Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Manhattan Racist?
Yes 23 35.38%
No 37 56.92%
Anti-Black 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 11:57 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,660 times

Advertisements

"The Way to Stop Discrimination on the Basis of Race Is to Stop Discriminating on the Basis of Race."

John G. Roberts Jr., chief-justice, supreme-court

Diversity and Inclusion programs (and all of the other terminologies they hide under) are purely racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 11:58 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,660 times
Who made the poll and added "Anti-black" as an option. Please...

Old 04-20-2019, 12:51 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
They do all have masters and PhD degrees degrees and white boyfriends?
Having a white or a European boyfriend is so over-rated. I was married to a German man for 12 years who gave me nothing but trouble during our divorce. By "white" standards, I'm supposed to be rollin' in the dough like the ex, Ivana Trump! But I only collected a couple thou' and good bye Charlie! Never heard from the bastid again!

Old 04-20-2019, 02:06 PM

27 posts, read 26,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What's puzzling about it? Black people are still treated as if they are the worst of the worst. It's crazy. Middle Easterners aren't known to be done of blacks either despite how they aren't cared for. Historically, I can't think of one group that has really been known to think positively of black people. Even Hispanics... Supposedly black and Hispanic people are in the same boat but you have some that think they're superior. It's comical to say the least, but blame the media. If I didn't know any better, according to news reports, blacks have the worst health, the worst everything. Rarely are black people talked about in the news in a positive manner. Always put down regardless of the ethnic group, not unless they are trying to stereotype them of course.
I am Hispanic - racially I identify as Black. There are Hispanics who identify as White, who truly believe they're better than Black Hispanics. Even the mixed ones whose African features are prominent feel superior to Hispanic Blacks. Honestly, even the Black Hispanics don't want to be associated with African Americans (Blacks in America). I see it frequently with the Dominican, Cuban and Puerto Rican ethnicities.

When I state puzzling, I more so meant I can't believe the audacity.

But I do agree.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:46 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNerd View Post
I am Hispanic - racially I identify as Black. There are Hispanics who identify as White, who truly believe they're better than Black Hispanics. Even the mixed ones whose African features are prominent feel superior to Hispanic Blacks. Honestly, even the Black Hispanics don't want to be associated with African Americans (Blacks in America). I see it frequently with the Dominican, Cuban and Puerto Rican ethnicities.

But I do agree.
My girlfriend is Dominican and definitely has black in her and embraces it, but you still have some Latinos that think that they are superior to blacks. I find it very sad in fact, but everything black has been treated historically as less than.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:54 AM

195 posts, read 131,005 times
Quote:

But I do agree.
Throughout Latin America, black Hispanics are treated as though they don't even exist, and locked out of advancement, due to the color/class hierarchy; therefore, most occupy the lowest rungs of Latin American society. To even have a crumb at the table, most have to emigrate to Western nations.

For this reason, I find it very odd when black Hispanics or mixed race hispanics look down on black Americans.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
They do all have masters and PhD degrees degrees and white boyfriends?
Such a strange question...

Last edited by LisaLisa2323; 04-21-2019 at 08:15 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 08:22 AM

27 posts, read 26,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
Throughout Latin America, black Hispanics are treated as though they don't even exist, and locked out of advancement, due to the color/class hierarchy; therefore, most occupy the lowest rungs of Latin American society. To even have a crumb at the table, most have to emigrate to Western nations.

For this reason, I find it very odd when black Hispanics or mixed race hispanics look down on black Americans.
I agree! The sad thing is it isn't just w/ Hispanics. I see it with Africans vs. African Americans and Caribbeans vs. African-Americans.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:41 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:

But I do agree.
I’m a Latino who identifies as black also and what gets me is when they assume I’m not Latino, yet giving them the green light to talk negatively about people in Spanish and say racist things. They assume that being Latino pertains to a specific phenotype when we come in all different skin complexions. For the most part when the racist ones try me I put them in check...VERY quickly.

To be more specific, many older Latinos, to be specific, are racist. I think younger people have more exposure to black American culture.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I agree! The sad thing is it isn't just w/ Hispanics. I see it with Africans vs. African Americans and Caribbeans vs. African-Americans.
I attended a very elite university and didn't see such a dynamic between black Americans, Africans, black Canadians and black Caribbean students.

But then again, most of the black students that I associated with were either middle, upper income or from wealthy families.

Blacks who are not impoverished, don't usually have such issues with other black ethnicities, because everyone is being productive and often occupying upper income spaces with few black people. There is certainly acknowledgment of the ethnic differences, but my point is, these groups see first hand that there is strength in numbers and it is more advantageous in such environments to work collectively rather than separately.

Most of the conflicts occur among lower income Africans, black Caribbeans and black Americans who reside in densely populated crime ridden cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City