Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 10:21 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Homeless on the Q-trains was more of a problem the first few months of operation as the SAS. I don't see much of it anymore. They must have had some kind of crackdown.

Yesterday I really minded the heat. We took a THird Ave. bus to ALDI's only to find they had their coolers and freezers locked up for a mechanical repair. All the refrigerators are fed by a single Freon line. Waste of time so we spent much less than usual.
Coming home we caught the M15 South (for a free transfer) and it was about 2 PM so no shade. We baked in the sun at the bus stop (long wait) and I though I was close to fainting. By the time we got home I needed a 2 hour air conditioned nap to recover.
Weatherman said it was only 85 (with a THI of 95) but in the sun it felt like 110.

Remember, the time to panic is when you STOP sweating. Sweating is heat exhaustion (feels awful), stopping sweating is heat stroke which can kill.

The older I get, the less tolerant of heat I become.
Aldi's is a pain to get to by bus, even from 2nd Avenue. You would be better off taking the bus there and a cab back. By cab it's a quick ride to where you're at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
"It's so hot sweat runs down my ass like Niagara falls" (RIP Robin Williams)
My pits were sweating like crazy this morning. No one could tell so I looked like I was really cool since I don't sweat that much elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 10:31 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Aldi's is a pain to get to by bus, even from 2nd Avenue. You would be better off taking the bus there and a cab back. By cab it's a quick ride to where you're at.

My pits were sweating like crazy this morning. No one could tell so I looked like I was really cool since I don't sweat that much elsewhere.
Did they run out of organic anti-perspirant at the Whole Foods

Old 07-12-2018, 10:38 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Did they run out of organic anti-perspirant at the Whole Foods
I don't use anti-perspirant and haven't in years. Just regular deodorant with no chemicals. Your armpits are supposed to sweat when it is hot. I know part of the sweating is from me drinking espresso. They don't smell either so it's fine. Cedarwood and Sandalwood from Every Man Jack are very good options. Re-apply once a day and all is well. With the anti-perspirant options they can stain up your dress shirts because of the chemicals and clog your pores.

There are a few others that I like just for in the house... Nourish Organic Vanilla is ok. I don't wear it outside though. A little too thick. Herban Cowboy is another one... "Wild" scent...

Old 07-12-2018, 10:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Aldi's is a pain to get to by bus, even from 2nd Avenue.

Worse, it is from Third Avenue going and to Second Avenue coming home. THe walk isn't bad if the weather is nice. But in the broiling sun, it is truly a pain.

I don't take cabs.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:26 PM

31,912 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Homeless on the Q-trains was more of a problem the first few months of operation as the SAS. I don't see much of it anymore. They must have had some kind of crackdown.

Yesterday I really minded the heat. We took a THird Ave. bus to ALDI's only to find they had their coolers and freezers locked up for a mechanical repair. All the refrigerators are fed by a single Freon line. Waste of time so we spent much less than usual.
Coming home we caught the M15 South (for a free transfer) and it was about 2 PM so no shade. We baked in the sun at the bus stop (long wait) and I though I was close to fainting. By the time we got home I needed a 2 hour air conditioned nap to recover.
Weatherman said it was only 85 (with a THI of 95) but in the sun it felt like 110.

Remember, the time to panic is when you STOP sweating. Sweating is heat exhaustion (feels awful), stopping sweating is heat stroke which can kill.

The older I get, the less tolerant of heat I become.

Sorry, but I don't agree.

Took the Q last week from 33rd to 86th and there were at least three or four homeless scattered about lounging/sleeping. Know this because as any sane New Yorker would scan cars as train enters station to check for their presence.

As trains enter and leave stations again yes, have seen homeless sleeping on benches or whatever at any Q UES station.

Now maybe during prime daytime/peak travel periods for various reasons *YOU* might not see many or any homeless. But can assure you they are there during evening and overnight hours. Nothing different than any other part of the subway system.

Again since the Q is rather a long train route, like the 8th avenue and some others one assumes that makes it very attractive to camp out for the night, and or if weather conditions are poor outdoors.

Remember as well the new UES SAS stations are air conditioned, that alone must be a blessing for homeless or anyone else.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:26 AM

My experience was different. I saw MORE homeless on the SAS portion of the Q-train(in the cars) when it opened than I do now. Perhaps it had to do with the New Year's opening when it was cold as a titches wiit and keeping warm was a matter of survival.

I rarely ride at rush hours, usually late morning (shopping and museums) or evenings (copious theater.)

Old 07-15-2018, 12:07 PM

5,130 posts, read 4,974,054 times
Quote:
My experience was different. I saw MORE homeless on the SAS portion of the Q-train(in the cars) when it opened than I do now. Perhaps it had to do with the New Year's opening when it was cold as a titches wiit and keeping warm was a matter of survival.

I rarely ride at rush hours, usually late morning (shopping and museums) or evenings (copious theater.)

I thought that was what the discounted metro pass was meant for...

Old 07-16-2018, 08:41 AM

Senior half price Metro-Card is good 24 hours per day on subways and buses, just not on Express buses.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:19 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
Quote:
Aldi's is a pain to get to by bus, even from 2nd Avenue.

Worse, it is from Third Avenue going and to Second Avenue coming home. THe walk isn't bad if the weather is nice. But in the broiling sun, it is truly a pain.

I don't take cabs.
Why don't you bike that big butt?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:44 AM

5,130 posts, read 4,974,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Why don't you bike that big butt?

Is it really a good idea to see KK on a bike, either for his own safety or the bike's...
4+ wheels are a must based on the info I have gathered so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City