Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,683 times

Advertisements

Im surprised no one here have pointed out or asked what happens if there is a fire or carbon monoxide gas and the alarm goes off while sleeping when using these earplugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 11:03 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Im surprised no one here have pointed out or asked what happens if there is a fire or carbon monoxide gas and the alarm goes off while sleeping when using these earplugs?
They block noise but not all noise. Even when I'm using them and the white noise machine, I would still wake up if my phone rings or my alarm goes off.

The Macks earplugs that I use have a 22 decibel noise reduction rating.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:07 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,864,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Apartment living does take some getting adjusted to.
Please don't get me started. I'm not adjusting to bullsh*t. I'm not catering to the loser lifestyle.

My neighbor's daughter won't even use her bathroom because of the stench of the pot from the loser next to them.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:01 PM

123 posts, read 96,752 times
Thank you to those who have offered CONSTRUCTIVE advice.

No, I do not want the dog taken away. I just want someone to be a respectful and considerate and responsible pet owner and neighbor. I ask for so much.

Will report back.

Last edited by jnyc212; 11-01-2018 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I also have the other one that is very popular, the Marpac, but I had to get out the big guns with the Lectrofan when my upstairs neighbor was hobbling around on that walker. The Marpac has a nicer, softer sound, but the Lectrofan gets the job done better if you're really dealing with some noise that could easily wake you.
I use the Marpac but it's really useless for impact noise. GREAT when someone on the floor is having a party.
I will take a look at the Lectrofan - thanks.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Just because you have a dog does not make you the Dog Whisperer or dog Landlord for that matter.
You state: "I have a dog myself who doesn't bark at home and makes minimal noise,"
How would you feel if you were not allowed to speak and only talk minimally? You did a good thing
saving a dog life. I give credit where credit is due. Some where you have a heart. Did you stop to
think that you could possibly destroy the life of the dog upstairs. It may possibly be put down just to satisfy your needs?
I do not truly believe your heart is in the right place at this time as your illness is getting in the way. True dog lovers are tolerant to " dog noise" just as parents are tolerant to crying or colic babies. As far as you sleeping with a white machine and have anxiety attacks looking for another place to live; that is not normal. I would consider making an appointment with a doctor for a checkup. There may be something underlying causing your hypersensitivity to your surroundings. I grew up in an apartment with a train that rattled by every couple of minutes. It's called acclimation. You strike me as a person who would get startled by the sound of a toilet flushing. I feel sorry for you, your dog ,your neighbor and her dog. I am not out to upset you. I am responding from another point of view. Just calling it like I sees it. Hope all turns out OK. I'll pray for you.
May God Bless your soul with inner peace so that it reflects outward to all you touch in your everyday life.
Perhaps you should go back to work - retirement clearly is giving you too much time on your hands.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:49 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,864,035 times
Quote:
I just mean apartment living in general, not the attitudes or lifestyles of people living in them
Trust me, if I didn't adjust, I would be moving. That said, some things I will NOT put up with.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:33 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
For the people who use white noise machines or earplugs at night - what did you do as children?

Just curious
I wasn’t all that sensitive to noise when younger. It was only when I hit my 30’s that it
started to interfere with my ability to sleep.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:36 PM

528 posts, read 712,572 times
Doesn't your condo have quiet hour rules after 10PM or something? Whenever you hear the dog after that call the police. Eventually she will get the message?

Old 11-01-2018, 01:44 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
You’ll still hear it. It’ll just be muffled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: