Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 10:57 PM

243 posts, read 311,140 times

Advertisements

@Henna,

Glad you didn't read it all. Its after midnight - now go to bed. Sweet dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 03:00 PM

@OP,

Yes, I have been denied access on several occasions for not buying items. Depends on the store.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:08 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,115,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Or this is America and racism is and has been an issue here from inception...which is why many people, including white ones, understand this incident happened because the men are black. There is no “they were” other than “they were black”. That is the real issue and you proved it by assuming they had to have been doing something to be arrested. Or worse yet people apply different rules for blacks to fit a narrative of them being trouble makers and deserving to be arrested or worse (i.e. he looked at me funny so I felt threatened and called the cops - and yes historically there are cases of black men getting lynched for looking at a white woman the wrong way).

If one can not grasp that reason, then they are living in a massive and imaginary post racial bubble.
A few months ago I saw the manager of a McDonalds in Queens ask a white guy who had was dozing off to leave. He refused (or maybe was drunk or high) and the manager called the police. The cops told him to leave which he did after a minute or two. It was the right thing to do and race had nothing to do with it.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:17 PM

666 posts, read 646,342 times
Yes, unfortunately I was forced to urinate on the wall outside the establishment. It was.....awkward.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:35 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,121,716 times
I usually try to go to a free public restroom. Otherwise, if i need to buy something i would buy the cheapest item if i really had to go.

A lot of free spots to use the restroom.

apple stores
public libraries
port authority
penn station
chelsea market
certain parks have restrooms.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:51 PM

25,425 posts, read 37,189,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I usually try to go to a free public restroom. Otherwise, if i need to buy something i would buy the cheapest item if i really had to go.

A lot of free spots to use the restroom.

apple stores
public libraries
port authority
penn station
chelsea market
certain parks have restrooms.

But not Jefferson Market branch (West Village.)

Old 04-23-2018, 04:07 PM

1,063 posts, read 700,045 times
Can't remember when my NY Public library card expired. Probably about 10 years ago when smartphones first came out en masse and now internet was at your fingertips.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:13 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,121,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But not Jefferson Market branch (West Village.)
Not sure why that library does not have a restroom for the people that frequent the library. Kids+adults

Old 04-23-2018, 08:50 PM

444 posts, read 389,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
I just saw the two men being interviewed on Good Morning America. I noticed they had issues articulating themselves, their attire should have been thought out more, and I was surprised none of them decided to groom themselves to be on national TV. One of the guys still has twists in his hair and was popping gum the whole time. In my humble opinion, one should take pride in the way they dress. If one doesn't care about the way they dress, why should someone care to treat them with respect? Unfortunate, but true.

If they dress that way for Good Morning America, I am sure they may dress even worse for a job interview. They probably wouldn't even get hired at Starbucks if they came in dressed like that.

Still shocked this happened because almost every employee at Starbucks in NYC that I have been to is black, Spanish and Blatino.

I feel bad to a certain degree for the manager who was fired. I hope she sues Starbucks and gets every penny.
Unless there is proof that her actions weren't racist (i.e. they argued AND they spoke first, or they sat down and stared at her) she wouldn't really have case.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:18 PM

@JC718

Maybe the manager felt threatened by their appearance? You know how some people clutch their purse in an elevator if someone suspicious enters? It is similar to that.

What qualifies as being racist? I notice a lot of people on this site use that word, but it doesn't make sense at times.

People always say that they notice I eat a lot of watermelon and drink orange soda, and say that I may have been black in another life. That never offends me. Do you think that is racism when someone talks about the food one eats?

I have also been denied access at Starbucks restrooms for not buying anything and I am never offended or say it is racist in any way. I understand those are the guidelines. Not all Starbucks do, but some have denied me restroom access, which I am fine with.

I bumped into a neighbor the other day wearing sweatpants and I felt so awful and low class, but I was heading to the gym. In my humble opinion, I like to dress presentable. Sweat pants has negative connotations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City