Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:21 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
"The crash “is an exemplar for why protected bike lanes are safer,” wrote Nicolas Lawson"

bullsh|t, taxis & vans pull into "protected" bike lanes all the time near the intersections, they don't do squat to protect cyclists. As long as cars can turn into your bike lane you are not protected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 08:34 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I rode my bike in the city for the 5 borrough bike races and once to go to work. I honestly don't know how people get the courage to ride a bike in the city with the rest of the automobiles. I almost got hit twice and that was the last time I rode my bike in the city. There are just way too many erratic and careless drives on the road to make it safe to ride your bike. The only possible way to make it safe for bike riders is to completely make certain streets for bikes ONLY.
Such a shame a young woman's life is over before it barely began.

I've been hit by a car before as a pedestrian and I've thought about biking to work but I am too scared.

When I do bike, I usually stick around my neighborhood and bike paths. Bike lanes are okay sometimes but don't help when cars constantly block them. Sometimes if someone briefly double parks by me, they actually do leave space for bikers.

I have what could be a pretty decent bike path near me free from vehicles but since it's not in the city, they don't care about it and much of it is terrible. They'd never let it happen to the bike paths on the WS.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:29 PM

991 posts, read 1,770,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
East River "bikeway" is a joke.
There are stretches (albeit short) where it is great. But by and large there are too many choke points and shared zones. Not to mention the gap between 61st Street and 34th Street.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:44 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
this is the way to go:

https://www.cnn.com/2015/03/04/tech/...ays/index.html

Old 08-14-2018, 08:19 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
There are stretches (albeit short) where it is great. But by and large there are too many choke points and shared zones. Not to mention the gap between 61st Street and 34th Street.
Rode there once and had a verbal altercation with 3 ghetto teenage women blocking the road. Turned out the projects were a few more blocks up. Going back west to Central Park was even worse with aggressive drivers trying to get on the bridge. East Side is just the worst overall for cycling.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:26 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
fix and expand the subways!

Old 08-14-2018, 08:42 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
The thing with riding in the city is you have to be attentive, cars, trucks, buses, pedestrians, other cyclists. It's not some tourist ride and the problem with CPW is that it has a lot of tourists riding down there and unlike Amsterdam it's not a protected bike lane. It's not a route for sightseeing, you have to be very aware. Sightseeing would be the Hudson River routes and inside the park itself.

There are way too many variables when riding your bike in the city and you really can't let your guard down. I've even seen accidents involving two cyclists. This city does not provide a safe environment for bike riders. Just walk or take the train.

The people that have a death wish are those that wear headphones and tune out their surrounding. How can you possibly be so reckless and ride your bike while not paying attention to your surroundings? That is flat out stupid.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:45 PM

5 posts, read 1,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
this is the way to go:

[url]https://www.cnn.com/2015/03/04/tech/city-cycle-super-highways/index.html[/url]

Upon seeing that image the music from F-Zero's Big Blue came to mind.

That side, this city is like a cyclist death trap. Some guy broke his head open in front of the animal clinic I used to work at in Brooklyn. No helmet on, I think he was a food delivery guy. Based on what one of the vets said, it didn't look like it was gonna end well for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City