Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 02:55 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Unlike previous thread on this matter, now we're getting down to the nitty-gritty.

People are abandoning the subways because they are fed up with chronic delays, construction, filth, etc...

Number of school kids riding NYC subways has declined as well.

Yet MTA just doesn't get it; the rise if Uber, Lyft and other car shares aren't the problem; but rather a solution for many who are fed up. This and or people are walking, riding a bike, or anything else that proves more reliable than the MTA bus and subway system.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...aight-year-nyc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 03:26 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Instead addressing the root cause of the problem (fixing the subways), watch Leftist NYC or Cuomo look to come up with some kind of dumb tax or toll on ride services, which won't fix the problem but make it even more expensive for people to get around.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:41 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
I don't think there could possibly be an accurate count given the number of people I see using the back door on buses for entry on crowded routes and during morning an evening rush hours. I'm not sure what happens on trains regarding people who don't get counted, but I cant imagine that is an airtight process.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:05 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I don't think there could possibly be an accurate count given the number of people I see using the back door on buses for entry on crowded routes and during morning an evening rush hours. I'm not sure what happens on trains regarding people who don't get counted, but I cant imagine that is an airtight process.

Ever since the various DA offices and mayor have decided to stop arresting fare beaters, it has been open season.

Every other night see someone scoot under or jump over a turnstile (including just Monday night when some big older Mexican guy at 51st and Lexington crawled/squeezed himself under turnstile).

Old 07-25-2018, 05:22 AM

766 posts, read 507,902 times
I have taken the train maybe once in the last year

But I also spend most of my time in my neighborhood now (thanks gentrification). And if I do need to go further I take an Uber if I plan to drink but I drive my car on a daily basis.

Too many crazies on the train now, homeless taking up dozens of seats, crowded trains and someone always trying to jump in the tracks. Who wants to deal with that if they have a choice?

Old 07-25-2018, 05:51 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
I have posted numerous times. New York has busted at the seams. Population density is the focus problem. The concept of every individual
owning a vehicle strains the infrastructure. Trolleys,bus and train service was introduced to serve the growing population who could not afford
cars. When cars became affordable and people sped to work they removed the slow trolleys. Now we are stuck with an antiquated subway and
elevated train system that seems to be more of a home to the homeless and criminal activity than to the riding public. Add in the population
and a couple of man spreads....L.O.L.... and pow.... Citibike and Uber is born. I say save the city billions by filling the subway tunnels with
sand, dismantling the Elevated trains ( let in more light for Lord sake ) to reduce crime and add more ferries in out underused waterways as the
new plan to combat the population problem while serving the riding public at the same time. You'll thank me later.
Maybe I should run for office.................

Old 07-25-2018, 06:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Bugsy,
Weekend travel is driving me to distraction. EVERY train line is affected, and I KNOW they are not doing infrastructure work on all of them every bloody weekend.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-25-2018 at 06:17 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 06:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ever since the various DA offices and mayor have decided to stop arresting fare beaters, it has been open season.

Every other night see someone scoot under or jump over a turnstile (including just Monday night when some big older Mexican guy at 51st and Lexington crawled/squeezed himself under turnstile).
Sigh.

It was always easy enough to jump over or scoot under the turnstiles. Simply go to a local station that doesn't have a police station inside. Look to see if there are any police. Wait till the train is pulling into the station. Jump and run on the train.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:40 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
It has always been easy but now I see more people than ever taking a free ride. It's not one or two people anymore here or there.

They redid the subways stops near me and they have those ridiculously low exit doors now. So all people do is put their arm over the door, push the bar and in they go---groups at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: