Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 11:22 AM

7 posts, read 7,574 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I recently closed the deal in getting an apartment by the Broadway LIRR station.

I used to live at Utopia Pkwy. by 42 Ave. from 2009 to 2014 and have not seen any crime. I am moving from Bayside, NY (by Northern Blvd. and Cross Island Pkwy.) to Flushing, NY (Murray Hill) right by 166 St.

I know during the day it's okay but at night I am not sure (between 8pm to 2am).

My question is it safe to move to that neighborhood or did I make a mistake?

I would consider moving back to Bayside, NY in a year or two if it was a mistake.

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 04:15 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,822 times
Why are you asking this now after closing the deal?

Old 01-15-2019, 04:24 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,881,284 times
It is safe in my opinion. I lived near Auburndale LIRR stop for a couple of years. But as with anywhere at night watch yourself. There are a lot of immigrants in the area from Central America but also middle class Koreans.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:18 PM

84 posts, read 62,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogiBklyn View Post
Hi all!

I recently closed the deal in getting an apartment by the Broadway LIRR station.

I used to live at Utopia Pkwy. by 42 Ave. from 2009 to 2014 and have not seen any crime. I am moving from Bayside, NY (by Northern Blvd. and Cross Island Pkwy.) to Flushing, NY (Murray Hill) right by 166 St.

I know during the day it's okay but at night I am not sure (between 8pm to 2am).

My question is it safe to move to that neighborhood or did I make a mistake?

I would consider moving back to Bayside, NY in a year or two if it was a mistake.

Thanks for the input!
I know this area pretty well. Like most of Queens, it was a great area up until about 15 years ago. A lot of illegal aliens have moved in (mostly Asian/Hispanic central American). If you are on the north side of northern blvd, it's pretty safe, even by the train at 3am. There are so many nice big houses in that area. However, much different story just blocks away on the south side of Northern blvd. There was just an MS 13 murder there a few weeks ago by 165 street. There are a ton of Chinese brothels up and down 162nd street which draws in a lot of black criminals from downtown Flushing. You're better off over in Bayside but you'll be fine where you are. Just be aware after midnight.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:21 PM

84 posts, read 62,038 times
The rule is the further East you go on Northern blvd the better it gets.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:33 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,860,388 times
If only QueensCeltic was here to share his opinion...

Old 01-15-2019, 07:09 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,881,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanMan View Post
I know this area pretty well. Like most of Queens, it was a great area up until about 15 years ago. A lot of illegal aliens have moved in (mostly Asian/Hispanic central American). If you are on the north side of northern blvd, it's pretty safe, even by the train at 3am. There are so many nice big houses in that area. However, much different story just blocks away on the south side of Northern blvd. There was just an MS 13 murder there a few weeks ago by 165 street. There are a ton of Chinese brothels up and down 162nd street which draws in a lot of black criminals from downtown Flushing. You're better off over in Bayside but you'll be fine where you are. Just be aware after midnight.
LOL

"Black Criminals" from downtown flushing are not going all the way up to 165th and Crocheron. There's only one area they would come from primarily and that's the projects near the Skyview Mall...Do you really think they are going all the way up Northern?

You're right though about MS13 but nowhere near as deep compared to Suffolk county.

Chinese brothels not really. At least not compared to the area around Kissena Park. But more on the South side of Northern as you mentioned. There's Korean ones on the North side but they tend to be more low key.

Bayside may be nicer but it's also more pricey and out of the way. So if OP works in the city he's going to have a hefty LIRR monthly ticket. Having said that the Port Washington line is the most reliable in my opinion out of them all. Rarely had issues taking it back in '11

There is still high Italian home ownership as well as pockets of Greeks once you get past 165th. Eventually it will be extended K-town/Little Mexico but not for another 25 years.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:31 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
If only QueensCeltic was here to share his opinion...
He would tell you that it is fantastic and he wishes that everyone of all stripes, all creeds would move in. It was the final wish of his account before it was so ignominiously put to the ground.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:31 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
LOL

"Black Criminals" from downtown flushing are not going all the way up to 165th and Crocheron. There's only one area they would come from primarily and that's the projects near the Skyview Mall...Do you really think they are going all the way up Northern?

You're right though about MS13 but nowhere near as deep compared to Suffolk county.

Chinese brothels not really. At least not compared to the area around Kissena Park. But more on the South side of Northern as you mentioned. There's Korean ones on the North side but they tend to be more low key.

Bayside may be nicer but it's also more pricey and out of the way. So if OP works in the city he's going to have a hefty LIRR monthly ticket. Having said that the Port Washington line is the most reliable in my opinion out of them all. Rarely had issues taking it back in '11

There is still high Italian home ownership as well as pockets of Greeks once you get past 165th. Eventually it will be extended K-town/Little Mexico but not for another 25 years.
It is a Mexican area? Or more so Central American?

Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 7,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Why are you asking this now after closing the deal?

I didn't realize until after I closed the deal.That's when it hit me when I heard last year I 39 year old man was shot and killed by a MS-13 member just past midnight while standing in front of a store south of Northern Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City