Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 12:14 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 490270 View Post
Wow anon. Very judgmental and very rude. It is brilliant because its the city with the most opportunity for my career.

I never said I wanted to live in the hood.

Thanks for that.
Don't mind the yuppy/hispter/transplant/non-new york born bashers dude. It's full of them here. I personally find those people petty and frankly quite amusing, considering they whine and complain about people who actually improve city neighborhoods.

If NYC is a city you always wanted to live in, then prepare for it accordingly, and make it happen.
It's better to try and fail than to fail to try.

and btw, 'cheap neighborhoods' don't mean 'bad neighborhood' as the basher above me assumed.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 PM

147 posts, read 371,484 times
Bull. If you can afford to live here, go for it. Worse that happens is you run out of money and head back to where ever you came from. As for gentrification, If I am a property owner, I will try to make as much money as possible with the best tenant I can get. Hipsters with trust funds are more reliable than the working poor and are a symptom, not a cause of the homogenization of NYC. You want the old NY back? Cut back on police and take back the Wall Street bail-out. That way there will be no jobs and lots of crime.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
^ lol the hipsters will eventually sue all the slumlords i guess..

Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityinfonow View Post
Uh, no....YOU GOT IT WRONG. You said the people I want to live next door to are the "scamsters" and baby mama crowd? What are you smoking?

If you are more fed up with riding the Bedford L train and seeing rich kids than seeing worthless scumbuckets standing on the street corner and robbing people for a living you need your Got Damn head checked.
I am telling you that this is exactly who you wil live next door to if you believe in the "high rents will chase out the bums'. Look at Harlem. The lower middle class are out unless they lucked into affordable housing. The projects remain as do the poorest who depend on govt support. Ditto BedStuy, and ditto the Bronx where that crowd is now moving into parts of the Bronx where they were less present.

So continue to think that you dont need to care about home care attendants (wait until you are old and need them). They will not be here. Its the Baby Mamma with her thugs sons who will remain. You love being robbed and also paying their rent thru your taxes. Remember they dont pay market rent, so they dont care what it is. And NYC provides more support for the dependent poor than Florida, GA, NC/SC or upstate (AND IT WILL GET WORSE when Bloomberg leaves).

Its a pity but NYC will be a city of investment bankers/lawyers, kids whose rent is paid by their parents, and baby mammas whose rent is being paid by taxpayers. Every one will have to leave unless they live doubled up with no quality of life.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninintothevoid View Post
Bull. If you can afford to live here, go for it. Worse that happens is you run out of money and head back to where ever you came from. As for gentrification, If I am a property owner, I will try to make as much money as possible with the best tenant I can get. Hipsters with trust funds are more reliable than the working poor and are a symptom, not a cause of the homogenization of NYC. You want the old NY back? Cut back on police and take back the Wall Street bail-out. That way there will be no jobs and lots of crime.
The hipsters arent wealthy and it appears will continue to be priced out of decent neighborhoods and being forced to live next door to the projects. Do you really think they want Bushwick or Bedstuy, as many are now being forced into? How long will they tolerate their lives being at risk? Yuppies dont live in neighborhoods where a trip home after 10 PM might result in the "natives" welcoming them home with guns. At soime point even they will tire of this, a sthey marry and have kids. NYC is not a real quality of life place, folks need to know, so at some point it begins to look like a bad proposition.

We have a complex gentrification probl;em. Not just the NON DEPENDENT WORKING poor/lower middle class being displaced, but even the non affluent professional class, like teachers and nurses.

As is we have all sorts of condos whifh have to be reconfigured as rentals now that the market cant absorb the high mortgages that are the result. How many people have the incomes toi live n "luxury". Note the average NYC household earns less than $60k per year, if you exclude Manhattan which is skewed by very high earners who will never live anywhere else because they dont have to.

So all of those who imagine that there are legions of people willing to live in the outer boroughs who can pay whatever rent folks think they can charge are dreaming. Unless they wish to see families living doubled up, and I dont see why any decent landlord woiuld want that in their buildings.

There has to be serious discussion on making housing more affordable, yet allowing landlords to earn decent returns. After all salaries are NOT increasing.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,701 times
I don't find either a problem. It's a progression. An area is bad, the hipsters move in, make it desireable, get priced out by yuppies, then they move on to the next area. There is never a lack of people wanting to live in NYC. You can't make laws and such to try and discourage this. If yuppies want to take over, more power to them. Middle to lower then get to move out or make more money. Simple as that. It's not any different then anywhere else. You either can afford to live here, or you can't.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Don't mind the yuppy/hispter/transplant/non-new york born bashers dude..

Just as they were chased out of Manhattan, and now increasingly out of more accessable parts of Brooklyn, and Queens, they too have the affordability problem. How long will their parents help them, or they can continue to tolerate room mates....or living in dangerous places with poor schools, once they begin to have kids?

NYC has to have a plan about what they are goi9ng to do with the middle class. Right now its about the destitute govt dependent and the wealthy. Folks here THINK they can survive as landlords if the middle group leaves.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I don't find either a problem. It's a progression. An area is bad, the hipsters move in, make it desireable, get priced out by yuppies, then they move on to the next area. There is never a lack of people wanting to live in NYC. You can't make laws and such to try and discourage this. If yuppies want to take over, more power to them. Middle to lower then get to move out or make more money. Simple as that. It's not any different then anywhere else. You either can afford to live here, or you can't.

Yet whats interesting is the yuppies need nannies for their kids and homeattendants for their parents. Love to shop so need sales clerls to tend to their needs. Dont plan to home school so nheed teachers. Go out to restuarants so need those workers.

Do you plan to fly these people in every day from South Carolina? There is a reasonj why the fastest growing jobs in NYC are in the low earning occupations. That is because the affluent NEED their services to maintain their quality of life.

You are welcome to equate these people with those who dont want to do anything but live of your tax dollars and rob you.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Just as they were chased out of Manhattan, and now increasingly out of more accessable parts of Brooklyn, and Queens, they too have the affordability problem. How long will their parents help them, or they can continue to tolerate room mates....or living in dangerous places with poor schools, once they begin to have kids?

NYC has to have a plan about what they are goi9ng to do with the middle class. Right now its about the destitute govt dependent and the wealthy. Folks here THINK they can survive as landlords if the middle group leaves.
All that's going to happen is that people are going to move where they can afford. In another 50 years, the wealthy in NYC will be surrounded by a ring of ghettos.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 490270 View Post
Okay.. A little confused here.
I'm young, into the arts, moving to NYC to pursue them. I'm rather broke (no financial help from parents ever) and completely on my own to support myself. I won't be able to live in Manhattan so I will have to live in a 'cheaper' neighborhood.

I feel like some people would automatically assume that from the above I am now a hipster? Just because some people have trust funds, doesn't mean we all do. At the end of the day, its just America's youth.
You my friend have lots in common with the lower middle clkass and working poor who are being opushed out.
Either yoiu live next door to thugs who threaten your life, or you dont live in NYC. This is increasingly whats happening to many DECENT people, and not just blacks and hispanics.

Dont listen to these short sighted landlords who think they can charge the world and that there will always be people to pay it. At some point paying high rent makes no sense. Just wait untril mortages become more available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City