Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 06:42 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
And it’s not like I don’t have sympathy for the elderly but landlords are not running a charity.
Well the OP is not the landlord. It would be one thing if the landlord was here posting about this situation but the OP is just a nosey neighbor who is complaining and hearing building gossip. We dont know the sides of the men who currently reside there nor what the landlord has to say about it all. We just know the OP is jealous these men as living here as he stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 07:13 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I personally think you need to mind your own business, what is them staying there hurting you. If they have parties all the time, that's one thing but just because you don't think they should be there is another. One day lets see what happens when you old and alone, hope your karma comes back and your just disregarded as trash .

They are not hurting me, and they are pleasant enough men, but it is my business, as I am a shareholder in the building.

The apartment wasnt rented to them, it was rented to Mr D, roughly 50 years ago, these 2 men, are not entitled to a 2 bedroom for capped rent at roughly 400 dollars, while other market rate tenants here longer pay more. That isnt fair, right, or moral. Just because they took care of him / or he gave them a place to stay in reward for help, does not give them the right to stay once he died. Once he died, thier help was no longer needed. What part of that are you not getting?

Elderly men, should not be in this position, obviously, poor choices led them to this place. This will not happen to me, Im too smart for that, and own my apartment, and it has been paid off for decades.

and Im not being nosey, I just brought up a topic of interest to anyone on this forum, and to see if anyone else has ever encountered this.

other than that, I do nothing while living here.

August, it will be a year that they are here.
so no, you dont get to live a year for free.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 07-10-2019 at 07:26 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Answers what?????

You failed to realize I was playing the game of purposely assuming information about you. Like you are about these elderly men. I guess you really are so clueless and wrapped in your own world to realize this because you fire back some none sense about acceptance of scamming.

I'm not for scamming the system. I surely don't. You have to realize people are people and not everyone may have a blessed life. If you refer back to this thread I said it's NOT okay for them to not continue to pay the rent. But at the same time you can't leave two elderly people on the streets.
Besides you hear what the OP says and thinks. You don't know the story for the 2 elderly men that have made this their residence for the last several years, perhaps they aren't even receiving a bill to pay for the rent.

yes you can, well, when you dont pay rent (like everyone else has to), you dont get free housing.
people also have to understand that being a LL is a business, that how they feed thier family, and put thier kids thru college....not house people for free because it would be a nice thing to do.

a bill for rent?
is there something wrong with you?

you dont get a bill for rent, it is due the first of the month, like the lease states.

oh wait, they dont have a lease, because the apartment wasnt rented to them.......wake up, pay attention...

Last edited by nightcrawler; 07-10-2019 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Well the OP is not the landlord. It would be one thing if the landlord was here posting about this situation but the OP is just a nosey neighbor who is complaining and hearing building gossip. We dont know the sides of the men who currently reside there nor what the landlord has to say about it all. We just know the OP is jealous these men as living here as he stated.

jealous??? of what,

I have been living here for 30 years myself and my apartment has been paid off fully for decades, wtf would I be jealous of???

haveing a marshall come and evict me, that must be itlol

Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Isn’t the OP a home owner/share holder in the building? If so he has a right to be annoyed about these neighbors who quite frankly don’t belong in the building.

When I was in a coop, we had an issue, not with squatters, but with 5 adults living in a studio. I wasn’t on the board so I didn’t know all of the details but the point is that they were breaking the rules for living in the building and it needed to be dealt with.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I didn't read your off-topic rant about my mindset. I did not "fail" to catch your little game; I don't care about it.

What I did catch was that until this last comment had no problem ignoring the scamming that Nightcrawler is incensed about. You were more interested in attacking his concern, presumably because you play apologist for scammers.

If the landlord sent them a bill, it would only extend the eviction process. Hopefully he never acknowledged their right to remain there in the first place, to avoid any unnecessary delays. I don't care about their circumstances. Indigent circumstances, likely brought on by themselves to begin with, are not the landlord's concern.

exactly !!

this concept is so easy.
the man died, now they cant stay here, I dont know why livingsingle cant grasp this concept.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
This is a sad and bizarre situation. I can’t believe it is taking so long to evict them. They should apply for low income senior housing. I know the wait can be years but if they would have applied a few years ago they might be in a better position.

ofcourse it is, and your right, they should have of applied for something a long time ago.

I did think though, (since Im so nosey, as one poster stated), but where were they before they came here? they didnt bring furniture, I know one I have seen here for the 30 years because he was a friend of the deceased and Im assuming he lived in the neighborhood..

but the other one just came out of no where. Im guessing he was a friend (obviously)...

the evictin process in NY unfortunetely does take a long time. August the tenant will be dead a year...

Old 07-12-2019, 03:06 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Makes you wonder were they there to help the deceased or just leeches

And a judge will make the determination of whether the guys DO or DO NOT have succession rights to the apartment under the laws of the State if New York.
Sometimes a relationship between a caregiver and his charge can be quite strong...and REAL.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:00 PM

they did not get succession rights, as of today one of the men told a tenant that i know he is leaving in a few days, he is going to a "facility" as they have a bed for him, so thats what this story is up to now, thats about as updated as I got so far.

I dont see a lot of people as I work all day ....

the other man wasnt the problem, as he always seemed to "disseappear" for weeks at a time, so maybe he is going where ever, but they are both going....and soon....

Old 07-12-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Isn’t the OP a home owner/share holder in the building? If so he has a right to be annoyed about these neighbors who quite frankly don’t belong in the building.

When I was in a coop, we had an issue, not with squatters, but with 5 adults living in a studio. I wasn’t on the board so I didn’t know all of the details but the point is that they were breaking the rules for living in the building and it needed to be dealt with.

yes, I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City