Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:56 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
These activist groups also seem to be against small businesses if they're white owned.

And do activists ever complain about McDonald's or Popeyes? I'm curious if there has ever been resistance to these types of businesses opening.
They are becoming annoying. I support mom and pop businesses when they give professional service and provide a good value for my money. I am not obligated to support mom and pops just because. I work hard and want value for my money. There is no need for 10 99cents store or 5 pizza shops, 5 fried chicken joints, 7 inferior quality goods stores in a small area.

If the goods and services they provide are a good value they will stay in business. Every new business gets the anti gentrification folks in a tizzy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 11:01 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
They are becoming annoying. I support mom and pop businesses when they give professional service and provide a good value for my money. I am not obligated to support mom and pops just because. I work hard and want value for my money. There is no need for 10 99cents store or 5 pizza shops, 5 fried chicken joints, 7 inferior quality goods stores in a small area.

If the goods and services they provide are a good value they will stay in business. Every new business gets the anti gentrification folks in a tizzy.
I agree. And the owners of these stores often don't reflect the demographics of the neighborhood anyway.

It seems worse in LA, though. I've heard of an activist group in Boyle Heights, LA (who identify as Maoists) that actively protests any white people opening up business there. They were staunchly opposed to the opening of an art gallery. I do believe these people are a fringe group, but they are pretty vocal and I often hear about their opinions.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:17 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
In Bensonhurst we just got a Target and a Popeyes. Sadly the chicken is overpriced and target is too small.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:17 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
There's a Target on 225th just south of those projects in the Bronx in Kingsbridge Heights that I've liked going to because of the free bathrooms. Lol @ Target equating gentrification.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
There's a Target on 225th just south of those projects in the Bronx in Kingsbridge Heights that I've liked going to because of the free bathrooms. Lol @ Target equating gentrification.
G-dale thinks it doesn't count because it's near a highway exit

Old 03-13-2018, 01:38 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Flatbush, Brooklyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Flatbush is a little bit ghetto
Flatbush isn't ghetto. It's an immigrant neighborhood. People move there for the American Dream.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I don't use minority status as the sole bearing when determining income level/buying power. White people in target means nothing to me. Just as white people in a burlington coat factory doesn't indicate a higher income level when compared to the minority shoppers.

Gentrification has become synonymous with white folks when it should be higher income levels driving higher rents. The income level and spending habits that I observe among many target shoppers are similar to those that I would observe shopping at Wal-Mart, Kmart or a Burlington.
I think you just went from insinuating all minorities are marginalized to white people not being gentrifiers. I don't follow.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
ugh, I actually just read the article that I linked to in my first post and there's a Latino anti-gentrification guy getting all nostalgic about the old theater that this Target will be replacing. Well, I actually went to an event in that theater about 8 or 10 years ago and it was positively derelict.

It was demolished because they weren't showing movies there after 2013. I heard the owners could not afford the conversion to digital, not to mention the high rent. So not only were there no movies anymore, it was also dirty and run down! And now this anti-gentrification activist wants to cry about taking an unused, derelict building and giving it a new use as a Target.

I don't get it. Just because there was no developer who would sink millions into a project to restore the theater, that means it should sit empty?

The other thing he says is that people of color are being pushed out of Elmhurst. I wonder if that is really true. What might be true is that rents are going higher, as they are pretty much everywhere with good subway access in Queens, and ANYONE OF ANY COLOR who can't pay the rent has to move along.

As far as I know, the rents in Elmhurst are not any higher than they are in many other transit-friendly areas of Queens. As we know from this board, even many areas of the Bronx with good train access are seeing a hike in rents. So obviously it is not the coming of Target that is causing rents to rise.

https://www.timesledger.com/stories/...8_03_02_q.html
There used to be white people in Elmhurst. Good luck trying to find one these days. Best shot is one or two of them by the Middle Village/Maspeth borders, but even that would take some investigative work. So whoever that was that said POC are being pushed out of Elmhurst is an idiot. There hasn't been a white guy living in Elmhurst since Antonin Scalia. Some people just need excuses for their failures and/or hated of others.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
That target was there when the Black Isrealites would hang out on fulton yelling nonesense lol. I think it opened in 2004. Downtown Brooklyn still had small linen and things and cheap sneakers and clothes stores back then.

Downtown Brooklyn wasn't Brunswick gentrified in 2004. You could still buy a 2 bedroom apt for 400k.
Your thinking of the Fort Greene Target, not the Flatbush location.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
There used to be white people in Elmhurst. Good luck trying to find one these days. Best shot is one or two of them by the Middle Village/Maspeth borders, but even that would take some investigative work. So whoever that was that said POC are being pushed out of Elmhurst is an idiot. There hasn't been a white guy living in Elmhurst since Antonin Scalia. Some people just need excuses for their failures and/or hated of others.
Yeah I don't know what that guy is talking about. If he lived in Bushwick that would be one thing, but Elmhurst does not seem to have many white people moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City