Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:58 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,677 times

Advertisements

One investor was trying to get the info of the unoccupied house on our block.
The lady also owns a house in the u.k and splits her time between the U.K and the caribbean. He was bragging about the 3 houses he just purchased. One lot was 15000 sq ft. So he intends to sell the original house and build 2, 2 families on the subdivided portion. Basically he got 2 extra lots for free. And at 5000 sq ft each it was still average size lot for NYC. He even asked for recommendation for a contractor to work on his house.

His exact word were he would never use any of the guys who builds his investment houses to work on his house. We gave him the side eye and didn't offer up any information to any of the questions.

Last edited by LOVEROFNYC; 04-05-2018 at 02:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 05:47 AM

782 posts, read 527,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
There seems to be a ton of multifamily construction happening in places such as Cambria Heights, Queens Village, Bellerose, St. Albans and Laurelton. Many beautiful single family homes that don't look much different than the ones in Northern Queens (i.e. Bayside - some blocks in Laurelton, Cambria Heights and Queens Village are indistinguishable from blocks in neighborhoods a few miles north) are being demolished with ugly boxy Multifamilies taking their place. Some are as large as four units.

Why is there no outcry from residents of these areas? These constructions ruin the aesthetic of what were once charming neighborhoods (strictly in terms of aesthetic appeal). You can see this construction taking place on major thorough fares (i.e. Springfield Blvd) as well as on side streets. Any insight?
This type of construction has been happening everywhere, not just Southeast Queens. And there had been a great deal of outcry from residents which resulted in many neighborhoods getting rezoned under Bloomberg.

Here are an older article about it as well as rezoning documents for some of the neighborhoods you mentioned. Most blocks were downzoned while small parts (usually near the main thoroughfares or near mass transit) were upzoned.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2005/10/1...slow-down.html

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning/...ia_heights.pdf
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning...lle_floral.pdf
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning...ans_hollis.pdf
http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning/.../laurelton.pdf

Old 04-05-2018, 06:15 AM

337 posts, read 356,903 times
Thanks for these links! They explain a lot!

Does the new rezoning only apply to new developments, or are current land owners required to make sure their properties meet the new zoning rules?

For example, the documents talk about front yard match ups. If someone's front yard isn't 10 feet deep, will they be cited by the city? (Poor example I know).

Also, would "out of character" developments in areas rezoned have to be demolished?

Last edited by ThatCareerGuy; 04-05-2018 at 06:34 AM..

Old 04-05-2018, 08:18 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times
we have these ugly box houses here in my bath beach brookyn neighborhood also. they knock down an old one family house and put up a six family house, and only chinese buy in my neighborhood, and the first thing they do is install those ugly stainless steel doors, and each door is different, they dont even make then match, and then stainless steel bars go on the windows.
ugly, doenst even come close.

now, i noticed the new thing builders seem to be required to do is, instead of cementing all the way to the curb, they leave the grass area right before the curb, where trees usually get planted, which I believe is considered city property? I can be wrong.

But the are now NOT cementing it all the way to the curb leaving it as "green space", and while the theory is nice, grass with a tree planted, unfortunetly, no one takes care of it and it becomes all weeds. A house around the corner from me thier grass is all dead and its mud now, and one of the tenants now drives over it to park his car on what would be the lawn, thus making mud all over.

terrible. it was better off cemented to keep it neater.

same with the house across the street from it, thier green space, has become weeds with litter in it.

I wish NYC was more strickter regarding littler, because we have tons of it.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:00 PM

782 posts, read 527,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
Thanks for these links! They explain a lot!

Does the new rezoning only apply to new developments, or are current land owners required to make sure their properties meet the new zoning rules?

For example, the documents talk about front yard match ups. If someone's front yard isn't 10 feet deep, will they be cited by the city? (Poor example I know).

Also, would "out of character" developments in areas rezoned have to be demolished?
The rezoning applies to new developments. The out-of-character developments built before the rezoning were allowed to remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: