Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I have nothing against the hip hop culture...which has nothing to do with the ghetto subculture. I do openly criticize the thug/ghetto subculture, the same way I would criticize criminals, ignorance, violence, gangs, drugs dealers....it is dangerous to our society, and is crippling our nation, and literally killing off entire families/generation after generation of kids. This does not in anyway compare to the dislike/disgust/open hostility and vicious criticism of Hipsters who are not glorifying violence, who do not drive crime rates through the roof, who do not pride themselves are the culture of ignorance and animalistic behavior, who do not hold hostage entire communities through intimidation and violence, who do not participate in the gang culture that pervades many of the inner city communities and drives much of the drug dealing, death and violence in our communities.

If you believe that the Hipster subculture is somehow on par or similar to the thug/ghetto subculture that plagues many communities, then you are not taking the time to think about who/what the two groups are. I see the ghetto subculture as one based on ignorance, hopelessness, broken families, violence, drugs, etc....an argument can be made for the Hipster subculture as one that has "holier than thou" attitude, a lack of culture, a struggle to be different by being the same, and possibly urban invaders/conquerors "reclaiming" the "Wild West" aka the inner city poor communities.

I find one of these groups has proven to be a grossly detrimental and poisonous assault on our society and civilization, and the other as being based on anecdotes, personal opinions/perceptions, and nonsensical/false truths.

I see your point now. But I don't think a lot of people have that strong of a hatred towards Hipsters, yuppies, or thugs for the matter (although they should in the latter case). It's more of a general dislike. Some posters like to vent on these forums, if you haven't noticed.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-04-2008 at 08:39 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 08:30 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
What makes you think you have the right to disregard an entire group of people for the pathetic reasons you listed above? Talk about “arrogance”, who made you god of the NYC city neighborhoods? If you’re so adamant that yuppies are moving to the neighborhoods b/c they think the neighorhood is “cool” than why would they have a desire to
drastically change the neighborhood? Have you actually talked to any “yuppies” and asked them why they are there?
I can "think" anything I want. I don't necessarily spend 24 hours a day thinking of them, nor will I spend 24 hours with a YUPPIE GO HOME sign camped outside their window. I dislike them. I gave you my reasons. If something unfortunate would happen to them in my hood, or any hood, I will laugh. Maybe then they will learn their lesson. Born with a silver spoon, they stick to themselves and could care less of what happens to the "animals" living there. They dont change neighborhoods. Its not like captain Yup or Mama Hipster will open up the starbucks themselves. The city supplies it to them. That way more of their kind can move in. All for naught because these *******s end up moving anyway.

They can flood there little areas all they want since its to late to save those nabes. But please have some decency and realize the effects your moving to a neighborhood has. Especially when you have a choice.

Me thinks that you are either a hipster/yuppie Rudbeckia....not cool

Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I can "think" anything I want. I don't necessarily spend 24 hours a day thinking of them, nor will I spend 24 hours with a YUPPIE GO HOME sign camped outside their window. I dislike them. I gave you my reasons. If something unfortunate would happen to them in my hood, or any hood, I will laugh. Maybe then they will learn their lesson. Born with a silver spoon, they stick to themselves and could care less of what happens to the "animals" living there. They don't change neighborhoods. Its not like captain Yup or Mama Hipster will open up the starbucks themselves. The city supplies it to them. That way more of their kind can move in. All for naught because these *******s end up moving anyway.

They can flood there little areas all they want since its to late to save those nabes. But please have some decency and realize the effects your moving to a neighborhood has. Especially when you have a choice.

Me thinks that you are either a hipster/yuppie Rudbeckia....not cool

You're right Supermario, you would consider me a yuppie. I am white, I moved into Harlem, I like starbucks, and if I dug through my closet deep enough I could probably find a pair of tight fighting jeans.

But I am in no way "destroying" the neighborhood. I respect the people here that deserve respect, I am clean, I am hardworking, I give money/food to elderly homeless people that are in need, I pick up stray garbage outside my building when I see it, and I am currently working on a project to revitalize an abandoned plot of land in one of the worst ghettos in NYC into a public, usable space. I am EXACTLY the type of person you should want moving into your neighborhood but you can't see past my whiteness and my clothes.

You will probably come back and say "you are not the norm" but that won't be a valid argument coming from you b/c you probably don't even know any yuppies/hipsters, you just stand from afar a criticize them.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:52 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
You're right Supermario, you would consider me a yuppie. I am white, I moved into Harlem, I like starbucks, and if I dug through my closet deep enough I could probably find a pair of tight fighting jeans.

But I am in no way "destroying" the neighborhood. I respect the people here that deserve respect, I am clean, I am hardworking, I give money/food to elderly homeless people that are in need, I pick up stray garbage outside my building when I see it, and I am currently working on a project to revitalize an abandoned plot of land in one of the worst ghettos in NYC into a public, usable space. I am EXACTLY the type of person you should want moving into your neighborhood but you can't see past my whiteness and my clothes.

You will probably come back and say "you are not the norm" but that won't be a valid argument coming from you b/c you probably don't even know any yuppies/hipsters, you just stand from afar a criticize them.
What exactly does a yuppie mean now and days anyway? It's become that any White person with a white collar job (sometimes not even that specific) is now a yuppie. It used to have a much more specific meaning in the 80's and early 90's. Classic yuppies were portrayed in movies like Wall Street, and American Psycho.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:52 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,453 times
And the same goes for Dominicans entering white communitie right? If something "unfortunate" should happen to them, people should laugh? They dislike Dominicans..and you know their reasons....maybe these Domicans will learn their lesson. Born without a drop of sense or civility, they stick to themselves and could care less what happens to the "good people" living in white communities. They can flood there little area all they want since its too late to save places like the Heights and West Bronx..but please Dominicans, have some decency and realize the effects (rampant crime, drugs, violence, gangs, litter/filth, decreased property values, etc) your moving into the neighborhood has.

Me thinks you are a Dominican SuperWario....not cool.

Sounds fair right?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 AM

Rudbeckia don't justify yourself to SuperWario....thats a losing battle. It's easier to just throw his arguments back at him....that seems to show the huge fallacy/hypocracy with his opinions/perceptions.

NooYowker...I would also like a better definition of a yuppie these days...I would think the stereotype is a person/couple with no kids, with high income and lots of disposable income, who are heavily involved in their jobs, networking...and all the fancy stuff that goes with that lifestyle.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
And the same goes for Dominicans entering white communitie right? If something "unfortunate" should happen to them, people should laugh? They dislike Dominicans..and you know their reasons....maybe these Domicans will learn their lesson. Born without a drop of sense or civility, they stick to themselves and could care less what happens to the "good people" living in white communities. They can flood there little area all they want since its too late to save places like the Heights and West Bronx..but please Dominicans, have some decency and realize the effects (rampant crime, drugs, violence, gangs, litter/filth, decreased property values, etc) your moving into the neighborhood has.

Me thinks you are a Dominican SuperWario....not cool.

Sounds fair right?
Haha nice try. But again you fail.

What you don't realize is that not all Dominicans are like what you described above. 2nd generation Dominicans have a higher graduation rate than do Puerto Ricans or 2nd generation Mexicans. The Puerto Rican ghettos are worse and as a result there are more PR scumbags than Dominicans. But that is beside the point. The point is that older Dominicans and graduate Dominicans are an incredible help to NYC. These are really good people so it is unfair to generalize all of them like that.

Yuppies/Hipsters are usually all like that, bland and out of character. They are all the same. So you can generalize them.

Also Rudbeckia nice to hear that. You dont want me to say it but you are not the norm.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,448 times
[quote=SuperMario;3353453]

What you don't realize is that not all Dominicans are like what you described above. 2nd generation Dominicans have a higher graduation rate than do Puerto Ricans or 2nd generation Mexicans. The Puerto Rican ghettos are worse and as a result there are more PR scumbags than Dominicans. But that is beside the point. The point is that older Dominicans and graduate Dominicans are an incredible help to NYC. These are really good people so it is unfair to generalize all of them like that.

[quote]

You are contradicting yourself! You can't have it both ways. You can't say it's unfair to stereotype Dominicans, but that's its okay to stereotype other people.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:22 AM

Wow SuperWario...so now Dominicans are "better" than PRs, Mexicans, and Hipsters/Yuppies...they are really "good people so its unfair to generalize them like that." I am glad you made the hypocracy so blatant...don't stereotype Dominicans...but everyone else...go right ahead!

Nice job.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:27 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,476 times
If you go back a few pages I think sean sean sean put it best. Hipsters/yuppies are annoying as hell in my opinion. I remember when downtown Jersey City was nothing , just a working class spanish area, and prior to that I believe it was mostly Italian and Irish. Now all you see is the working class being pushed out to make way for luxury condos and cafes and bistros or whatever other crap. Its funny because people used to roll their eyes when youd say you were from Jersey City but now that some NY magazine says its cool all you see are those sickly looking hipsters that probebly dropped out of art school because they're to interesting for it and now think they own the neighborhood. Its just takes away from the ethnicity of neighborhoods its very hard to explain but some of you on here defenitly understand. I feel even more for the people that were from williamsburg prior to the idiot invasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City