Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 03:59 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,893 times

Advertisements

I am so irritated by the mta , I almost want to scream at all the stupid announcements that seem to always be playing in the stations . It’s constant. What other system in the world is constantly talking at riders? Do they annoy anyone else? Here they are:

-it’s against the rules and very dangerous to ride or walk between cars...1 trains are not stopping at 168th st in both directions because of escalator replacement...the next uptown 2 express train is 4 minutes away...please step aside and let the customers off the train first

The other day I counted 8 workers at just one of the entrances to 86th st (1) just to paint the entrance. 8 on the southeast corner of 86/broadway. They’ve renovated 23rd st (F) , 28th st (6) 72, 86, 110 (BC) and a bunch of stops near bay ridge on the R. Why in the world did they need to renovate those stations when there are so many more pressing issues that financial resources could go to?

Other concerns- how effective are platform controllers and do we really need station managers?

The other day the uptown bleaker station on the 6 was closed. I asked an employee for directions and he flat out told me that he didn’t know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 04:10 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I am so irritated by the mta , I almost want to scream at all the stupid announcements that seem to always be playing in the stations . It’s constant. What other system in the world is constantly talking at riders? Do they annoy anyone else? Here they are:

-it’s against the rules and very dangerous to ride or walk between cars...1 trains are not stopping at 168th st in both directions because of escalator replacement...the next uptown 2 express train is 4 minutes away...please step aside and let the customers off the train first

The other day I counted 8 workers at just one of the entrances to 86th st (1) just to paint the entrance. 8 on the southeast corner of 86/broadway. They’ve renovated 23rd st (F) , 28th st (6) 72, 86, 110 (BC) and a bunch of stops near bay ridge on the R. Why in the world did they need to renovate those stations when there are so many more pressing issues that financial resources could go to?

Other concerns- how effective are platform controllers and do we really need station managers?

The other day the uptown bleaker station on the 6 was closed. I asked an employee for directions and he flat out told me that he didn’t know.
Have you seen how decrepit many of the subway stations are and you're complaining that they are renovating the stations??? What is wrong with people!?!?!??!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2019, 04:16 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:

Other night was taking the "1" train downtown from UWS and the GD conductor wouldn't shut the eff up!

Ok, yes, there were service changes due to track work. But the guy would barely finish one long winded announcement before starting up all over again.

On my main rides (Q, R, W) it is those "Hello, It's against the law and unsafe to....." or "Hello, it is against the law and unsafe to hold doors....".

Never ride subways without my ear buds and tunes.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:18 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Platform controllers and station mangers IIRC came about in part when MTA began eliminating/reducing "token booths" and the subsequent need for less agents to staff. Of course the union wasn't going to let those workers just be terminated and or reduce staffing, so MTA/NYCT was forced to come up with something new.

Featherbedding destroyed many a railroad, and the MTA/NYCT aren't immune to that practice.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:02 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Cleaning up the stations is part of improving the system. Having the system not look like **** is a part of having the ridership not drop and therefore helps in not having people not try to avoid the MTA as some people take not waiting in a ****-sty seriously. Renovating stations means not having debris and water damage from crumbling stations not add to the crap that causes track issues. They're also hopefully done in a way that makes cleaning and upkeep more efficient. Clean stations also helps set the tone for people that just throwing garbage around is not okay therefore decreasing track fire delays and making routine maintenance enough to keep those from happening. I do think it's real stupid to not pilot OMNY with the renovated stations though. That's an efficiency loss.

As for platform controllers and station managers--they need to be trained better and then slowly made obsolete. If it was a shuffling of obsolete jobs, then I think it's fine if they are the last in the line and don't have replacements. A gradual edging out of jobs can be reasonable, though you would ideally use this as a testbed to shuffle employees to test out what kind of jobs actually help customers.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:33 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
This is why I rather walk and not have to put up with the aggravation.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:52 PM

It’s always a clown show when I board the train too whether it’s a homeless person spread out on the streets, verbal argument, performers etc. where are the cops ?

Old 02-25-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Cleaning up the stations is part of improving the system. Having the system not look like **** is a part of having the ridership not drop and therefore helps in not having people not try to avoid the MTA as some people take not waiting in a ****-sty seriously. Renovating stations means not having debris and water damage from crumbling stations not add to the crap that causes track issues. They're also hopefully done in a way that makes cleaning and upkeep more efficient. Clean stations also helps set the tone for people that just throwing garbage around is not okay therefore decreasing track fire delays and making routine maintenance enough to keep those from happening. I do think it's real stupid to not pilot OMNY with the renovated stations though. That's an efficiency loss.

As for platform controllers and station managers--they need to be trained better and then slowly made obsolete. If it was a shuffling of obsolete jobs, then I think it's fine if they are the last in the line and don't have replacements. A gradual edging out of jobs can be reasonable, though you would ideally use this as a testbed to shuffle employees to test out what kind of jobs actually help customers.
sorry but I don’t buy the track fire delay. The vast majority of delays are on the mta .

Old 02-25-2019, 06:24 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
sorry but I don’t buy the track fire delay. The vast majority of delays are on the mta .
Nah, track fire delays are real delays as are debris on tracks. There’s a reason why there’s massive littering fines, platform doors, and the like to keep garbage out of tracks. There’s definitely been some random catchall stuff to try to explain delays, but track fires and debris obstruction are real things that happen.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:28 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Haha...what else is new. Everything that OP you mentioned already happen. As a matter of fact, is MTA daily routine. You can complaint all you want on this forum, but you know what, the problem will continue to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City