Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:25 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times

Advertisements

It’s usually how you treat them, resulting in the kind of service that you get. I’ve never had a problem in Whole Foods. I am not gonna region or job shame anyone who is actively working a legal job to make a living. Give em a Hi, and that’s it. If they respond accordingly then so should you. I’m happy if they’re not Chatty Patty’s. Who has time for a full blown ass conversation at Whole Foods? Especially with a trifecta of lines? I think people are expecting too much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 10:36 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
It’s usually how you treat them, resulting in the kind of service that you get. I’ve never had a problem in Whole Foods. I am not gonna region or job shame anyone who is actively working a legal job to make a living. Give em a Hi, and that’s it. If they respond accordingly then so should you. I’m happy if they’re not Chatty Patty’s. Who has time for a full blown ass conversation at Whole Foods? Especially with a trifecta of lines? I think people are expecting too much
This is actually a pet peeve of mine. I don't know who sent the memo that said EVERYONE in retail has to ask me how my day is/has been. Honestly, I just want to say it's none of your #$$%^$% business. Here's your money, give me my stuff. .

Old 02-19-2019, 10:47 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
What a narrow minded thing to say. You could use the same language to describe someone who’s never had to work a day in their life and was raised on the UES, too. Or Greenwich. Smh.
I'm sorry but the statement is true. Since the minimum wage hike, I have noticed a change in this. That said, some of the worst locations are below:

Whole Foods - 87th and 3rd. Ghetto, rude cashiers and stock people. I had one guy who walked over to me while I was shopping for shower gel and "chastised me" for not "asking" for help. I said to myself, if I wanted your help I would ask you.

Whole Foods - 57th and 3rd. Ghetto, rude cashiers and stock people. The workers take over the upstairs area so that paying customers have to wait to sit to eat. Security people seem to make a point of targeting and following people of certain backgrounds, which I find disgusting in 2019. Workers will yell out loudly in Spanish. I speak Spanish but this practice is rude around paying customers.

Whole Foods - Union Square. Lackadaisical workers - Always soooo slow to get things from the deli or prepared food area.

Whole Foods - Bryant Park - 42nd & 6th. This can vary depending on who is working there. Either decent workers or rude ones.

The best one for a while was the Tribeca one, but the same toxic workers have moved into this location as well. I usually don't have a problem with the cashiers, but rather the stock people. Can't shop without having to wait for them move no matter what time you shop there!!

Old 02-19-2019, 10:50 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
LOL. This is why online shopping is taking over. You don't have to interact with the worker at the store. Just pick your items, it gets delivered and you go on with your life.

Some of these employees hate their job and having to service certain people. Some of them find their jobs demeaning, hate the low wage, etc. There is no fix to this.

Look at Barney's and how they profile people of color. They had code words.

Look at the controversy with Gucci and Prada over black face.

A solution is also to do your grocery shopping early in the AM when people are not too drained by having to deal with people.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'm sorry but the statement is true. Since the minimum wage hike, I have noticed a change in this. That said, some of the worst locations are below:

Whole Foods - 87th and 3rd. Ghetto, rude cashiers and stock people. I had one guy who walked over to me while I was shopping for shower gel and "chastised me" for not "asking" for help. I said to myself, if I wanted your help I would ask you.

Whole Foods - 57th and 3rd. Ghetto, rude cashiers and stock people. The workers take over the upstairs area so that paying customers have to wait to sit to eat. Security people seem to make a point of targeting and following people of certain backgrounds, which I find disgusting in 2019. Workers will yell out loudly in Spanish. I speak Spanish but this practice is rude around paying customers.

Whole Foods - Union Square. Lackadaisical workers - Always soooo slow to get things from the deli or prepared food area.

Whole Foods - Bryant Park - 42nd & 6th. This can vary depending on who is working there. Either decent workers or rude ones.

The best one for a while was the Tribeca one, but the same toxic workers have moved into this location as well. I usually don't have a problem with the cashiers, but rather the stock people. Can't shop without having to wait for them move no matter what time you shop there!!
What time do you usually shop? In the AM or in the evening?

You also have to factor that these people interact with a LOT of people and might have a couple of experiences that have made them jaded.

