Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 4,200 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Need some advice here. So I got into both Hunter and City and waiting for Stony. I am geared toward going for physician assistant so have to take a lot of science pre-reqs for the PA school. I wanted to go to Stony primarily because of "college life", "better administration" more "connections/opportunity to get better jobs/internships". But I can't afford the dorming cost. I can commute but it's a 4hr commute round trip through LIRR. Now I need to make a decision, as what will be the best here. What can you guys recommend? Hunter city? or Stony? Also I want to have options in english/history/IT major as If I don't really want to becme a PA. So that in mind also.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 10:29 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Hunter has tons of pre-meds and is pretty competitive.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:34 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,368 times
City has a PA program while Hunter just has nursing.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
City has a PA program while Hunter just has nursing.
I thought that is only for the graduate students

Old 03-20-2019, 07:04 AM

5,511 posts, read 7,103,535 times
Can't you find a cheap apartment near SB instead of dorming?

Old 03-20-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Can't you find a cheap apartment near SB instead of dorming?

I could but there's so little apartments near as in there and you have to commute by bus/drive either way

Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kururin View Post
I could but there's so little apartments near as in there and you have to commute by bus/drive either way
Yeah bad idea. Suffolk County is more expensive than NYC to rent at, even CI and Brentwood are kinda expensive. It's a buyer's, not a renter's place. Go to City.

I don't know this major well but it seems that PA is a graduate program at both Stony and City. But at City, you can save money and stack classes together to get your Biology degree in a short time and head right into a PA program. The SUNYs don't take as many AP credits as the CUNYS from what I know so you'll finish faster at City.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 AM

32 posts, read 19,790 times
If you do decide to go to SB and can't afford the dorming, I would recommend you selecting all your classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. That way, your LIRR commuting expenses will only be 2X a week. Also, maybe once you are taking classes and meet friends who do dorm at SB, you can crash at their place as well. And be sure to get a part time job to help pay for some of your school expenses (commute, books, supplies, etc). The worst thing is to graduate college with a bunch of debt. At least with a part time job, you can start saving money on the side to prepare to pay off some of that debt.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 AM

317 posts, read 311,531 times
Go to any community college in the CUNY system to get all the program prerequisites out of the way and then transfer to any 4 year CUNY college of your choice. I know a lot of people who did that.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
Go to any community college in the CUNY system to get all the program prerequisites out of the way and then transfer to any 4 year CUNY college of your choice. I know a lot of people who did that.
Good idea and also maxx out CLEP's, AP's and CollegeNow classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: