Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:31 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I clearly see these Northwest side neighborhoods. I knew them when I lived in the city. Even in the Late 70s Belmont/Central was seen as the change getting nearer to Fullerton and Central already. It remained vibrant.

Even Jefferson Park. Still the Bungalow-belt and Norwood Park into 50s 60s neighborhoods. TOTALLY REDICULES to trash them even today. Sure Latino movement into them from gentrification thru Logan Square and into Humboldt Park even gradually. Pushing them west. But still vibrant and NO COMPARISON to the notorious hood.

I don't doubt some crime uptick. But more Latinos isn't a Lost cause. They are still vibrant neighborhoods. Totally radical demonizing. IMO. These neighborhoods still have a significant Whir population too.

I guess for you the bar for judging how far north and west one lives ..... is none existent. Its just all LOST.... Heck posters in the Chicago forums still recommend these neighborhoods for more quite single home areas for families.

Archer Heights -classic Chicago 50s here.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ar...!4d-87.7263045

Belmont Central again. 20s thru mostly 50s housing including the Bungalow-belt.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...!4d-87.7777071

Love the Gingerbread homes of some blocks from the 40s.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9366...7i16384!8i8192

Jefferson Park neighborhood again .... bungalow belt 20s thru 50s versions

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9762...7i16384!8i8192

Norwood Park More the same. More into 60s

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9860...7i13312!8i6656

Pleeeeze not bad neighborhoods.

Getting ridicules.
Sorry, Google doesn't have a Babble to English translation feature.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:41 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Nonsense.

The poor, thugs or whatever suspect element have long known where to go when they want money. After all if you're living in a hood, most of your neighbors aren't going to have much more than yourself. Well that is unless they are drug dealers and or others engaged in criminal behavior. Yea, you do have those who work and manage to get something, but hitting up your neighbors brings a risk you'll be known, and or they just might also have a Glock, bat or whatever and not be an easy mark.

Major exceptions to this are drug addicts, and serious hard core criminals who don't give an eff. Think Paulie Walnuts who jacks and murders an old lady for the cash under her mattress. There are Dominican men and women who go around Washington Heights/Inwood jacking seniors who they somehow know keep large sums of money in their apartment.

OTOH the usual suspects long have come down below Harlem/96th street to rob, mug or whatever because again that is where the money can be found. Thanks to the NYC 24/hr., transit system getting around is rather easy. That and or increasingly they just ride their bikes to get around.

People are getting jacked in Central Park all the time now; and suspects are usually same as they always have been, and come from Harlem/upper Manhattan.

This and at least the UWS has plenty of "poor" mixed right in (and often next door) to middle and above class housing. You have NYCHA, supportive housing, SROs, halfway houses all over UWS just off CPW to Columbus. More still between that avenue and Amsterdam and Broadway. This goes on really until you get to Riverside Drive.

A female was attacked and almost raped on CPW several weeks ago. Perp lived literally around the corner one block away in a SRO/supportive housing.

Out on Staten Island there has been an increase in various property crimes. Often the suspects simply have driven over the VNB from Brooklyn.
Your lessening the OPs agenda here ..... "Now Stop it". Clearly the last post of the OP shows a Political agenda too. Not that points made are not relevant. But going to more extremes to make the blame and accusations here..... that can't be done in the Chicago forum in a thread. Stats already posted on very few are White and any White in their gangs.

Clearly and sadly, muggings, robberies and worst to kill the victim sometimes. Is hitting many of our cities. Chicago clearly has the worst segregated in notorious African-American hoods --- Gangland shootings. But other crimes as you note happen around Manhattan even .... are in most our major cities.

Chicago's overall other crime and states has it as other major cities with hoods. But of course.... some have this agenda to promote the whole city in a severe crime wave and good neighborhoods virtual hoods today too. Just waaaay over the top to make points. Clearly, there have been upswings as the gap between have's and have increased and deteriorating values is growing in our Nation.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Your lessening the OPs agenda here ..... "Now Stop it". Clearly the last post of the OP shows a Political agenda too. Not that points made are not relevant. But going to more extremes to make the blame and accusations here..... that can't be done in the Chicago forum in a thread. Stats already posted on very few are White and any White in their gangs.