IMO, the AM is the best time to shop. Go right in when they open.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:57 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

So you're equating the minimum wage hike with the downward spiral in attitude, as in now that they're making $15 an hour they're less motivated to behave like decent human beings? I can't argue with your experiences above but I'm not sure you can tie it to the wage hike.

On the other hand, I had a Whole Foods guy behind the fish counter come to my defense recently when an obnoxious, over privileged guy ran me over with his cart and then blamed me for being in the way. Some humans just suck.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:59 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It seems narrow minded, I agree. But unfortunately I had a job one time where I dealt with this exact population ( trying to help them find low level jobs) and the attitudes, excuses and incompetence were unbelievable. It’s amazing that some of them even got hired at all. So yes, I’m biased.

And sure, there may be pain in the ass rich people from Greenwich or UES who would also make terrible cashiers. But that’s a moot point since that’s not who we’re encountering at Whole Foods cashier stations in the city.

I agree with you sadly. I've even seen that in some offices I worked in, admin jobs and the like. The attitude is unreal.

It's how they were brought up. But I would think a high end supermarket like Whole Foods would not tolerate that kind of attitude.

The people at my local Trader Joe's are so beyond friendly...I love shopping there.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:03 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
What time do you usually shop? In the AM or in the evening?

You also have to factor that these people interact with a LOT of people and might have a couple of experiences that have made them jaded.

IMO, the AM is the best time to shop. Go right in when they open.
It varies, but I usually shop in the morning on weekends because I want to get in and out quickly and not deal with large crowds of people. The less crowded it is the better.

I cannot STAND crowds, nor locations that are full of tourists. They are not buying anything and just clog up the aisles and hold you up. In Tribeca, I try to go early or in the evening before or after the stroller moms descend on the place because otherwise you will struggle to shop and get out.

As I said I rarely have an issue with any of the cashiers. My problem is usually with the obnoxious stock people that block the way or stare at you rudely when you come over to get an item like what are you doing over here? Nerve...

That said, I think the location at 87th and 3rd is the one where I have encountered the rudest cashiers. One Saturday morning I went in to get groceries. Primarily breakfast items for brunch for myself and the girlfriend. I get a loaf of raisin bread for french toast. Every other Whole Foods has a clear policy about bread save this one. Get the rest of my items. Check out comes... Cashier is VERY rude and chastising me about how I have to do this and that with the bread. I told her well if that's the case there should be a sign posted. Then she tried to overcharge me. I told her I didn't want the bread (certainly not at almost $10.00), and requested that she take it off of my bill. She refused to do so, as if to say since you have the money to afford this chit you can pay anything. I was livid. I went over to customer service and got my money back and was given the bread for free. Told my girlfriend about it and how she should avoid shopping there as well. That place is really the pits. A total rat maze with the rudest, most ghetto workers I have ever seen. No manners at all. They will RUN in front of you and cut you off with your shopping cart just to chit chat with each other. I only go there if I'm in a rush, otherwise I go to other locations with fresher produce and nicer workers. I am not expecting a royal welcome. Just some level of respect as a human being and customer service.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
So you're equating the minimum wage hike with the downward spiral in attitude, as in now that they're making $15 an hour they're less motivated to behave like decent human beings? I can't argue with your experiences above but I'm not sure you can tie it to the wage hike.

On the other hand, I had a Whole Foods guy behind the fish counter come to my defense recently when an obnoxious, over privileged guy ran me over with his cart and then blamed me for being in the way. Some humans just suck.
I thought it could have something to do with the wage hike as well. Before the minimum wage was raised, say about 3 years ago, Whole Foods I think was paying $15/hour. Other terrible jobs were paying $9 to $12/hour. So the worst employees were in those $9 to $12/ hour jobs and Whole Foods got the better employees.

I don't know how much WF pays now, but I doubt it's much higher than $15. So good employees are no longer attracted to WF as much -- they can go elsewhere (maybe closer to home or some other benefit) and still make the same amount of money.

And regarding the fish counter -- pretty sure those employees are not the same caliber as the cashiers. I think they have special training or maybe make more money. Just a guess.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
TJ's and Whole Foods employees have very different attitudes, night and day. The other chain in the city which has exceptionally good customer service at the checkout is Pret a Manger. Always a good experience. If they have an occasional dingdong up front who doesn't seem to get it, that person seems to end up pretty soon in the food prep. area where there non-personal skills are probably better employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City