Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 06:28 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Not sure where people get their info. While there are clearly issues of racial identity among Caribbean Latinos I don't know that those who live in NYC see themselves as "white" in the same way as they will see a white American. In fact very light skinned Dominicans get teased by other Dominicans who claim that they couldn't be Dominicans because they aren't mixed with obvious Afro ancestry.
Hispanics in general rarely consider themselves white in the US

Old 06-27-2018, 10:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Slavery did exist in Guyana. I suggest that you learn who Cuffy, Accabre and Damon were. Slave rebellions did exist in Guyana. In fact slavery in colonial Guyana was even more brutish than it was in other British West Indian colonies. Guyanese slaves didn't have the ability to engage in their own money making pursuits in their limited free time as did slaves in Jamaica as an example.
Lol. I know who cuffy is you revisionist history fart. Cuffy is another name Kofi like Kofi anan who is from Ghana. Cuffy led a large slave rebellion in Guyana which was under Dutch control. Guyana had some of the bloodiest slave rebellions in the Americas. You answered my own supporting comment on what I was talking about. Now you feel stupid now? Again slavery was not profitable due to large amounts of slaves dying, also conditions were not suitable or great for large scale vs what we seen in Brazil, Cuba, Haiti and southern United States.

Slavery existed as far north as Canada to far south as Argentina. I don't know what is your God damn problem?

Let me know when a wakanda appears out of the Caribbean Sea.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 06-27-2018 at 11:00 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 06:29 AM

264 posts, read 239,179 times
Quote:
No they use Italian, Irish, Polish, etc. Despite the fact that many have minimal ancestral origins to these places given that most white Americans have diverse Euro origins, except for those who only recently arrived.
Upper income Americans do not use any of those prefixes when describing themselves publicly. They simply call themselves American.

American Blacks should demand that government forms remove the "African-American" label. It's quite the misnomer and a very foolish move to claim anything other than American, if your ancestors have been in the U.S. for hundreds of years and your passport states, "American."

Old 06-28-2018, 06:48 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Upper income Americans do not use any of those prefixes when describing themselves publicly. They simply call themselves American.

American Blacks should demand that government forms remove the "African-American" label. It's quite the misnomer and a very foolish move to claim anything other than American, if your ancestors have been in the U.S. for hundreds of years and your passport states, "American."
I don't like to fill out any government or census forms or employee identification forms about my ethnicity.
I usually leave it blank.

I do identify as Jewish, Jewish American, what have you.

But generally speaking that is not an option when someone wants to classify you
I don't mind being called white but I do take offense to the (supposedly PC...why?) term "Caucasian". Why should I be identified by my phenotype/racial characteristics when other groups are not?

I prefer the term European-American because I think it's accurate (as is white of course), since my grandparents came from Europe.

Not sure if many other white people use this term to describe themselves though (not sure why not).

Old 06-28-2018, 06:52 AM

34,103 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Why do you guys find these racial topics so interesting?

Is it because you're not Black?

Like I'll be honest, this thread went so many pages and none of it is interesting to me at all. Maybe because I'm Black.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 AM

36 posts, read 40,771 times
Why is this a topic? Majority of NYC blacks are 1st or 2nd Generation Carribean, or West African (Nigerian, Ghanian). There is still a large percent of native African americans who's family migrated from the south. Its something like 60% carribean/west African and 40 % native AA.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:36 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post

I'm in agreement. Their is a movement to remove African American Moniker and just call Americans who are descecendent of African slavery Black Americans. The first Black Americans in continental United States arrived here in Florida from Spanish Empire, first black slaves arrived from Barbados in 1619 in Jamestown Virginia.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm in agreement. Their is a movement to remove African American Moniker and just call Americans who are descecendent of African slavery Black Americans. The first Black Americans in continental United States arrived here in Florida from Spanish Empire, first black slaves arrived from Barbados in 1619 in Jamestown Virginia.
Actually, before the slave ships arrived, there were already some so called "Black" people, in America. Also, "Black" people w/ ancestry dating back to over 400 years in the U.S., are mixed with European ancestry as well.

I sincerely hope that "Black" Americans do away with the "African American" label, and simply embrace being called an American. Why do we even use the term "Black" when the majority of so called Black Americans are Brown or lighter in color. It's mind boggling.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:05 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L9t2S0oTtA

I don't agree with all of Candace Owens' talking points, but I certainly agree with her about moving away from viewing oneself as a victim. It's self defeatist and very destructive; because victims NEVER win.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:50 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why do you guys find these racial topics so interesting?

Is it because you're not Black?

Like I'll be honest, this thread went so many pages and none of it is interesting to me at all. Maybe because I'm Black.
Yeah...I know what you're saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City