Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 03:06 PM

1,022 posts, read 773,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah, I'm talking the bad parts
According to Zillow one bedrooms in the Austin area of far west side which is as bad as it gets cost around 750 a month

Old 10-06-2018, 04:06 PM

39 posts, read 30,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Another factor not often mentioned about NYC's drop in crime is that a higher number of NYC criminals (drug dealers, murderers etc) are foreign born than that of Chicago. Specifically, a lot of the high crime/homicides 25-30 years ago in NYC were from Dominican and Jamaican drug cartels. These violent criminals were locked up in the 90s, and deported back to their home countries after release (if they were permanent residents, or illegal which a good number of them were). So that's thousands of criminals that were never released back into NYC. Chicago doesn't and did not have this. Much more of the crime is committed by American citizens, so these people get released back into the streets of Chicago.
What about the NY criminals who were African American or Puerto Rican

Old 10-06-2018, 04:33 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
I love Chicago. Not NYC but enjoyable.
People here seem to forget it's on Lake Michigan which is the "ocean" to the midwest. Its not like its in no man's land.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I love Chicago. Not NYC but enjoyable.
People here seem to forget it's on Lake Michigan which is the "ocean" to the midwest. Its not like its in no man's land.
I love Chicago too and have for MANY years now but god damn it is getting way too out of control the last few years and now it will only get much worse and is already!

I just dont know anymore. I never ever thought I would live any where else. I had no doubt I would die here. But now I am worried I will die here due too violence not old age!

Old 10-06-2018, 05:29 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
I love Chicago too and have for MANY years now but god damn it is getting way too out of control the last few years and now it will only get much worse and is already!

I just dont know anymore. I never ever thought I would live any where else. I had no doubt I would die here. But now I am worried I will die here due too violence not old age!
How much has the crime and murder rate directly affected you?

Old 10-06-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
How much has the crime and murder rate directly affected you?
It is getting to the point where I am actually nervous every time I leave my place which has never happened before.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:59 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
You can't live life in fear. Either you adapt and accept your surrounds or you move. Its really is as simple as that. Some people can tolerate more than others and thats neither good or bad. Its how a person is built.
If you are getting afraid to walk out the door in all seriousness and not being dramatic then its time to move because what you love about it is overshadowed by feelings of being unsafe.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You can't live life in fear. Either you adapt and accept your surrounds or you move. Its really is as simple as that. Some people can tolerate more than others and thats neither good or bad. Its how a person is built.
If you are getting afraid to walk out the door in all seriousness and not being dramatic then its time to move because what you love about it is overshadowed by feelings of being unsafe.
I hate the thought of leaving but you are right and I have been thinking about maybe doing just that.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What is a 1 bedroom on the West Side of Chicago going for these days in rent??? Lets talk some real stuff here.
Chicago is cheap compare to NYC the nicer areas in Chicago rents are generally $1500-$3200 the same as Brooklyn.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...98737130_zpid/

Old 10-06-2018, 06:17 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
It is getting to the point where I am actually nervous every time I leave my place which has never happened before.
Do you live in one of the areas that often sees gun violence?

Reason I ask is it seems a lot of people who live in the suburbs of some city find a reason to feel insecure about going into the city, even though they don't travel through the dangerous areas, and the gun violence is seldom random, so the crime usually doesn't directly affect them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City