Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 09:01 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I agree. Just giving people unmerited passes is cruel in the long run. You're just setting them up for failure. And doing them no favors. Getting into a specialized high school is not the end. And what good is it, if you can't hack it once there. You'll just be forever the victim. These schools are not magic. It won't automatically turn you into this intelligent, diligent, wunderkind thru osmosis.
Hard to say what is cruel. Colleges creates different difficulty level paths for graduation depending on the major/class/professor you select. You can make a case for high school being the same way. If we are being honest the kids being swapped in the admission policy change are not the genius superstar kid trying to be admitted at the most prestigious universities, but the same kids who will end up in public universities/community colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 09:26 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Hard to say what is cruel. Colleges creates different difficulty level paths for graduation depending on the major/class/professor you select. You can make a case for high school being the same way. If we are being honest the kids being swapped in the admission policy change are not the genius superstar kid trying to be admitted at the most prestigious universities, but the same kids who will end up in public universities/community colleges.
If this is true, then why the rush to get underrepresented students into these specialized schools by changing the admission policy? If you think these schools are not so specialized anyway.

Last edited by Aeran; 06-10-2018 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Asian men, currently out earn white American men, despite the fact that most Asians are recent immigrants and do not speak English as their first language.

Yes, this is true.

But we are talking about New York City, not all of America.

In New York City, Asians have the highest poverty rate of ANY ethnicity.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:22 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
If this is true, then why the rush to get underrepresented students into these specialized schools by changing the admission policy? If you think these schools are not so specialized anyway.
They are a big eye sore obviously and get a lot of media attention. Every advocacy groups points to them every year and decry NYC as the most segregated school system in the country. In the era of hot takes, self identity politics, and political correctness no one really wants to get into a complex discussion on the matter. It is like two sides yelling at each other and no one listening to the other side.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:28 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Asian men, currently out earn white American men, despite the fact that most Asians are recent immigrants and do not speak English as their first language.

I find it interesting that some will only compare Asians to other minorities, but not the majority group in the U.S., even though, Asians score higher on average, than white Americans on standardized test, and out-earn white men.

Asians also on average, tend to have more stable families than white Americans.
I think it is well known that Asian-Americans out-earn white Americans even.

But keep in mind, Asians tend to live in the metros of large cities, while many white people live in places like Appalachia with low wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
They are a big eye sore obviously and get a lot of media attention. Every advocacy groups points to them every year and decry NYC as the most segregated school system in the country. In the era of hot takes, self identity politics, and political correctness no one really wants to get into a complex discussion on the matter. It is like two sides yelling at each other and no one listening to the other side.
It's less segregated than the activist groups imply. The high schools all over Southern Brooklyn I know are diverse.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes, this is true.

But we are talking about New York City, not all of America.

In New York City, Asians have the highest poverty rate of ANY ethnicity.
And that's what matters a lot for this discussion, the point that Asian kids are not economic advantaged over black or Latino kids, it's just that their culture places an extreme emphasis on education. I really don't think other ethnicities need to be like that, even if they should care more about education.

Athough I do think there is more wealth in the Chinese community than any of the Latino ones, judging by the massive difference in homeownership rates.

And I remember that you didn't know this one year ago, that Asians in NYC had a high poverty rate.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
And that's what matters a lot for this discussion, the point that Asian kids are not economic advantaged over black or Latino kids, it's just that their culture places an extreme emphasis on education. I really don't think other ethnicities need to be like that, even if they should care more about education.

Athough I do think there is more wealth in the Chinese community than any of the Latino ones, judging by the massive difference in homeownership rates.

And I remember that you didn't know this one year ago, that Asians in NYC had a high poverty rate.
Good memory!!
(may I ask, by the way, HOW you remembered that?)

Yes, this group taught me that Asians have the highest poverty rate of all ethnicities in New York City. Higher than blacks or Latinos.

So again, why are we acting as though these Asian kids who score so well and get into the selective high schools are NOT in fact disadvantaged?

Old 06-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Not true.

Some peple will own rather than rent, no matter what it takes.

I had a Chinese-American friend, family was poor.
MAYBE you could call them "poor working class".

Both parents were employed in very low-paying full-time jobs. One parent spoke not a word of English, the other spoke broken English (read and wrote English poorly)

They moved from Chinatown to Flushing over 30 years ago for fear of the crime at that time in Chinatown.
They bought a small run-down house in Flushing with the help of relatives who pooled their resources and provided the down payment. (they paid the relatives back over time.)
They never renovated or repaired the house, but managed to keep it for decades, managing the mortgage payments.

Some groups do have more family and community cohesion and will help each other with things like education and home ownership.

This family I mentioned avoided the crime of Chinatown, kept their kids out of gangs, and yes, one of the children went to Bronx Science.

From what I remember, the Chinese community also provided private busing of high school students from Flushing to Bronx High School of Science.

This may not be such an atypical example.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Good memory!!
(may I ask, by the way, HOW you remembered that?)

Yes, this group taught me that Asians have the highest poverty rate of all ethnicities in New York City. Higher than blacks or Latinos.

So again, why are we acting as though these Asian kids who score so well and get into the selective high schools are NOT in fact disadvantaged?
I have a good memory, but it's not that unusual to remember that people changed their opinion on things

Like you once did to some extent, perhaps de Blasio and Carranza are going by the "model minority" stereotype and are assuming all the Asian kids have doctors and lawyers as parents.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Like you once did to some extent, perhaps de Blasio and Carranza are going by the "model minority" stereotype and are assuming all the Asian kids have doctors and lawyers as parents.
Then they are truly ignorant and have no business being mayor or chancellor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City