Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:27 AM

779 posts, read 1,004,195 times

Advertisements

Waiting for someone to complain that immigrants are taking everyones jobs...

My question is, if mostly immigrants are qualified for these type of jobs, what jobs are native Americans going for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 07:32 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
"Diverse" workplaces are not about having a bunch of people who look different but think the same. Diversity is about having a bunch of people who think differently regardless of what they look like.
  • Spanish speaking people are not minorities in global cities because there are more Spanish speaking people in the world than English.
  • Chinese people are not minorities in global cities because Chinese is the most prevelent language around the world and China is the most populous country in the world.
  • India is up there as another one of the most populous countries in the world and they are not a minority in NYC because this is a global city.
  • Females are not a minority anywhere in the world because there are more females than males. In the USA there are more females than there are males so the females are not minorities.
  • Females have more jobs in the USA than men do so they are not minorities in the workplace.
  • In the USA females have more college degrees than men and we have more female students then male students. So females are not minorities at colleges.
  • In the USA females and minorities get more scholarships than males so the female and minority groups are not at all minorities.
This is very true. What I find funny is that women in America control the vote. How the hell did Trump win and majority of American voters are women?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:37 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
It's better than bringing more Mexicans and more Brazilians here. Those are two of the most violent and crime ridden countries in the world.

Tell me more about how important diversity is.
Diversity divides us.

A person must integrate into the new country's culture, tradition, way of life, laws, language, etc. If you left your home country behind for whatever reason you can't bring its BS with you. You must integrate into the new home country otherwise go back to it.

The issue with the USA is that there is no real culture, tradition, or even official language.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:42 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
And that might be an issue as Dominicans can be hot heads with all the macho BS and some can be racist against the chocolate complexion folks. ( I was born in Dominican Republic)
Some of them are chocolate themselves or even charcoal black so it would basically be them hating black folks when many of them look just as black if not darker. I see that too with black police officers. They've been historically oppressed, then they get a little power and turn around and oppress blacks and other minorities to make themselves feel better. This is why having more minorities as police officers won't matter unless they aren't racist against other black and brown and yellow people.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:46 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post

My question is, if mostly immigrants are qualified for these type of jobs, what jobs are native Americans going for?
Illegal immigrants are accepting the low paying jobs at wages and long hours that no reasonable person would. You have corporations and companies that nickle and dime their employees to get their bonus or to pad their bottom line. In Cities, it's an employers market since they have a large pool of candidates to hire from. Back in the 90s, it was an employee's market as there were so many jobs that were in need of talent with the Tech/internet boom.

You have born Americans that have a victim's mentality or feel that certain jobs are beneath them. My 1st job was working at McDonalds when i was 14. My mom got me the job and it was a great summer learning experience. I also stopped eating McDonalds after working there. (holy **** people are crazy with your food!) I then starting doing Summer Youth Employment jobs every summer. Then when i started college I worked at a retail store in 5th Ave for 4 years and paid for the cost of college that was not covered by financial aid, scholarships. It was around 5 to 6K every semester. It was depressing working just to pay for college but i graduated with a degree and have been working professionally since January 2007. In another 3-5 years, i will be director level. My ultimate goal is to become COO.

1,121 posts, read 591,660 times
Quote:
Diversity divides us.

A person must integrate into the new country's culture, tradition, way of life, laws, language, etc. If you left your home country behind for whatever reason you can't bring its BS with you. You must integrate into the new home country otherwise go back to it.

The issue with the USA is that there is no real culture, tradition, or even official language.
Mr Ryu yeah I have seen it all first hand also.

NYC is not even a global city anymore it is just an immigrant city. That is what happened in Europe especially in London and in German. They welcomed all sorts of immigrants and refugees under the false ideology that it would make them diverse and stronger. Today their cities are singing to a much different tune.

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post

Most Americans don't want to work as cops, not unless their parents were cops or they had family members that were cops. The pay isn't all that hot until you get some years under your belt and many simply think it's beneath them. I have a high school friend who is a cop and a few others from college are NYPD officers. One of them moans about the job endlessly. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires early.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:49 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Most Americans don't want to work as cops, not unless their parents were cops or they had family members that were cops. The pay isn't all that hot until you get some years under your belt and many simply think it's beneath them. I have a high school friend who is a cop and a few others from college are NYPD officers. One of them moans about the job endlessly. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires early.
The people I went to high school with who are NYPD now seem to love it. After a few years the salary is pretty good, plus the benefits are good. But it's a job where you have to arrest people and all that, which many people are not comfortable doing.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:51 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Diversity divides us.

Absolute integration is impossible.

Southerners for example are very different from New Yorkers, who are very different from MidWesterners. There is, and there never will be an uniform absolute culture in any country of any significant size.

Also people have different religions (or none). It's ridiculous to try to pretend we're all alike, when we aren't or never will be.

People will have to learn to accept the differences of others. Period.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:52 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Don't be shocked that journalists used the term 3rd world .
More power to them.
Why should any one be shocked of the 3rd world labeling. Would the public have preferred to read the term "impoverished country lacking in socioeconomic developments" ? It does not take much internet research to find out how Irish,German and Italians were portrayed in comic strips and negatively labeled less than 100 years ago. Let's be clear.... This is the best country in the world. My bloodline traveled from an impoverished war torn country legally to America for a better life.We know it. I know it. I kiss the ground that I was afforded the chance for a better life and I made the best of it with the resources available to me at the time.God Bless America!

I am concerned with this growing Left side thinking of pandering to the feelings of newcomers in such away that it diminishes the strengths each and every United States citizen carries within his/her being. The proud results of accomplishment due to hard work is feeling of success. It is not granted ,deserved or entitled. It is earned. The left diminishes a persons' success by labeling it privilege, blue bloodedness, etc....Makes one ill to think that most of this leftside brain critical thinking came out of the universities we support with our donations today. Sad..Sad.. Sad...All new immigrants entering our ports. need to know that this place is better than the place they came from period!

I am so happy to hear that people of third world countries who entered here legally are landing great jobs. They are choosing a chance for a better life and are taking advantage of the current immigration laws that are swinging in their favor. God Bless them as they are travelling the same footsteps as my immigrant family traveled almost 100 years ago.

That the joys of the fruits of your labors be upon you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City