Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 10:50 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yet you still shoppin there

When did I say I was shopping there? I had to pass through there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 11:00 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
When did I say I was shopping there? I had to pass through there.
So then why the concern? You're not spending a substantial amount of time there so whats the deal?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-16-2018, 11:09 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That's no different than the past several decades. There's been collateral damage in the hood in forever this is nothing new
I walked past blood and crip gang members at the age of 12 in the 90's and had no problems they gave me a $5 and said you didn't see anything.

Today I would be gutted and shanked and funeral processions would be underway.

It is different. They will rape and kill your 90 year old grandmother and then throw your 6 year old sister in an industrial meat grinder.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:32 PM

497 posts, read 284,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I walked past blood and crip gang members at the age of 12 in the 90's and had no problems they gave me a $5 and said you didn't see anything.

It is different. They will rape and kill your 90 year old grandmother and then throw your 6 year old sister in an industrial meat grinder.
Gangs were worse back in the day, by far. Just look at the body counts in 80s and 90s NYC

Old 09-19-2018, 07:23 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
LMAO... That area gives East Harlem a run for it’s money. Always got a kick out of seeing the Fordham students run to and from Metro-North...
The distance between Fordham's Third Avenue entrance and Metro-North is about 15 feet. If you run, you might miss one of them.

Having said that, Fordham Road is rather dodgy once the sun goes down. One time a young fella standing in the- you guessed it- Metro North entrance demanded my money.

I did not give it to him. Did not run either, but I did one other time when a large pack started moving towards me with clearly nefarious intent. Should I have chilled and simply strolled along?

During the day, Fordham Road is ugly, but kind of interesting. New York's version of a Souk found in Cairo or Rabat. The road curves, has several hills, and is very, very crowded. The sidewalks too. Tons of stores and food stands plus freelance peddlers, hucksters, vipers, con-men, and other assorted miscreants.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The distance between Fordham's Third Avenue entrance and Metro-North is about 15 feet. If you run, you might miss one of them.

Having said that, Fordham Road is rather dodgy once the sun goes down. One time a young fella standing in the- you guessed it- Metro North entrance demanded my money.

I did not give it to him. Did not run either, but I did one other time when a large pack started moving towards me with clearly nefarious intent. Should I have chilled and simply strolled along?

During the day, Fordham Road is ugly, but kind of interesting. New York's version of a Souk found in Cairo or Rabat. The road curves, has several hills, and is very, very crowded. The sidewalks too. Tons of stores and food stands plus freelance peddlers, hucksters, vipers, con-men, and other assorted miscreants.
Wow, I've never heard of Fordham Road being compared to a North African outdoor market....LoL

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-19-2018, 07:50 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post

Lol that is just nostalgia. Gangs were terrible when we were kids.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
I'm in favor of new and improved mixed with a still old working class feel. The remodeling of Fordham Plaza is a good thing. The Plaza has had quite a few nice festivals, outdoor vendors and performances over the summer.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:28 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
Gangs were worse back in the day, by far. Just look at the body counts in 80s and 90s NYC
Kept them out of our jails, saved taxpayer money amen. Today the jails are packed because there's no way out for anyone with a criminal record and you become different class of people. You run out of money, you simply go rob a deli or grope a woman and get sent back to jail where they feed and took care of you. Then let you out again with no money and job prospects so you go beat up a woman or rob another store and back in your jail cell again. Rinse and repeat the life of a criminal.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:50 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Wow, I've never heard of Fordham Road being compared to a North African outdoor market....LoL
It's not an insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City