Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times

Advertisements

Norwood's not bad, Moshulu Parkway to me is really nice for the Bronx anyways. Stay away from Gun Hill Road as always and that one part of Hull (209th I think?) and Tracy Towers. I like the Oval too.

I also keep wanting to believe Grand Concourse is ok, especially by the courthouse running up to Yankee Stadium on 161st and down a few blocks, but that McDonalds is a showcase of how meh it is there. Jerome Ave going north is also a really crappy area. Buckner is too quiet for where it's located (as far as Mott Haven is concerned). I go up there every once in a while, but those subway stations by/in the projects are just so awful. I'm surprised the OP went to Hunt's Point. Outside of one rave, which I'm sure was ratchet, I've never had a reason to step foot over there. Shout out to DJ Carnage though! (the one from the Bronx, not from Germany) I want to check out the Hub again, but I've been traveling around the city less these days.

So much of the Bronx just makes me "C'mon guys", but I know how ghetto's work being born in Englewood, Chicago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 11:39 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeadon718 View Post
I feel like Williamsbridge, Wakefield, Baychester/Eastchester, and Norwood deserve to be on this list too. These neighborhoods are definitely ghetto too.
I forgot Castle Hill I would say The Bronx hoods are worst in NYC now but East Flatbush, Brownsville, East New York worst spots in Brooklyn. South Jamaica and South Ozone Park in Queens can be rough also in some parts but middle class as well.

Brooklyn

1. Brownsville
2. East New York
3. East Flatbush
4. Bushwick block by block varies especially eastern section but it getting little better
5. Crown Heights
6. Flatbush
7. Coney Island
8. East Williamsburg block by block varies but it getting better
9. Bedside but it getting better block by block varies
10. Clinton Hill slowly getting better

Old 03-01-2018, 12:15 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I forgot Castle Hill I would say The Bronx hoods are worst in NYC now but East Flatbush, Brownsville, East New York worst spots in Brooklyn. South Jamaica and South Ozone Park in Queens can be rough also in some parts but middle class as well.

Brooklyn

1. Brownsville
2. East New York
3. East Flatbush
4. Bushwick block by block varies especially eastern section but it getting little better
5. Crown Heights
6. Flatbush
7. Coney Island
When was Clinton Hill ghetto? I always recall there being nice parts of Clinton Hill with brownstones.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:20 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

Brooklyn

1. Brownsville
2. East New York
3. East Flatbush
5. Crown Heights
6. Flatbush
7. Coney Island
Replace Clinton Hill with Fort Greene around the projects.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:26 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Norwood's not bad, Moshulu Parkway to me is really nice for the Bronx anyways. Stay away from Gun Hill Road as always and that one part of Hull (209th I think?) and Tracy Towers. I like the Oval too.

I also keep wanting to believe Grand Concourse is ok, especially by the courthouse running up to Yankee Stadium on 161st and down a few blocks, but that McDonalds is a showcase of how meh it is there. Jerome Ave going north is also a really crappy area. Buckner is too quiet for where it's located (as far as Mott Haven is concerned). I go up there every once in a while, but those subway stations by/in the projects are just so awful. I'm surprised the OP went to Hunt's Point. Outside of one rave, which I'm sure was ratchet, I've never had a reason to step foot over there. Shout out to DJ Carnage though! (the one from the Bronx, not from Germany) I want to check out the Hub again, but I've been traveling around the city less these days.

So much of the Bronx just makes me "C'mon guys", but I know how ghetto's work being born in Englewood, Chicago...
Norwood isn't off the hook with crime but it varies block by block. There are definitely elements of the neighborhood that are ghetto. Gun Hill road, Bainbridge, 205th, Jerome ave are all iffy at night. Groups of young dudes walking around looking for a come up. I just watch them and roll my eyes because they always look suspicious, especially when they all wear hoods on their heads. Smh... These young guys be asking to get locked up.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:37 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,893 times
I'm guessing that the Sheridan (i278) really degrades the quality of life in that area. The noise, traffic and pollution probably takes its toll.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:49 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Can’t stand Jerome Ave. Webster either. They need to redevelop Mott Haven

Old 03-01-2018, 01:51 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
That's the reason why I never go to places that I am not familiar with. You never know what to expect, and people in the area might just take advantage of you. Regardless if you can fight or not, I would say stay out of it, why would you want to risk it.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:58 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
When was Clinton Hill ghetto? I always recall there being nice parts of Clinton Hill with brownstones.
You would be surprised, Clinton Hill has a few hood spots:
Fulton Street from about Franklin Avenue to Vanderbilt Avenue is crackhead central.
Lafayette Gardens NYCHA is at the border of Clinton Hill and Bed-Stuy
Gates Avenue/Grand Avenue/Downing Street area, but I think it's calmed down in recent years

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-01-2018, 01:58 PM

329 posts, read 299,409 times
There is a Lot of good places left in the Bronx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City