Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:37 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times

Advertisements

I know plenty of black people who eat food that's not West Indian food or Soul Food, so yes I do think various types of restaurants could survive in SE Queens, especially the more middle class parts. Plus I see plenty of black people dining in such restaurants, including most of the ones I've been to on Cortelyou Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 04:48 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Restaurants need a certain amount of non-neighborhood residents to frequent their establishments in order to survive. People don't go to SE Queens to eat. There is also a lack of diversity. And people don't typically chaseafter West Indian food like they do Asian, Mexican, European, etc...

Old 07-20-2018, 05:04 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Restaurants need a certain amount of non-neighborhood residents to frequent their establishments in order to survive. People don't go to SE Queens to eat. There is also a lack of diversity. And people don't typically chaseafter West Indian food like they do Asian, Mexican, European, etc...
Baldwin has an Indian restaurant despite not being a destination neighborhood, and not having that big of an Indian population. There are comparably middle class parts of SE Queens, so I'm pretty sure a greater variety can survive there than what currently exists.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Baldwin has an Indian restaurant despite not being a destination neighborhood, and not having that big of an Indian population. There are comparably middle class parts of SE Queens, so I'm pretty sure a greater variety can survive there than what currently exists.
There is either a small Indian population scattered about that congregate at this restaurant, and/or there isn't another Indian restaurant within a scaled travelable proximity. SE Queens is close enough to the rest of Queens by this measure.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 AM

If you think one can survive, and there is not one there, maybe open one up yourself.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:39 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
It’s interesting that save for Murray Hill, the Port Washington Branch stations in Queens away from the subway system all have larger ridership numbers than the various LIRR stations serving southeast Queens. Those stations are also oftentimes located at the commercial centers of the neighborhoods they serve.

I wonder if the Atlantic ticket that LIRR rolled out will have significant ridership increases for those southeast Queens stations and if so, whether or not that increased foot traffic will make it more sustainable to open a range of businesses near those stations.

I’m also curious about a frequency of service comparison among those stations and land use policies around the stations. Even station spacing can be quite different with the stretch between Jamaica and Locust Manor far in comparison to the spacing among the Port Washington branch stations in Queens that are far from subway service. Maybe those are factors in the dearth of dining options.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-20-2018 at 08:32 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 02:49 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
I love pizza...... Love it. love it .love it.......

The best pizza I have ever found are in Italian neighborhoods ( or once were Italian ) especially if it has been established for many many
years. But don't take my advice. Get on google maps and find its score .You get the idea.

Always ask the pizza owner if he cooks his pizza sauce twice...... yummmmmmm.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:53 PM

436 posts, read 565,160 times
One thing I will say is that quite a few "premium" establishments have opened up in Jamaica within the past year. There's the new Chipotle, Panda Express, and Starbucks around Jamaica Ave. and 160 St. and interestingly enough, there's a Boston Market that will be opening at 165 St. and Jamaica Ave. on the first floor of the old MTA 168 St. station building which is farther from the E train terminal at Parsons. This and the other real estate development going on is just some of a stretch of very slow change in the area.

Maybe the development wave will go down Merrick Blvd. eventually. If it does happen it probably won't be for decades but who knows.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:37 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Yeah I should have said West Indian in general, but mainly Jamaican. But the options seem limited to mostly fast food, West Indian food, and some soul food. The soul food I've had so far in SE Queens hasn't been the best, but I need to try more places.

I do know of a Guyanese place in Laurelton, pretty good Rotis.

Yeah Southeast Queens overall isn't poor, although South Jamaica, Springfield Gardens, Rochdale, and parts of the Rockaways don't have particularly high median income.

Corona isn't even super poor either, it has a median income I'd consider low, but it's considerably higher than the super poor parts of the city like Brownsville and much of The Bronx.
Soul food shouldn’t be eaten in Queens. Harlem has the best soul food. Bed Stuy not to shabby either!

Yea Corona doesn’t have as much public housing as Brownsville either

Old 07-26-2018, 10:39 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
I know plenty of black people who eat food that's not West Indian food or Soul Food, so yes I do think various types of restaurants could survive in SE Queens, especially the more middle class parts. Plus I see plenty of black people dining in such restaurants, including most of the ones I've been to on Cortelyou Road.
As long as the restaurant sells dope food and the word gets around town it will survive.

Also the Caribbean is mixed racially so Chinese and Indian food isn’t something that’s new to Caribbean’s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City