Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in Jamaica, QU?
Yes 15 26.32%
No 42 73.68%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 10:41 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,565,138 times

Advertisements

Question: Would you live in Jamaica?

I recently moved here from Brooklyn and this neighborhood is very ideal for what I need/want.

-Plenty of retail up and down Jamaica Ave and to a lesser extent Hillside, Parsons, and Sutphin blvd
-Thr food options are pretty good
-The E, F, and J trains
-Dozens of bus lines including express buses
-LIRR
-JFK not far
-Walmart and Green Acres is a short ride away
-HRA, DMV and Social Security here
-York College is right here so I enrolled
-I can walk to work

Jamaica is definitely at a gem and I don't see it being hipster or yuppiedfied out the same way Harlem and Brooklyn neighborhoods have gone through. It's far enough from Manhattan to not be an option for many people but still an attractive choice for many especially if you work or go to school here, no nerd to reverse commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 10:43 AM

34,094 posts, read 47,309,800 times
I can see why Brooklyn people would take a liking to Jamaica.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-15-2019, 12:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
I recently had jury duty at Queens Civil Court at 8917 Sutphin Blvd, Jamaica, about a block from both the E and F trains. I agree that it's convenient to transportation, but that's about all I found pleasant about it. I had an hour lunch break from waiting to be assigned to a jury and I walked around and around looking for something interesting but mostly found fried chicken

Maybe there is more of interest outside of the few blocks I was walking on.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I recently had jury duty at Queens Civil Court at 8917 Sutphin Blvd, Jamaica, about a block from both the E and F trains. I agree that it's convenient to transportation, but that's about all I found pleasant about it. I had an hour lunch break from waiting to be assigned to a jury and I walked around and around looking for something interesting but mostly found fried chicken

Maybe there is more of interest outside of the few blocks I was walking on.
Yeah all of the good food options are at Jamaica Center, basically on Jamaica ave from Parsons Blvd to 168th st and on Hillside from 167th to 180th st. It seems like there would be more food options by the court house but you're right, it's main fried chicken spots and a Starbucks.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:33 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,066 times
Going through there a lot because of Airtran connection, LIRR, and J train, no I wouldn't live there. However, Jamaica is a large place and Jamaica Estates is nice. I still would chose maybe 40-50 other neighborhoods before I chose to live in Jamaica though.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:14 PM

For anyone saying no, is it because of the distance from Manhattan or the neighborhood itself?

Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeadon718 View Post
Question: Would you live in Jamaica?

I recently moved here from Brooklyn and this neighborhood is very ideal for what I need/want.

-Plenty of retail up and down Jamaica Ave and to a lesser extent Hillside, Parsons, and Sutphin blvd
-Thr food options are pretty good
-The E, F, and J trains
-Dozens of bus lines including express buses
-LIRR
-JFK not far
-Walmart and Green Acres is a short ride away
-HRA, DMV and Social Security here
-York College is right here so I enrolled
-I can walk to work

Jamaica is definitely at a gem and I don't see it being hipster or yuppiedfied out the same way Harlem and Brooklyn neighborhoods have gone through. It's far enough from Manhattan to not be an option for many people but still an attractive choice for many especially if you work or go to school here, no nerd to reverse commute.
Given the choice:
I would choose Jamaica over Harlem.
It has come a long way since the 60's
and 70's and all for the better.

I do not particularly care for gentrified neighborhoods where the focus revolves all around $$$$$$$$$$.

You will have to hunt down best neighborhoods as they lie under the radar and still operate in almost the
same fashion as did 50 years ago.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:05 PM

294 posts, read 263,548 times
https://youtu.be/uG_q3A-T-gI Here's a little video Diversecity recently did on the neighborhood. Jamaica still has got along way to go, even though there has been some improvement. About a month ago I was walking up 148th street and some ghetto slimer was naked urinating out his 3rd story apartment window onto the sidewalk. It was so revolting to watch! If they keep building affordable housing for low life's like **** boy, well, no civilized human being is going to want to live in Jamaica.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
https://youtu.be/uG_q3A-T-gI Here's a little video Diversecity recently did on the neighborhood. Jamaica still has got along way to go, even though there has been some improvement. About a month ago I was walking up 148th street and some ghetto slimer was naked urinating out his 3rd story apartment window onto the sidewalk. It was so revolting to watch! If they keep building affordable housing for low life's like **** boy, well, no civilized human being is going to want to live in Jamaica.
I've seen worse in prime locations in Brooklyn and Manhattan. New York is just crazy in general.

Jamaica is a relatively big neighborhood. North of Hillside is very nice. The section between Hillside and Archer is the heart of it with a large commercial and business district, this is where I live on 162nd. Then you have the section south of the LIRR which is the hood all the way. Sure there's room for improvement but Jamaica is no East NY or Brownsville.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:37 PM

294 posts, read 263,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeadon718 View Post
I've seen worse in prime locations in Brooklyn and Manhattan. New York is just crazy in general.

Jamaica is a relatively big neighborhood. North of Hillside is very nice. The section between Hillside and Archer is the heart of it with a large commercial and business district, this is where I live on 162nd. Then you have the section south of the LIRR which is the hood all the way. Sure there's room for improvement but Jamaica is no East NY or Brownsville.
There's some nice development up by 179th st. I work in Jamaica and bike commute in from Queens Village, so I see a lot. I can't believe how much development is happening in the area. I see quite a few demolition projects going on in the 170s to make way for mid rise buildings. Jamaica will change, but it's not happening overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: