Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 08:53 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Don't forget Park Slope, Greenpoint, and Astoria.
Yes the Greeks/Italians/Middle Easterners/South Americans in Astoria and the working class Poles in Greenpoint were heroically saved by the influx of Capt Yuppie and his brave legion of foodies...

Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Yes the Greeks/Italians/Middle Easterners/South Americans in Astoria and the working class Poles in Greenpoint were heroically saved by the influx of Capt Yuppie and his brave legion of foodies...
cant rep you anymore

Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 AM

147 posts, read 371,484 times
What do you mean? Those were traditionally family owned homes that were converted into apartments and made those Greek/Middle Eastern/Polish immigrants very wealthy. And new immigrants from those countries still move into the area because they get the hook up from their families who still have roots in the area. So yes, it might not have saved the area(Astoria was already a pretty good area) but it sure made it wealthier.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninintothevoid View Post
What do you mean? Those were traditionally family owned homes that were converted into apartments and made those Greek/Middle Eastern/Polish immigrants very wealthy. And new immigrants from those countries still move into the area because they get the hook up from their families who still have roots in the area. So yes, it might not have saved the area(Astoria was already a pretty good area) but it sure made it wealthier.
Yes I know Astoria was already a pretty good area. As was Greenpoint. Hence my sarcasm. And yes, I know that some people got wealthier over the years. That's not what I was speaking to. The poster in question listed those areas as being made better because of hipsters and yuppies. I'm saying that is very subjective and in my opinion downright silly.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 AM

248 posts, read 289,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
No they were not saved however Williamsburg / Greenpoint (my neighborhood) were far from being safe. Williamsburg, or more specifically Northside, was a real dump with Kent and Franklin avenues being outright dangerous. No Greenpoint/Williamsburg was no ghetto, they were white but far from nice or safe.

What do you have about yuppies i.e. working class, educated people? Do you have anything against gainful employment or college education?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
No they were not saved however Williamsburg / Greenpoint (my neighborhood) were far from being safe. Williamsburg, or more specifically Northside, was a real dump with Kent and Franklin avenues being outright dangerous. No Greenpoint/Williamsburg was no ghetto, they were white but far from nice or safe.

What do you have about yuppies i.e. working class, educated people? Do you have anything against gainful employment or college education?
Notice he didn't talk about Williamsburg... Comprehension is key here college grad... He spoke about the misconception that areas like Greenpoint and Astoria were dumps before the hipsters got here... Obviously that wasn't the case...

Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 AM

By the way these are the type of people hilltopjay says are good for society...

Hipsters Illegally Killed Upstate Deer While Making Hipster Apocalypse Movie: Gothamist

Wow... not only are they annoying but powerfully stupid and ignorant as well...

Old 04-18-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
What anon says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Notice he didn't talk about Williamsburg... Comprehension is key here college grad... He spoke about the misconception that areas like Greenpoint and Astoria were dumps before the hipsters got here... Obviously that wasn't the case...

Quote:
Yups are not generally working class. And I have nothing against "gainful employment or college education". Here, I made something for you though:

Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,662 times
The neighborhoods I mentioned, were indeed, save by the hipster/yuppies.

See it happens like this.
This is especially true in Williamsburg and LES.

1) A struggling 'creative type' can only afford X amount, and wants to be close to the action. He has limited options, so he decides to move to the 'hood' (ie; picture Williamsburg in the early 80's)

2) Copy-cats and posers follow the creative type, thus, increasing the noticeability of the neighborhood.

3) New business start to open to cater to the newcomers.

4) New developments start popin' up around the neighborhood.

5)The yuppester (a more affluent kind of hispter) moves in, significantly increasing demand for housing in the area.

6)The original ghetto types that populated the place start to get priced out, or incentivized to move out.

7)The Yuppies move in, sealing the deal and completing the transition from a former ghetto to a newly desirable neighborhood.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
The neighborhoods I mentioned, were indeed, save by the hipster/yuppies.

See it happens like this.
This is especially true in Williamsburg and LES.

1) A struggling 'creative type' can only afford X amount, and wants to be close to the action. He has limited options, so he decides to move to the 'hood' (ie; picture Williamsburg in the early 80's)

2) Copy-cats and posers follow the creative type, thus, increasing the noticeability of the neighborhood.

3) New business start to open to cater to the newcomers.

4) New developments start popin' up around the neighborhood.

5)The yuppester (a more affluent kind of hispter) moves in, significantly increasing demand for housing in the area.

6)The original ghetto types that populated the place start to get priced out, or incentivized to move out.

7)The Yuppies move in, sealing the deal and completing the transition from a former ghetto to a newly desirable neighborhood.

Well nobody is calling you out on the neighborhoods that you mentioned, but thanks for stopping by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City