Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 07:50 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
NYC attracts people from other countries, but it is an AMERICAN CITY. Latinos and Asians are considered minorities for all intents and purposes, because they are minorities in the United States.
NYC is not an "American" city in that lazy/slang sense of the word. New York is in NORTH AMERICA, not South America, and not Central America.

Also the definition of North America is shrinking for people in the USA, because Canada has tightened it's borders with stricter rules that do not allow some US citizens entry. Canada has upped their border security because they now have problems with illegals taking their families on risky journeys sneaking over the Canadian border from NY State. Maybe the illegals have learned that Canada now has more resources for them to exploit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 07:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That doesn't mean that they are housewives. A woman can vote for Republicans without being a housewife.

Only that they are stupid.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:57 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not shocking giving the current demographics of NYC. Europeans no longer come over in large numbers and certainly not working class Europeans as it is difficult for them to get visas in this day and age. Plus the standard of living is hire for a working class European than it is for a working class American.

I know that you aren't suggesting that Euros have a harder time than do others. The limiting factor is that there is no reason for most to migrate to the USA so they don't have close relatives.

Countries like Russia, Ireland and Poland there are ample opportunities to migrate as there are large pools of recent migrants from those countries. That they increasingly don't do so isn't because it is hard for them. It is way easier for someone from Poland than it is for people from China, India or Mexico where the waiting list is very long, so that it takes years to migrate easily.

All those who really care about immigrants need to address the long waiting list and the cost of legal migration instead of championing those who pay thousands to human traffickers to bring them to the USA.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
"Diverse" workplaces are not about having a bunch of people who look different but think the same. Diversity is about having a bunch of people who think differently regardless of what they look like.
  • Spanish speaking people are not minorities in global cities because there are more Spanish speaking people in the world than English.

Funny this. I didn't know that an Spaniard had more in common with a black Colombian from the Pacific coast than they do with a fellow European from France, Portugal or Italy.

Females are under represented often because of (white) male privilege. Please don't tell me that you think that females in upper management are viewed in the same way as are men. It is easy to see that while females are more educated they do less well in the corporate world than do men. Ditto for Asians (both genders) when compared to white males.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
And that might be an issue as Dominicans can be hot heads with all the macho BS and some can be racist against the chocolate complexion folks. ( I was born in Dominican Republic)

As can many who descended from Ellis Island migrants or those fleeing the Potato Famine. I also doubt that Dominicans will be more anti black than those others, especially given that within the USA that is what many are considered to be.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
White women are still mostly at home mothers, they follow the beliefs of their husbands. And they uphold white supremacy just as much, woman’s rights come after the loyalty to their men (if at all). Religion also played a factor

There is a dichotomy between married and single white women. Those who are married often benefit from white male privilege, so protect it. Those who are single don't so tend to be more center left or left leaning.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:45 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I had friends in high school that were anti-cops. I mean everytime that they saw a cop it was Bacon, Pigs, etc. It was strange since we were pretty much nerds. I didn't understand the hostility.

Can you guess their profession today??
Prison librarian?

Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 PM

31,912 posts, read 26,999,286 times
If immigration from Europe opened up again; especially from Ireland, Italy, and UK, think you'd see more NYPD from those areas.

Then again who knows; the usual suspects have beat down NYPD in name of "diversity" and "equality" that many guys no longer consider the job worth effort. FDNY is going down that same path as well.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:14 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I bet there a lot of Dominicans
Yea and John Jay College is also by far mostly Dominican and I think Rican!

Old 08-01-2018, 12:06 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Yea and John Jay College is also by far mostly Dominican and I think Rican!
It's interesting how much PRs and DRs range in their attitude towards cops. I guess you can say the same for any group, but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City