Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 06:22 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I didn't read the article, but if it only works on a smart phone, I would not support the change.
Ugh... Reading is fundamental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 02:50 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
In the article it says they will have dedicated cards.
Rgr, then this is something that I can get behind

Old 02-24-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Ugh... Reading is fundamental.
And you really felt the need to chime in with this??? What the hell??

Old 02-24-2019, 02:52 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,683 times
Quote:
I didn't read the article, but if it only works on a smart phone, I would not support the change.
Is your opinion so important that you decided its best to comment on a topic that you didn't even take the time to understand?

Old 02-24-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Is your opinion so important that you decided its best to comment on a topic that you didn't even take the time to understand?

Einstein, perhaps I was working on a device that failed to open the link. Still, the nastiness of your post is a disgrace, especially as my original post was not provocative in any way. What the hell is wrong with some people

Old 02-24-2019, 02:56 PM

Ive been in other cities that have tap and go cards. I love it. I don't even have to take the card out of my wallet and most of the time I just place it in the back of my phone case. The magnetic strip swiping is a thing of the past and its beyond annoying when you have to swipe multiple time to get it to read. One of the worst things about the metrocards is once you buy it, they have your money, if you loose that card, there goes your money with it unless it was purchased by a credit card.

Cant wait for the new system to be implemented where I can use my phone or a card if I choose.

Last edited by SoullessOne; 02-24-2019 at 03:08 PM..

Old 02-24-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Einstein, perhaps I was working on a device that failed to open the link. Still, the nastiness of your post is a disgrace, especially as my original post was not provocative in any way. What the hell is wrong with some people
You do realize that YOU are the one who engaged with a nasty reply right?

Einstein
At least I was smart enough to read the article and WAIT to reply once I understood it and not just blurt garbage out of my mouth making me look stupid in the process....

Old 02-24-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
You do realize that YOU are the one who engaged with a nasty reply right?

Einstein
At least I was smart enough to read the article and WAIT to reply once I understood it and not just blurt garbage out of my mouth making me look stupid in the process....
I answered nastiness with nastiness (the you provided speaks for itself). But I initiated nothing. Get over yourself. I'm not concerned that you thought I looked "stupid in the process." But I still will always treat others with kindness as an initial matter. My initial post here attacked no one. And I made clear that I had not read the article. Your reply to mine added NOTHING but nastiness. It was unnecessary. One for the ignore list because I don't have time for unsolicited negativity.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:24 PM

100 posts, read 59,018 times
prospectheightsresident, I was going to respond to you but I did not know what the article meant exactly; if a card still had to be activated by an app. So I decided not to respond. And there is usually someone who is able to respond with an answer. My first thought was I agree I hope it is not dependent on an app. I hate having to make sure my cell phone is properly charged and I am conscious of using up my limited cell plan minutes as I wait to use my cell app for say a concert ticket scanning or the NYC Ferry App Ticket scanning. And one time my iPhone took so long to power on, the NYC Ferry ticket agent would not wait for me and closed the ferry entrance on me even though I had been close to the front of the line and had waited 20 mins+ for the ferry to arrive. I had to wait another 45-60 mins for the next ferry. What a bummer!

Old 02-24-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolving View Post
prospectheightsresident, I was going to respond to you but I did not know what the article meant exactly; if a card still had to be activated by an app. So I decided not to respond. And there is usually someone who is able to respond with an answer. My first thought was I agree I hope it is not dependent on an app. I hate having to make sure my cell phone is properly charged and I am conscious of using up my limited cell plan minutes as I wait to use my cell app for say a concert ticket scanning or the NYC Ferry App Ticket scanning. And one time my iPhone took so long to power on, the NYC Ferry ticket agent would not wait for me and closed the ferry entrance on me even though I had been close to the front of the line and had waited 20 mins+ for the ferry to arrive. I had to wait another 45-60 mins for the next ferry. What a bummer!
That was my concern, too, and I'm glad to see that it is unfounded! As time goes by, I'm seeing more things be automated and replaced by "x" or "y" technological advance. Even for simple things like monetary transactions, I'm finding more and more places are not accepting cash as a form of payment. Instead, more places are requiring that you have a credit card, debit card, or some kind of app to make payment. Here's an article about the growing phenomenon: https://www.sfgate.com/business/arti...e-12456054.php

I think many assume that everyone is connected just like them, but that is certainly not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City