Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 01:01 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,126,673 times

Advertisements

For the people who don't use plastic bags - doesn't it make a mess when you line your garbage can with a paper bag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 01:26 PM

31,957 posts, read 27,101,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
For the people who don't use plastic bags - doesn't it make a mess when you line your garbage can with a paper bag?

Growing up we lined our kitchen trash bins with paper bags (from supermarket usually), and recall it was always a mess. As we kids were charged with taking out the trash as part of our chores we dreaded if the thing was wet, leaking, etc... And they often were.

To cut down having to hose/clean out the garbage cans Dad began buying plastic bags. A bit later they were on the shopping list for both inside and out side garbage bags.

Truth to tell hated paper "shopping" bags and if you watch television programs or commercials from late as 1970's or so you know why; the things leaded, ripped, busted open, etc... My mom would always instruct the checkout at supermarket to "double bag", and anything that sweated like ice cream, meats, etc.. usually were put in a separate plastic bag first.

Then as now paper bags have to be doubled for strength (TJ's and Whole Foods do this routinely), so where the savings lie I don't know.

That plus as noted using paper bags for garbage means you need to watch what goes into them or.....

Finally don't like paper shopping bags because it is one of the main ways roaches hitch a ride into your home. Soon after we switched to plastic for garbage bags my Mom wouldn't have paper shopping bags in the house. Once whatever that came in them was unpacked, they were usually tossed unless there was an immediate use.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:07 PM

37,251 posts, read 39,548,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I use the plastic bags from delivery if I have any, paper bags also from shopping if they hand them by default or I can’t fit it into my canvas bag for non-kitchen and non-bathroom use, and I have a box of compostable bags otherwise. Compostable bags are biodegradeable by default (and more!), and since I don’t treasure my garbage, I’m okay if they break down eventually.

If there’s enough of an industry for compostable bags such as through legislation like this, then the market wil react through economies of scale and incentivized innovation so I welcome this.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:06 PM

6,167 posts, read 4,550,869 times
I re-use plastic bags for garbage: line the bathroom/bedroom cans with them and have a neat gadget from Amazon to hang them, keeping the top open, for kitchen garbage. I also use them for scooping the cat box. Sometimes if the bedroom one is neat trash, I just dump it in the one in the kitchen and keep using the same old bag, usually one in a color I like.

I always take paper over plastic, given the option, and use those bags for my paper recycling, to keep it all together. I also use them if I (rarely) fry something like chicken or plantains, because they absorb grease fine. My first mother in law used to just toss her chicken right into the bag without even flattening it or anything.

That said, I also think the checkout people give you way too many plastic bags and I end up taking bunches of them back and stuffing them in the bin - which goes nowhere. They bundle them up and don't do anything with them, which is criminal. They should be biodegradable.

I've also been to crafty things that will show you how to make them into things like (ha ha, not kidding here) shopping bags, but sturdier ones and you can make temporary and pretty decent doormats. I'd rather the stores give me cloth bags and when I got a house full of them and brought them back to stuff in the recycling bin, they could be washed and re-used. I'd pay a quarter for a cloth bag, especially if I got 10 cents back for recycling it when it was dirty.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:43 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,250,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Me too. I often just use them as garbage bags instead of buying garbage bags.
Yup this is what I do. I take my garbage out daily so these are the perfect size for my trash.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:46 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,250,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What is wrong with you? I understand your desire to maintain your freedoms but plastic bags take many years to break down. If anything you should give a damn about your kids' future.
No all of us have children so we don't need to think about their future.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:07 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,713,423 times
I not only use plastic bags, but I think the move to ban this is WRONG. Thank you for the post - I'll send a another note to the senators.

I don't understand why people don't realize this: We need to reduce the use of them, but to ban them simple ends up with people buying plastic bags, and providing more profit to companies.

By the way, just to show you how responsive your elected officials are - I believe I've written to Hoylman three times, with not the slightest response.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:13 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,493,960 times
i use them. They should make them more bio-degradable. Can't they make it them out of corn starch?

Old 02-27-2018, 09:16 PM

34,142 posts, read 47,382,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
i use them. They should make them more bio-degradable. Can't they make it them out of corn starch?
Yeah why can't they make them more bio-degradeable?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-27-2018, 09:31 PM

37,251 posts, read 39,548,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah why can't they make them more bio-degradeable?
They can, but there’s little market incentive as the current process for making plastic bags as we hae them now is immediately cheaper partially because it has a larger supply, manufacturing, and distribution chain. So either we have policy putting pressure on this or incentivizing alternatives, or things get so bad that socially our perceptions and buying patterns change (which may itself lead to policy change), or a much cheaper alternative that just so happens to be less polluting comes along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City