Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:37 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Isn't it kind of funny, the OP comes with a laundry list of things he/she wants to know about an apartment, and everyone here is shooting him/her down.

"It's just not standard here."

Which, I confer. I'll rent the apartment to the person who asks two questions, rather than 14.

Isn't the humor though, this is the one (and nearly only) place in the country where's it's standard to pay a realtor for their services of showing you apartments they don't have answers to.

... so you pay thousands to do all the legwork yourself
Right. And as New Yorkers we know all this. If a transplant doesn't want to put up with that they can live somewhere else and don't let the door hit them on the way out. Bye bye.

Oh and to OP: 11 years does not a New Yorker make. Not even close.

Last edited by Hannah5555; 08-05-2018 at 10:59 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 12:33 PM

444 posts, read 387,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan333 View Post
If so, then pretty much myself and any other NYer can find a competent landlord who includes these details in their listing. A SMART person would include as many details as possible. Not only to save the prospects time but to save themselves time. So yes.. "REALLY" buddy ;-)

If the landlord is an idiot and gets annoyed at legit questions coming from prospective tenants, he can rent to trash. Ya know..the kind who jack up the place, blast bachata until 5 am on work mornings and pay their rent late

Quality people ask quality questions.
These questions should be asked to the agent/broker showing you the apartment. Good luck actually meeting the Landlord in person, let alone speaking to them on the phone.

I met TWO Landlords out of the seven places I lived in because they owned the apartment. The other apartments were management by management companies.

Rent is typically due on the 1st of the month. Some places give you a grace period (5th or 10th or 15th of the month) It should be in the lease if you get a grace period.

Pet policy is usually in the ad but double checking with whomever is showing you the apartment is good.

Deposit are usually refundable as long as the apartment doesn't suffer damage.

Process of maintenance contact the super or management office is usually the response you will get.

Proof of income needed depends on what the Landlord wants and can vary. Some just want a bank statement and a letter from your job. You find that out when you say you want to apply.

I don't have other questions to offer because as a renter YOU should do the research. All the other ones you listed would either be answered when you go to see the place or go to sign the lease or you find out yourself. If anyone has kids or are planning and don't know the school system in a neighborhood they are looking at THAT is a problem. Same with nearest subway and a laundromat.

FYI, using a portable w/d will get you evicted in most apartments as most leases have it written in that you can not have one.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:21 PM

28 posts, read 12,405 times
Just had 20 landlords/realtors reply to me this week. No fee apartments. They answered all these questions lol.. I guess the rest of you aren't too smart because you prefer to live by your "tough ego" ... "you take what you get" and "it doesn't work like that here" scarcity mentality and a "transplant" comes here and gets more service than you..

Geez, I could have just written a list myself...80% of the comments here are "blah blah blah.. I'm a wannabe tough NYer..you little cupcake transplant:".. This is why the rest of the country laughs at "Yankees".. Do some personal development, guys. THANKS to those who gave feedback. Reading comprehension is CRUCIAL because a good 35-40% of the questions I listed actually don't even apply to me or matter.. I just thought they were great questions for potential renters to ask..ya know..the ones who don't want to lie down and be shat on and take a cardboard box for 3k a month because they're a "hardcore" NYer and so "proud" of this rite of passage rofl

Old 08-05-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Right. And as New Yorkers we know all this. If a transplant doesn't want to put up with that they can live somewhere else and don't let the door hit them on the way out. Bye bye.

Oh and to OP: 11 years does not a New Yorker make. Not even close.

Awww sweetie..I don't want to be a NYer lol.. Someone said I was a cupcake basically in for a rude awakening and..newsflash.."cupcake" has been here excelling for 11 years NO desire at all to be a NYer or ever called one. Could care less about any labels. I don't have a mental complex where I need to define my identity by a city

Old 08-05-2018, 05:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Just had 20 landlords/realtors reply to me this week. No fee apartments. They answered all these questions lol.. I guess the rest of you aren't too smart because you prefer to live by your "tough ego" ... "you take what you get" and "it doesn't work like that here" scarcity mentality and a "transplant" comes here and gets more service than you..

Geez, I could have just written a list myself...80% of the comments here are "blah blah blah.. I'm a wannabe tough NYer..you little cupcake transplant:".. This is why the rest of the country laughs at "Yankees".. Do some personal development, guys. THANKS to those who gave feedback. Reading comprehension is CRUCIAL because a good 35-40% of the questions I listed actually don't even apply to me or matter.. I just thought they were great questions for potential renters to ask..ya know..the ones who don't want to lie down and be shat on and take a cardboard box for 3k a month because they're a "hardcore" NYer and so "proud" of this rite of passage rofl
What were the 20 answers to “Am I allowed to hook up my portable washer?”

Old 08-05-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What were the 20 answers to “Am I allowed to hook up my portable washer?”
Oh no honey..I received answers to EVERYTHING on my list...and issa a greenlight. You guys must not understand what a compact portable washer/dryer is and be thinking of something else. It fits in a tub lol.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:29 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
For crying out loud, people, the OP was just volunteering a list of things prospective renters should ask before renting.

I think it's a pretty comprehensive list--whether apartment hunters ask the landlords, or do their own research, is inconsequential.

Stop being such pukepusses when someone is trying to be helpful. Yeesh.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
For crying out loud, people, the OP was just volunteering a list of things prospective renters should ask before renting.

I think it's a pretty comprehensive list--whether apartment hunters ask the landlords, or do their own research, is inconsequential.

Stop being such pukepusses when someone is trying to be helpful. Yeesh.
Thank you..and the 3 other levelheaded people who replied. You'd think I had a question on there asking the apartment owners if they'd give me a massage and babysit my kids for date night every month for the rent I pay lmao

They need to seek God, Buddha or personal development. IDK..get an exorcism or baptism. Something rofl.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:53 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Yikes every reply is on the defense. Sound like someone isn't happy in their life and has to take it out on random internet people.
Not our fault you picked a life you hate but heres the beauty you can always change it to make yourself happier.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Oh no honey..I received answers to EVERYTHING on my list...and issa a greenlight. You guys must not understand what a compact portable washer/dryer is and be thinking of something else. It fits in a tub lol.
So it seems after all your lashing out here, you’re not able to take feedback. You were told by more than one person on here they are prohibited in many buildings. They are absolutely prohibited in my building, and most of our apartments have a tub and a separate walk in shower and a dishwasher. So we’re allowed plenty of things with water, just not that. Ithe size of a portable tub doesn’t matter.

But I’m not surprised you can’t accept valuable feedback because all you do is act childish.

Last edited by Henna; 08-05-2018 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City