Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 09:38 AM

430 posts, read 506,233 times

Advertisements

https://www.politico.com/states/new-...-queens-685121

Amazon is eyeing a sprawling, family-owned waterfront site surrounding the Anable Basin in Long Island City for its potential move to New York, several sources with knowledge of the plan told POLITICO.

The development would span a neighboring, city-owned site to the north that the Economic Development Corporation is seeking to turn into a 1.5 million-square-foot mixed-use project, the sources said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
I wonder if Cornell Tech played a factor in the decision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_Tech

Old 11-07-2018, 09:55 AM

430 posts, read 506,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post

No they didn’t.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:02 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
You say this based on what?

A big part of the decision seems to be based on the ability to find workers with the technical skill they need. The presence of a major university technology campus, yards (as the crow flies) from where they're saying they're moving would very likely be a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
No they didn’t.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:51 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post

I'm not sure. Long Island City has a population in which 40% of its population has a 4 year degree, and most of those degree holders come from top tier schools and not from a state school. Also Queens has two airports, access to transportation, and NYS tax deal. I think Amazon wont pay taxes up for 10 years. Crystal City near DC is similar. I have been to Crystal City, everyone that lives there has a 4 year degree, very yuppie, transit to DC is nearby, and Ronald Reagan Airport is down the street. Crystal City Amazon hq will give Amazon to K street and DC contractors and the government. With the NYC office, Amazon will obtain access to Wall Street. Dallas came close, especially since Texas offered a far more superior tax deal than NYS, but Dallas Texas lacks college degree holders that the NYC region has. I'm surprised Boston didn't make it. Boston area has more degree holders than the NYC region in terms of percentage.

My big concern is transit. Especially one seat transit. Example, The Metro North trains that will be running on the Amtrak line will zip through Long Island City when completion. A Long Island City stop should be added so that commuters wont need to go to GC terminal and switch over to the 7 train. Adding the cable car between Brooklyn and Queens should be a focused needed upon Amazon building its HQ in Long Island City. A good thing LGA is being upgraded for the future, JFK will also need to be upgraded. I can also imagine Amazon workers shuttling on Amtrak between Penn Station and Union station in DC. Not for nothing, all major NYC transportation hubs should be updated to handle increased traffic for commuters who will work to support business for Amazon.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 11-07-2018 at 12:00 PM..

Old 11-07-2018, 12:08 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,740 times
The priority in transit should be upgrade for 7, adding a LIRR stop in LIC and make LIRR integrated into a one fare system with subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm not sure. Long Island City has a population in which 40% of its population has a 4 year degree, and most of those degree holders come from top tier schools and not from a state school. Also Queens has two airports, access to transportation, and NYS tax deal. I think Amazon wont pay taxes up for 10 years. Crystal City near DC is similar. I have been to Crystal City, everyone that lives there has a 4 year degree, very yuppie, transit to DC is nearby, and Ronald Reagan Airport is down the street. Crystal City Amazon hq will give Amazon to K street and DC contractors and the government. With the NYC office, Amazon will obtain access to Wall Street. Dallas came close, especially since Texas offered a far more superior tax deal than NYS, but Dallas Texas lacks college degree holders that the NYC region has. I'm surprised Boston didn't make it. Boston area has more degree holders than the NYC region in terms of percentage.

My big concern is transit. Especially one seat transit. Example, The Metro North trains that will be running on the Amtrak line will zip through Long Island City when completion. A Long Island City stop should be added so that commuters wont need to go to GC terminal and switch over to the 7 train. Adding the cable car between Brooklyn and Queens should be a focused needed upon Amazon building its HQ in Long Island City. A good thing LGA is being upgraded for the future, JFK will also need to be upgraded. I can also imagine Amazon workers shuttling on Amtrak between Penn Station and Union station in DC. Not for nothing, all major NYC transportation hubs should be updated to handle increased traffic for commuters who will work to support business for Amazon.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
The priority in transit should be upgrade for 7, adding a LIRR stop in LIC and make LIRR integrated into a one fare system with subway.
LIRR has a Long Island City stop already. The 7 train has already received upgraded trains that y used to run on the trains. Those trains are already pushing 15 years old. 7 train needs CTBC like the L train. I think the MTA is working on that. To meet the demand of 25k workers. MTA, DOT and the Port Authority may need to make immediate upgrades that can handle 25k and additional support workers that can double that 25k when Amazon moves in. 7 train stops at Times Square which has the Port Authority Bus Terminal, and 42nd Street Grand Central which has Metro north and Lexington Avenue lines. Hotels and resturants will be many of these support businesses located near the Amazon Hq.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:01 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,740 times
LIRR stop at LIC is in the middle of no where. Now they are doing the east access for LIRR, and will build one more stop at Sunnyside. Also, the subway just cannot handle the additional people . they need to introduce the one fare system for LIRR. They are doing it now for trains going to brooklyn. and should make it city wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
LIRR has a Long Island City stop already. The 7 train has already received upgraded trains that y used to run on the trains. Those trains are already pushing 15 years old. 7 train needs CTBC like the L train. I think the MTA is working on that. To meet the demand of 25k workers. MTA, DOT and the Port Authority may need to make immediate upgrades that can handle 25k and additional support workers that can double that 25k when Amazon moves in. 7 train stops at Times Square which has the Port Authority Bus Terminal, and 42nd Street Grand Central which has Metro north and Lexington Avenue lines. Hotels and resturants will be many of these support businesses located near the Amazon Hq.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:20 AM

185 posts, read 97,010 times
I personally don't have much of an issue with this. Especially if this HQ2 is placed in Long Island City. And is it really going to change anything that much? I mean it'll definitely mean more people but Long Island City is constantly growing and there's new developments all over the place. They are going to need WORKING people to fill those new developments, unless it sits dormant. Or some rich foreigner comes in, buys them, doesn't use it and we're left with the taxes.

When L.I.C. was a waste land, no one was complaining that Gantry State Park and the condo's were going up. And Gantry and Hunters Point Park are now there BECAUSE of economic growth and development.

Another thing people forget about is that it means more business and economic growth for the small businesses/"mom-and-pop-shops" in the Long Island City communities.

I'm going to get a little political here but I remember a friend of mine talking about NYC taking in refugees. And I can't help but feel like very left leaning liberals would be all on aboard about taking in 25,000, 30,000 an UNLIMITED amount of refugees into Long Island City. Refugees who won't contribute anything. A corporation wants to open up business, and all of a sudden its the end of the world.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:29 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
7 train is going be super packed, traffic on Queensbro Bridge and Midtown tunnel going be worst, Western Queens real estate going be super hot it will affect other areas in Queens nearby and Northern Brooklyn, Harlem going get even more expensive 7 train stop at Grand Central for 4 and 5 trains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City