Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM

248 posts, read 289,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77;[color=violet
23918955[/color] (tel:23918955 - broken link)]Maybe someone can give me a better idea on this subject.
But is it me or does the city seem to go in dramatic cycles.
mid 1800s-1900s it was a crazy rat house. You had places like 5 points and it was murderville USA
then it turned around In the 40s-50s-60s it was beautiful thriving and people weere probably having simliar conversation to what we are having now, and how they could not imagine living here or being around x amount of years ago
then the 70s-80s-90s hit and it went bad again. Murder at a all time high and people made a run for it.
00-present. Its nice, city clean, prices up and people could not imagine living in the 70-80-90 (tel:70-80-90 - broken link)s here.
So I guess enjoy it now while it last and for all those who want the "real" new york back we will just have to wait another decade or so.
Exactly. I think most of the people complaining are too young to know "the real New York" of the 80's and early 90's. That's why they complaining.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:44 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
Not only petty but stupid. All the business and homeowners in Greenpoint and Wiliambsurg thank God every day for the hipster/yupster bonanza that was given to them by the Higher Being. I cant believe there are people complaining about the gentrification and wealth coming to once run down neighborhoods.
I'm pretty sure that homeowners have no problem putting up with some slightly pretentious vintage/organic/vegetarian/vegan/free trade shops. The alternative could be far far worse.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I'm pretty sure that homeowners have no problem putting up with some slightly pretentious vintage/organic/vegetarian/vegan/free trade shops. The alternative could be far far worse.
Yes, it can definitely be worse. Actually I should say, it was worse before the yuppies moved in and sparked gentrification.

People on this board are such haters. If it were up to them, they'd rather have NY be a ghetto, crime infested and full of thugs and hoodrats, so long as that keeps the rents cheap.

Yuppies threaten their cheap rent so now they're mad. Boo hoo. Yet they fail to acknowledge that the yuppies made the "hood" desirable and livable. I would love to hear you yuppie haters to at least admit that yuppies improved the "hood".

Old 04-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yes, it can definitely be worse. Actually I should say, it was worse before the yuppies moved in and sparked gentrification.

People on this board are such haters. If it were up to them, they'd rather have NY be a ghetto, crime infested and full of thugs and hoodrats, so long as that keeps the rents cheap.

Yuppies threaten their cheap rent so now they're mad. Boo hoo. Yet they fail to acknowledge that the yuppies made the "hood" desirable and livable. I would love to hear you yuppie haters to at least admit that yuppies improved the "hood".
Don't forget that the yuppies that create all this business are constantly in the crosshairs by the poor. They create jobs and drive business, but they are always being put down for not paying their "fair share". I figure, the people that contribute the most to the economy shouldn't pay as much as people that do very little to assist the economy.

In a recession like this, are people going to really complain that people are willing to set up shop and create businesses? Or is it because they aren't ethnic enough? Or they haven't been in NYC long enough? Just be grateful that there are people crazy enough to start up business in not just rough areas, but rough economic times.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:11 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
basically what I am reading is: a nyc with a
smaller black population would be ideal.

now close this thread already lol.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
That's OK. I am pretty sure he envies your intelligence as well.
My internetz are gonna explode if keep up with these zany shenanigans!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Clearly you are. Yuppies and Hipsters are doing more in one day to reform bad neighborhoods then you will do in your whole life. It's not just hipsters and yuppies that transform, but they definitely work hard to provide value to this city. If you want to dump on them, they would be glad to allow the areas to be warzones and take their creativeness elsewhere.

Yes I am so very envious of the thousands and thousands of artists that contribute more than me or anyone that i know to this city. It's relieving to know that you were able to gather that without knowing me or what I do. Without gracing us with their presence, we surely would have imploded on ourselves.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:21 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times
I'll leave it at this. Like I've said, I really only commented on this thread when someone claimed that specifically Greenpoint and Astoria were in ruins before the magical, creative parade showed up. That is laughable, and some of you mouth breathers can't even accept that. I also commented on there only being two choices. Yupster or hoodrat. Rational thinking seems to have gone out the window with a lot of you.

Last edited by availableusername; 04-18-2012 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
My internetz are gonna explode if keep up with these zany shenanigans!!

Yes I am so very envious of the thousands and thousands of artists that contribute more than me or anyone that i know to this city. It's relieving to know that you were able to gather that without knowing me or what I do. Without gracing us with their presence, we surely would have imploded on ourselves.
Not all are artists. They open creative, interesting places. Green spaces. Sustainable environments. Doesn't that do quite a bit for the Earth and the community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
basically what I am reading is: a nyc with a
smaller black population would be ideal.

now close this thread already lol.
Well, we do have a racist on here. You. People that bring up race when it's not even being discussed clearly loves to try and stir racial tension. There are plenty of blacks that are yuppies or hipsters. Bad neighborhoods could have white, black, hispanic. Yes, maybe it skews more towards blacks, but that is not some design by the white man. If I say I wish they would clean up Brownsville or Jamaica, does that mean I'm a racist? No, I just wish for there not to be hoods where people get hurt living there.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:45 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
^ lol by making it less black.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:46 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I also commented on there only being two choices. Yupster or hoodrats.
Yes those ARE the 2 choices. Do I really need to break it down?

It's the "hood" vs. gentrification. Thugs, hoodrats, gang members, drug dealers, etc represent the ghetto neighborhoods. Hipsters and yuppies represent gentrified neighborhoods.

Ghetto neighborhoods = evil

Gentrified neighborhoods = good

Yuppies move into "hoods" and eventually transform it to a desirable, safe place to live. Hence the 2 options...yuppie or hoodrat.

Yuppies don't move into wealthy neighborhoods. They pick ghettos, plant their roots and improve the neighborhood.

Take West Harlem as an example. Go back 20 years ago, that place was a ish hole. Fast forward to today, though still a work in progress, West Harlem is a much safer, cleaner and more desirable place to live thanks to gentrification. Gentrification flushed out a ish load of ghetto people that lived in that section of Harlem that made it bad. Obviously those ghetto a$$ people failed at keeping "their" community clean, safe and desirable. So someone else stepped in and did it for them. Them being yuppies. Is that really so bad that a neighborhood goes from bad to good?

Is that so hard to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City