Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 02:19 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

Nice melodramatic title line, huh?

Personally, I'm very anti-drone for all kinds of reasons - not just privacy but safety (as can be seen with the recent London Gatwick fiasco). But I'm particularly perturbed at the police spying on, well, EVERYONE for New Year's.

A New NYPD Drone Will Watch Over Times Square New Year’s Celebrations
NYPD Drone Will Watch Over New Year

Times Square New Year's Eve security to include NYPD drone for the first time
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...228-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 04:16 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
I do not find it disturbing or an invasion of privacy.
As a matter of fact I welcome this invasion in the name of security.
The capability to see through walls has been around for years.
As scary as it sounds nothing is private anymore including our body parts.
This is life.....................all in the name of our well being.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:07 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
I don't like this at all. What's to stop police from using drones to identify people at a political rally? When combined with facial recognition technology, as is already being perfected and used in China, our rights to come and go as we please will be curtailed.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:10 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I don't like this at all. What's to stop police from using drones to identify people at a political rally? When combined with facial recognition technology, as is already being perfected and used in China, our rights to come and go as we please will be curtailed.

I'm all for drones at certain rallies.
Great for weeding out the instigators of our society.

Bottom Line.
The ones who have nothing to hide have nothing to worry.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:39 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
It can't make things much worse than they already are, and might make it better as they gather real-time information.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:23 PM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
What's the difference between a drone and a manned helicopter?

Old 12-30-2018, 07:26 PM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
A plain close cop at a rally recording with a phone cam is more useful for this than a drine.

Also, what protects us from an overreaching government is kiting the actions the government can take against individuals, not what information it records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post

Old 12-30-2018, 08:54 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
I am surprised this year's NYE is the first to deploy drones.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 2,141 times
The NYPD is pretty great for the most part . I have been arrested for driving with a suspended license and a couple of other small things . It was an annoyance , but they are not bad guys . They deserve our respect. They encounter horrific situations everyday. I was stuck in the middle of the BLM protest at it’s height during 2014/2015. This was during Christmas near Rockefeller center. The protesters were were coming up and through each block .
Anyway, they were great at crowd control without getting obnoxious . A pipe bomb went off during the beginning of the Halloween parade in 2017. We need the protection of the drone’s surveillance. The NYPD is currently a great police force and very well respected by most of the residents of NYC. I am glad they are around and I am no goody two shoes .

Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 2,141 times
Cool Drones are fine for large crowds by a responsible police force!

The NYPD is pretty great for the most part . I have been arrested for driving with a suspended license and a couple of other small things . It was an annoyance , but they are not bad guys . They deserve our respect. They encounter horrific situations everyday. I was stuck in the middle of the BLM protest at it’s height during 2014/2015. This was during Christmas near Rockefeller center. The protesters were were coming up and through each block .
Anyway, they were great at crowd control without getting obnoxious . A pipe bomb went off during the beginning of the Halloween parade in 2017. We need the protection of the drone’s surveillance. The NYPD is currently a great police force and very well respected by most of the residents of NYC. I am glad they are around and I am no goody two shoes .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City