Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:53 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
This comment is weird, not convenient to the financial district? there is the A train express to Fulton or chambers will take her there express in less than 30 minutes. And commute from fort Greene or Clinton hill is not easier, you have to walk a lot to reach a train that will take you there.
The C from Lafayette or Clinton-Washington is super easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 08:21 AM

20 posts, read 53,193 times
I googled it and it said it will take me 35 minutes to go my workplace.

Yea I figured it was too high because I originally found something similar in the UES, not as much perks included and not as beautiful tho as big, and it was cheaper than that. It ended up being unavailable unfortunately.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:08 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
35 minutes seems optimistic to me, even with the A/D running express from 125th to 59th St, but I guess it depends in part on how much walking you have on either end.

You found a 1-bed on the UES for less than $1500? Must've been four avenues away from the subway...

Old 01-22-2018, 10:30 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
There are a sizeable amount of Dominicans who live on Broadway, for those who don’t know
Are the Dominicans and blacks finally getting along up there? When Dominicans first start moving there, there were a lot of issues between the two groups, which is absurd given how much the two groups share in common.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:04 PM

453 posts, read 317,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
The market has gone up in neighborhoods like harlem and hamilton heights, but even now, 1500/month is too high for anything shared.

If it was 1500 for a 1 bedroom apartment (i.e. unshared) or a studio in a new building with lots of perks included (i.e. gym, internet, and heat included, like mine is, for 1,480) then it may be closer to reasonable, but not if for something shared.

However it isn't INSANELY high; if it's a nice, clean, new building with good staff and no troublesome neighbors it may be worth it. It's not so high that I wouldn't consider it at all.
True but a one bed would more likely required a year lease, in her case i think it falls into the subletting category, not renting. Shorter term rents are more expensive.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Are the Dominicans and blacks finally getting along up there? When Dominicans first start moving there, there were a lot of issues between the two groups, which is absurd given how much the two groups share in common.
You must be wicked old, Dominicans started moving to the heights after the fall of the dictatorship in 1961.

Last edited by upthere22; 01-22-2018 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 01:14 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
You most be wicked old, Dominicans have started moving to the heights after the fall fall of the dictatorship in 1961.
Also I've never heard of blacks and Dominicans in NYC having a problem with each other

Old 01-22-2018, 01:36 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yea. They’re gettin along. The issue is up in Washington Heights. They’re at odds with the white people. Sh** is gettin realer, and realer up there

Old 01-22-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma22 View Post
I googled it and it said it will take me 35 minutes to go my workplace.

Yea I figured it was too high because I originally found something similar in the UES, not as much perks included and not as beautiful tho as big, and it was cheaper than that. It ended up being unavailable unfortunately.
I will tell you my personal opinion about the hood, the hood changing but you might not stay long enough to notice or care so lets stick to today's facts.

Night life: not the best in the city, lots of restaurants with bars, but not a full blown party scene like other neighborhoods in the city. The neighborhood is still very family oriented. There are 2 distinctive areas in the neighborhood (west and east of Amsterdam) west tends to be more noisy, commercial, and "sketchy" east is mostly the Sugar Hill historical district with mansions and historic houses and the CCNY campus. Convent avenue is maybe the most beautiful streets in northern Manhattan. CCNY Gothic campus is also very cool. There is a very lively Gay scene in the neighborhood.

Safety: 20 years ago was a war zone, today is very safe, but i will not deny that some areas still look sketchy. (some areas are patrolled by both the CCNY campus police and the NYPD)

Parks: the neighborhood is surrounded by parks on both sides and a cool cemetery to the north, you should check it out.

Culture: there are a couple theaters, Aaron Davis Hall, Harlem Stage, The National Theater of Uptown and some others, they are what i would call "not very busy" but they put interesting stuff from time to time. there is the Alexander Hamilton House Museum also.

Education: CCNY and Columbia are within walking distance.

Accessibility: there are 2 express trains at 145th and 2 local trains. on the Broadway corridor there is the 1 train local. I will say the area is well connected but because all trains run local after midnight, the return home after a night out would be long if you dont take a taxi. (I would recommend Via, very cheap).

Keep in mind the neighborhood is not very big, about 20 blocks by maybe 5 blocks, but there is the hill......

Last edited by upthere22; 01-22-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Yea. They’re gettin along. The issue is up in Washington Heights. They’re at odds with the white people. Sh** is gettin realer, and realer up there
Dominicans and blacks never had a bad relationship. Some people have that impression because back in the day ( 70s, and 80s) drug dealers would fight for territorial control in the area, mostly along racial lines. But you cant project what those low lifes were doing to the whole community. They are all dead anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City