Clearly and sadly, muggings, robberies and worst to kill the victim sometimes. Is hitting many of our cities. Chicago clearly has the worst segregated in notorious African-American hoods --- Gangland shootings. But other crimes as you note happen around Manhattan even .... are in most our major cities.

Chicago's overall other crime and states has it as other major cities with hoods. But of course.... some have this agenda to promote the whole city in a severe crime wave and good neighborhoods virtual hoods today too. Just waaaay over the top to make points. Clearly, there have been upswings as the gap between have's and have increased and deteriorating values is growing in our Nation.
Keep in mind NYC has a lot of media organizations that know how to promote the city well. There have been brutal recent murders in parts of the Bronx and part of Brooklyn. The murder rate in Chicago is higher per capita, but it's not like NYC is crime or problem free.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:59 AM

1,022 posts, read 773,436 times
Quote:

My agenda is still the same and that is to find out what New York did that got crime down as places many places but especially Chicago could use before it is too late to save these places that are getting worse each day. I would love too know what new York did so others can learn from them.

Thugs once ruled New York the way they rule Chicago and other places now and it got turned around. It did not happen magically so what was done is what I want to know?

Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 AM

40 posts, read 34,658 times
Yes, the original post has an agenda.

The OP clearly wants us to say the answer is "New York has more cops " or "racial profiling (like stop & frisk) works."

The OP made this post because Jason Van Dyke was found guilty of murdering Laquan MacDonald. This is revealed by the insistence that cops in Chicago are now saying they don't want to end up like Van Dyke.

That is ridiculous. Jason Van Dyke saw a kid (yes, black) with a knife who by all accounts including the video dash cam, was walking AWAY from the officer. The kid had his back to the officer when the officer shot him to the ground. Then the officer shot him FIFTEEN times.

And for one rare case a trigger happy, scared officer is held accountable , so now you want New Yorkers to oppose that for you.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaCupCoffee View Post
Yes, the original post has an agenda.

The OP clearly wants us to say the answer is "New York has more cops " or "racial profiling (like stop & frisk) works."

The OP made this post because Jason Van Dyke was found guilty of murdering Laquan MacDonald. This is revealed by the insistence that cops in Chicago are now saying they don't want to end up like Van Dyke.

That is ridiculous. Jason Van Dyke saw a kid (yes, black) with a knife who by all accounts including the video dash cam, was walking AWAY from the officer. The kid had his back to the officer when the officer shot him to the ground. Then the officer shot him FIFTEEN times.

And for one rare case a trigger happy, scared officer is held accountable , so now you want New Yorkers to oppose that for you.
Do not use my question for your agenda. Either answer what I have asked or do not waste my time. BTW Chicago had another violent weekend including the death of a two year old, Did New York NO so AGAIN WHY??? What did New York do?

Old 10-08-2018, 07:32 AM

37 posts, read 38,143 times
Under Giuliani and Bloomberg, things got better. Deblasio is trying to undo some of it. Definitely smell more pot and poop and pee when walking around nowadays.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies888 View Post
Under Giuliani and Bloomberg, things got better. Deblasio is trying to undo some of it. Definitely smell more pot and poop and pee when walking around nowadays.
Thanks! What did Giuliani and Bloomberg do I am curious? Did they do things that got crime down? or did something change? Sorry it is being undone.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Do not use my question for your agenda. Either answer what I have asked or do not waste my time. BTW Chicago had another violent weekend including the death of a two year old, Did New York NO so AGAIN WHY??? What did New York do?
Multiple people have answered you, and you keep asking the same question. Since no answer is apparently enough for you, do your own research. Read old newspapers online.

Don't worry, this thread with likely go downhill and get blocked or deleted. So no more Chicago related stuff on the NYC forum WHEN that happens.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:41 AM

X
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City