicenter like before. Like I said that’s not what he said, he went through multiple post claiming businesses are leaving and no tech companies are headquarters here. Which was false

Old 01-22-2018, 02:54 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
How many Terabytes of tiddays??

They are pretty efficient from their Seattle base. The Amazon website runs 24/7. They have a small office in NYC where they do the marketing and buying from. I don't see the point in opening up another huge headquarter.

Now Apple wants to follow suit and open a East coast HQ. For what??
There is something to be said by the fact that they want and need an east coast presence. Large companies almost always have a big presence on both coasts as well as in major foreign cites. The tech companies I have worked for have always had large offices in NYC and CA (usually SF but my current company has their base in LA/Santa Monica) as well as London. Our NYC office is mainly the client facing arm with sales, account managers and client services. We are in nyc becase that’s where many of our clients or data partners are located and we need to be able to get to them easily. If our clients are not IN nyc, then they are easily accessible from NYC by train or plane. The accessibility to our clients and data partners is very important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City