Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 09:45 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Why is it assumed that yuppies, rich snobs, etc. are all transplants? Are there not wealthy communities in all 5 boroughs filled with people born into money?

And on a similar note, it's the same thing with hipsters. Why is it assumed they're all transplants? I've met a ton of hipsters who are native New Yorkers. My cousin for instance, is a hardcore hipster (and artist and dresses like a hobo from 1923) and he's lived in Brooklyn his whole life.
Of course there are; on the UES they frequent the same haunts as their parents, grandparents, etc... J.G. Mellon, Dorian's Bar and so forth.

Then there are the private prep/high schools that have educated legions of NYC born "yuppies".

One of the best films about them was "Metropolitan". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_(1990_film)

Their lives still revolve around same things pretty much as the parents, grandparents. Junior League, debutant balls, though perhaps not as much coverage and or exclusive as things once were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 09:53 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Very funny... Let me guess, you're one of those outsiders...
What's funny about misusing the English language? If you're already here, how are you coming?

Speak American, bro, or GTFO.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Brooklyn Bank robbers: Jickers it's da cops
Bugs Bunny: Quick ! Hide in da stove.
Bugs Bunny confronting Irish Cop: Would I throw a match if someone was hiding in da stove?
Irish Cop: Ya might rabbit , ya might, ya might ?

Nope : even cartoons today have to be politically and generically correct..sad.. sad.. sad..
The master at work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSNTjX_g9a4

Old 07-28-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Bugs Bunny confronting Irish Cop: Would I throw a match if someone was hiding in da stove?

Nope : even cartoons today have to be politically and generically correct..sad.. sad.. sad..

Well first you'd have to find an Irish NYC cop with a thick brogue to be offended. *LOL*

That would likely not an easy task in today's NYPD. Now up until the 1950's or so, it was a different story.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:04 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:

Have you watched some of the cartoons today? They get really wild.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Have you watched some of the cartoons today? They get really wild.

Yes, but they just are no where near what things were like in our day.

So much of even the vintage Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes cartoons have been sanitized.

Some of this for the good; such as the scene where Bugs Bunny shakes Baby Faced Finster and tells him "not to play with the dirty money".

However much of the rest is often rubbish. The Censored Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Guide: D

How LGBT hasn't gotten this one banned I don't know, but they better not even try. It is pure BB gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiVLtzH4Oi8

Old 07-29-2018, 07:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Why is it assumed that yuppies, rich snobs, etc. are all transplants? Are there not wealthy communities in all 5 boroughs filled with people born into money?

And on a similar note, it's the same thing with hipsters. Why is it assumed they're all transplants? I've met a ton of hipsters who are native New Yorkers. My cousin for instance, is a hardcore hipster (and artist and dresses like a hobo from 1923) and he's lived in Brooklyn his whole life.
Yuppies and hipsters are two different things. Yes nyc has affluent neighborhoods with with affluent native new Yorkers with high esteemed positions and graduated from top universities. They do exist, but a minority vs well educated transplants.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:25 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yuppies and hipsters are two different things. Yes nyc has affluent neighborhoods with with affluent native new Yorkers with high esteemed positions and graduated from top universities. They do exist, but a minority vs well educated transplants.
I know they're different, that's why I made two seperate paragraphs about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City