Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:15 PM

34,135 posts, read 47,370,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
There has been a target store in East NY for more than 15 years. It's shopping demographic is overwhelmingly minority. There is also a target in Green Acres mall in valley stream. According to this board Green Acres is not exactly geared towards high income people. There is another Target close to the Belmont Race track. The demographics is not necessarily high income.

Target is no more a sign of gentrification than Kmart is. They are both glorified Walmarts and Walmart is trash.
Also Target at Flatbush Junction, around there, I wouldn't exactly call it the hood, but it's nowhere near gentrified. That one has been there at least 10 years, I'm pretty sure.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 10:19 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,329,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
There has been a target store in East NY for more than 15 years. It's shopping demographic is overwhelmingly minority. There is also a target in Green Acres mall in valley stream. According to this board Green Acres is not exactly geared towards high income people. There is another Target close to the Belmont Race track. The demographics is not necessarily high income.

Target is no more a sign of gentrification than Kmart is. They are both glorified Walmarts and Walmart is trash.
I don't consider it marginalized just because the demographics are minorities. 9 out of 10 people in East Brooklyn and South Queens are minorities.

But I can tell you this, there are more white people in that Target store than anywhere else in ENY, combined.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:23 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,329,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Also Target at Flatbush Junction, around there, I wouldn't exactly call it the hood, but it's nowhere near gentrified. That one has been there at least 10 years, I'm pretty sure.
That one is similiar to the one already in Elmhurst on Queens Blvd. High volume area.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:28 PM

34,135 posts, read 47,370,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
That one is similiar to the one already in Elmhurst on Queens Blvd. High volume area.
Yeah and its serving its purpose. There's always people in there.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-12-2018, 10:35 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,605,884 times
Quote:
What marginalized neighborhood without a highway exit has a Target?
Flatbush, Brooklyn

Old 03-12-2018, 10:36 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,605,884 times
Quote:
The Target in ENY is easier to get to for more people from Howard Beach, Canarsie, and Marine Park than it is for those right there in ENY.

As I said, there is a Target in Forest Hills. There is also one in Fort Greene, Malba, Downtown Flushing, and Tribeca. None of which are affordable areas by any means. Other than that you have them in Flatbush and Elmhurst--both very high volume non-ghetto gentrifying neighborhoods. You also have locations in East Harlem, Throgs Neck and ENY, which happen to have highways taking people right there.
Flatbush is a little bit ghetto

Old 03-12-2018, 10:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,155,114 times
ugh, I actually just read the article that I linked to in my first post and there's a Latino anti-gentrification guy getting all nostalgic about the old theater that this Target will be replacing. Well, I actually went to an event in that theater about 8 or 10 years ago and it was positively derelict.

It was demolished because they weren't showing movies there after 2013. I heard the owners could not afford the conversion to digital, not to mention the high rent. So not only were there no movies anymore, it was also dirty and run down! And now this anti-gentrification activist wants to cry about taking an unused, derelict building and giving it a new use as a Target.

I don't get it. Just because there was no developer who would sink millions into a project to restore the theater, that means it should sit empty?

The other thing he says is that people of color are being pushed out of Elmhurst. I wonder if that is really true. What might be true is that rents are going higher, as they are pretty much everywhere with good subway access in Queens, and ANYONE OF ANY COLOR who can't pay the rent has to move along.

As far as I know, the rents in Elmhurst are not any higher than they are in many other transit-friendly areas of Queens. As we know from this board, even many areas of the Bronx with good train access are seeing a hike in rents. So obviously it is not the coming of Target that is causing rents to rise.

https://www.timesledger.com/stories/...8_03_02_q.html

Old 03-12-2018, 10:42 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,304,125 times
Quote:
I don't consider it marginalized just because the demographics are minorities. 9 out of 10 people in East Brooklyn and South Queens are minorities.

But I can tell you this, there are more white people in that Target store than anywhere else in ENY, combined.
I don't use minority status as the sole bearing when determining income level/buying power. White people in target means nothing to me. Just as white people in a burlington coat factory doesn't indicate a higher income level when compared to the minority shoppers.

Gentrification has become synonymous with white folks when it should be higher income levels driving higher rents. The income level and spending habits that I observe among many target shoppers are similar to those that I would observe shopping at Wal-Mart, Kmart or a Burlington.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:48 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,504,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Flatbush is a little bit ghetto
Would you say the Eastern portion of Flatbush proper is more ghetto? As in, East of Ocean Ave maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
ugh, I actually just read the article that I linked to in my first post and there's a Latino anti-gentrification guy getting all nostalgic about the old theater that this Target will be replacing. Well, I actually went to an event in that theater about 8 or 10 years ago and it was positively derelict.

It was demolished because they weren't showing movies there after 2013. I heard the owners could not afford the conversion to digital, not to mention the high rent. So not only were there no movies anymore, it was also dirty and run down! And now this anti-gentrification activist wants to cry about taking an unused, derelict building and giving it a new use as a Target.

I don't get it. Just because there was no developer who would sink millions into a project to restore the theater, that means it should sit empty?

The other thing he says is that people of color are being pushed out of Elmhurst. I wonder if that is really true. What might be true is that rents are going higher, as they are pretty much everywhere with good subway access in Queens, and ANYONE OF ANY COLOR who can't pay the rent has to move along.

As far as I know, the rents in Elmhurst are not any higher than they are in many other transit-friendly areas of Queens. As we know from this board, even many areas of the Bronx with good train access are seeing a hike in rents. So obviously it is not the coming of Target that is causing rents to rise.

https://www.timesledger.com/stories/...8_03_02_q.html
I doubt white people are moving into Elmhurst in large numbers, and the neighborhood still seems overwhelmingly Asian and Latino. Elmhurst is definitely not a place I hear about a lot of white people moving to, unlike Bushwick and Bed Stuy.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:49 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,304,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That target was there when the Black Isrealites would hang out on fulton yelling nonesense lol. I think it opened in 2004. Downtown Brooklyn still had small linen and things and cheap sneakers and clothes stores back then.

Downtown Brooklyn wasn't Brunswick gentrified in 2004. You could still buy a 2 bedroom apt for 400k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City