Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
How in the **** is that relevant to this topic at hand?

We went from "millennials," to people who are clearly not millennials bragging about owning homes and being lucky and in the right place at the right time, to a man ranting about woman, to now you talking about unwed mothers and fathers not being in the picture?!

Am I missing something?
This is one of the reasons I deleted my post quickly after posting it.

After I read my post I realized those that came before us millennials will never understand that they had it better than us. The same way us millennials have it better than Generation Z. They look at us and say we are lazy but they don't understand we have to work twice as hard to get what was handed to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 06:05 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Yes as Propman and BronxGuayanese mention, Gender and Race definitely play a role. Your life experiences will vary significantly based on how you look and where you are raised, who you know, etc.

There are multiple NYCs but the one thing that is a common theme is fierce competition for dwindling opportunities which is the case nationwide. We are in a Battle Royale and only a small elite group will make it through.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:51 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
This is one of the reasons I deleted my post quickly after posting it.

After I read my post I realized those that came before us millennials will never understand that they had it better than us. The same way us millennials have it better than Generation Z. They look at us and say we are lazy but they don't understand we have to work twice as hard to get what was handed to them.
Different era for millennials. Workplace environment is completed changed. Demand for housing here is through the roof, thus high rent and house prices. Supply of labor is greater than demand, thus all the recent grads unemployed or working jobs that are beneath what they got a degree for. It is harder for millennials who dont have a silver spoon. There are not enough good paying jobs and careers out there to all the college grads out there. A lot of millennials go to college thinking a great job awaits them just because of a degree, but thats hardly the case. I only got a bit ahead from my early hustle on ebay about 15 years ago, but even that window has closed. I used my savings from the business to put into my co oP, which I will sell and use the proceeds to put for the down payment of my future house in the near future.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:19 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
In the past couple of years. I have noticed transient types working in low end retail and service jobs in nyc. Such jobs all you would see are just local minorities employed in such sectors. My best for those moving to nyc. Stay where you are. Live in mommy and daddies basement in suburbia.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 AM

766 posts, read 508,024 times
I’m good

I was lucky enough to meet a likeminded spouse at an early age. It’s easier to survive in nyc on two incomes. We both didn’t have student loan debt, saved up money living at home with parents. Took that money and bought a two family house in a gentrifying area right before it would have became unaffordable for us.

We rent out the garden unit. Paying way less for 3 bedroom duplex market rate in the city. Plus we benefit on the tax end being married and homeowners

This millennial made the right decisions for his family

Old 01-15-2019, 03:08 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
I was lucky enough to meet a likeminded spouse at an early age. It’s easier to survive in nyc on two incomes.
Nice, yeah but that is how it is everywhere not just NYC. Yeah and if you shack up with someone who does not have financial clarity or they have costly addictions and whatnot, it can really drag both partners down. And something as simple as a break up can totally shake the grounds of that dual income - quick.

But the way I see it: the economy is just about the same as it always was with the exception of the Baby Boomers. The Baby Boomers are the only wild card that upsets so many people because we lack anything else within reach to compare to. Plus they totally squandered everything. I think squandering wealth was not very much known until the Boomers came along.

Even further back in time, land ownership was reserved for royalty. That is where the term Land Lord is derived from because originally most everyone was in serious poverty and slavery except for the Lords, or the royalty, the very wealthy few. There may have been some merchants who were in the good graces of the royalty but they were probably just a few paychecks ahead of the slaves.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:14 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,509 times
I'm still loling at these responses. Apparently all 10 millennials who own homes (no, MULTI-FAMILY homes) in NYC are visiting this thread.

I guess all the people I know, and all the people they know, are just figments of the imagination and there is no millennial crisis.

I guess all it takes is going back in time 10-15 years, finding a likeminded spouse, having no college debt, inheriting a down payment, having a stable city job with a pension, and being able to buy in an area of NYC that's not yet gentrified.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:38 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
I'm still loling at these responses. Apparently all 10 millennials who own homes (no, MULTI-FAMILY homes) in NYC are visiting this thread.

I guess all the people I know, and all the people they know, are just figments of the imagination and there is no millennial crisis.

I guess all it takes is going back in time 10-15 years, finding a likeminded spouse, having no college debt, inheriting a down payment, having a stable city job with a pension, and being able to buy in an area of NYC that's not yet gentrified.
Yeah practically nobody I know below age 35 owns at all and I've worked at several high paying jobs in vendors that service F500s.

Everyone I know who owns and has a mortgage is at minimum around 40.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 PM

42 posts, read 48,486 times
Quote:

The existence of older Millennials who were able to purchase homes doesn't negate the existence/struggles of younger Millennials who were locked out of the housing market.

For the record I'm 37 years old and didn't get ANY financial help from my parents.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:03 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Yeah practically nobody I know below age 35 owns at all and I've worked at several high paying jobs in vendors that service F500s.

Everyone I know who owns and has a mortgage is at minimum around 40.
I know a few people early 30's that own and have a mortgage but then again they are Asian (Chinese and Indian) and in their culture they do things differently where the kids live at home practically rent free until they get married. then they buy a house and move out. this is not how my culture does it and many others I know. I know way more people in despair living from paycheck to paycheck because they just didn't plan ahead in their early 20's and was screaming YOLO, and you cant take it with you, and spend it when you got it.

In my experience its about upbringing and culture. But then again Im a outlier as im west indian who immigrated here at a young age, while living in NYCHA for about 20 years I went straight from high school to college, graduated and took any job I could get in my career field while still advancing my education with certifications relevant to my degree. As my education advanced so did my contacts, opportunities, and pay increase. While I was working in corporate for 10 years I managed to pay off all my student loans in my first 3 years of working by not having expensive things like jordans, tims, northface gear, those stupid Vanson jackets, a car, taking vacations, going out partying, etc. The only help my parents gave me for college was to co-sign a loan and even then I was the one paying it off. I cant even say parents because only my mom singed it while my father had the nerve to tell me I shouldn't go to college and I should go get a job because he didn't go to college and hes doing well for himself (again old people thinking not realizing times have changed). Once I got my money together from investing I moved out of NYCHA to a Co-op while having a good paying career.

I had tons of doors slammed in m face and dealt with lots of discrimination but I kept going because I knew I if I didn't get my sh1t together by age 30 I would have been fu_ked just like others I know playing catchup in their 30's.

Last edited by SoullessOne; 01-15-2019 at 06:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City