Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What a silly question. Of course there are landlords/homeowners renting out apartments to "low income" tenants on Staten Island.

Tried to point out that it isn't necessarily renters but the actual *HOMEOWNERS* that are involved in shady nonsense.

Staten Island has the smallest percentage of rental housing of all five boroughs. Maybe that number is a bit higher if the illegal rooms and whatever homeowners are renting out, but still that wouldn't bring the overall number much higher.

When you see persons being arrested on South Shore, they are mostly being hauled out of condos or private houses. Wood Court where above linked drug stories went down is a condo development.
Okay. Good points. I don't think it was that clear to people not familiar with Staten Island.

What confused people is you blamed increased density for the issue, and made it seem like it was newcomers. If it's homeowners getting down like that these are people already established in Staten Island, and it has nothing to do with increased density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 07:22 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Okay. Good points. I don't think it was that clear to people not familiar with Staten Island.

What confused people is you blamed increased density for the issue, and made it seem like it was newcomers. If it's homeowners getting down like that these are people already established in Staten Island, and it has nothing to do with increased density.

Because much of the new housing on SI for the past decade or decades has been townhouses. They may be sold as private homes or condos, but never the less attached housing is largely all that is being built, hence comes the density.

When you have a single family house on even moderately sized lot torn down and replaced with two or more attached or semi-detached homes you get density. Worse many of those homes are "two family" so you're getting eight or more households squeezed onto lots.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:24 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Very few townhomes being built nowadays due to zoning changes regarding parking and curb distances. Most of the building is over-priced mcmansions with no property. No mt much better, but at least they’re expensive enough to filter out most trashy people.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:26 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Prices must have been dirt cheap in the early 1990s

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-21-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Very few townhomes being built nowadays due to zoning changes regarding parking and curb distances. Most of the building is over-priced mcmansions with no property. No mt much better, but at least they’re expensive enough to filter out most trashy people.

Developers are still finding ways to shoe horn as much housing onto lots regardless of downzoning or other changes.

Yes, they may not always be attached townhouses, but you've still got a good number of two multi-family houses built on lots that once had a one family.
North Shore boom: Squeezing many houses on small parcels | SILive.com

If BSA approves this housing construction plan, it really is a joke (editorial) | SILive.com

This and or you build a "skinny" house: Developer wants to build 'skinny' house on West Brighton lot | SILive.com

Now will give you yes, where a developer has no other choice, you get "MacMansions". Butler Manor out in Tottenville is proof of that.

Probably biggest reason for fewer townhouse is difficulty in finding open large lots/tracks of land. So much of what can or could be developed into townhouse/track housing developments has already been done. Savo Brothers thought they scored big by nabbing Mount Manresa, but don't think anything has happened recently besides weeds growing.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

Probably one of the more objective articles on SI, downzoning and real estate prices.
https://citylimits.org/2017/03/14/13...h-of-it/?all=1

As for your original query, in comparison to rest of NYC especially Manhattan and much of Brooklyn, yes things were "cheap" out on SI. No more they're not: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2301695

You can look up numbers here: Staten Island Statistics - Home Values - Staten Island, ny

Old 01-21-2018, 10:35 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I never seen an eastern European massage parlor. Only the chinese ones. Why anyone would want anything other than massage from these girls is beyond me.
They are being used for straight prostitution. No cover of pretending they are giving massages at a parlour. What I will call high society pimp who are giving the appearances of being business men provides 'models' for parties or girlfriend experience.

Seems Instagram is a popular place to showcase the goods and be recruited from.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:07 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You should’ve seen the 80’s. My parents bought our first house in New Dorp for $80k in 1986. My father was making about $25k then. Not a bad differential. That same house is now owned by my mother’s friend and easily worth $650-700. It’s crazy.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Developers are still finding ways to shoe horn as much housing onto lots regardless of downzoning or other changes.

Yes, they may not always be attached townhouses, but you've still got a good number of two multi-family houses built on lots that once had a one family.
North Shore boom: Squeezing many houses on small parcels | SILive.com

If BSA approves this housing construction plan, it really is a joke (editorial) | SILive.com

This and or you build a "skinny" house: Developer wants to build 'skinny' house on West Brighton lot | SILive.com

Now will give you yes, where a developer has no other choice, you get "MacMansions". Butler Manor out in Tottenville is proof of that.

Probably biggest reason for fewer townhouse is difficulty in finding open large lots/tracks of land. So much of what can or could be developed into townhouse/track housing developments has already been done. Savo Brothers thought they scored big by nabbing Mount Manresa, but don't think anything has happened recently besides weeds growing.
Just curious. Did a bunch of people from Staten Island retire and move to Florida or North Carolina or elsewhere?

I'm just wondering what made so many homes available to developers. I get why developers would want to do this (more money) but I'm wondering what made so many people on Staten Island sell besides just the money. Where did those homeowners move to?

Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Just curious. Did a bunch of people from Staten Island retire and move to Florida or North Carolina or elsewhere?

I'm just wondering what made so many homes available to developers. I get why developers would want to do this (more money) but I'm wondering what made so many people on Staten Island sell besides just the money. Where did those homeowners move to?
People come and go like anywhere and as houses come up for sell, developers offer prices too good to resist. The owner sells, the developer then tears down the house and puts what he can on the land to maximize profit and the rest is history. BugsyPal is right. The problems facing Staten Island aren't necessarily new, but some of them are like worsening traffic because of more people moving there. Staten Island is not a terrible place to live if you know the nice areas, so let's not act as if the entire borough is a hellhole because it isn't. It is the richest borough out of all boroughs, and most neighborhoods still have great quality of life.

As with anywhere as more people move in and more trashy people come those things can change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City