Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 01:00 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,378,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is so bad. I have nightmares about once a year about out of control elevators, but I always calmed myself down after waking up, telling myself this can't really happen in real life. YES IT CAN!

LOL me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 12:48 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,592,044 times
Default Can't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Oh my goodness what a horrible way to go! By the way, I simply copied and pasted what I had read that he was crushed between the wall, etc. I think how you described it is exactly what happened. Poor man with the backpack who had to hear his screams and the elevator guillotining him! How about the people who were inside the elevator? Did half his body go in?!
I still can't understand how it happened. I want to - but don't want to - to see a simulation of how it happened because reading descriptions of it seems confusing to me. When I first read the story, the article mentioned that he was crushed between the wall and the elevator. The next day, I went to work and thoroughly visually inspected the elevator at work (which I never take - I take the stairs) just to see how that was possible. There is no more than 1/4' inch space, if that, between the elevator and the wall so how can a human get caught in a space that narrow?

Now I hear that he was killed because he was crushed between the top of the elevator and the floor. Say what? He'd have to be walking on all fours with his head far extending in front of his body for an elevator to close so cleanly on his neck and decapitate his head. A elevator closes his your whole body so if anything, his body would have been crushed and he'd died from internal injuries. From reading the story though, I can't picture how it happened.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,170,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I still can't understand how it happened. I want to - but don't want to - to see a simulation of how it happened because reading descriptions of it seems confusing to me. When I first read the story, the article mentioned that he was crushed between the wall and the elevator. The next day, I went to work and thoroughly visually inspected the elevator at work (which I never take - I take the stairs) just to see how that was possible. There is no more than 1/4' inch space, if that, between the elevator and the wall so how can a human get caught in a space that narrow?

Now I hear that he was killed because he was crushed between the top of the elevator and the floor. Say what? He'd have to be walking on all fours with his head far extending in front of his body for an elevator to close so cleanly on his neck and decapitate his head. A elevator closes his your whole body so if anything, his body would have been crushed and he'd died from internal injuries. From reading the story though, I can't picture how it happened.
Just watch the video. It’s posted a few times in this thread. That will clear thing up. Key point is he was in the process of exiting the elevator when the malfunction happened.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:23 PM

22,700 posts, read 36,895,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes! I seem to remember that happening in the WTC (Two, IIRC) not long before the buildings went down. Elevator sped up to the top, stopped abuptly, and people were injured. There was a lawsuit going on, and then...9/11. Don't know what happened after that.
That happened to me in the WTC many years ago (1986 or '87). Elevator sped up to Windows on the World, doors popped open - before we could move they slammed shut and back down we went. Opened in the lobby and then slammed right shut and rocketed us back up to the top and we were able to get off but I was FREAKED OUT. No one got hurt.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:30 PM

1,486 posts, read 994,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post

Watch the video. It clears up everything.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/video-...nade-building/

The guy with the backpack exited the elevator a little too quickly like he felt something was up. You can see him turn around and looked down like he noticed the elevator was still moving downwards while the inner and outer doors were still opened. The person who died was exiting behind him while the elevator was still descending and instead of stepping back and let the elevator descend he decided to try climb up and out but was too slow. The elevator was already half way down so now hes in a position of trying to climb through an open window where he has both arms extended and one foot on the ground floor to pull his body upwards and through the opening. All it took was 3 seconds, you can see the top of the elevator crush his head and chop off his arm and leg against the ground floor. If you look closer, the mangled body parts were still in the doorway as when the outer doors closed you can see them bounce back once while attempting to close.

Its the same thing I see everyday on the subway. passengers stick their arms into the closing doors, if it wasn't for those red lights on the outside of the train car letting the conductor in the middle of the train know the doors aren't properly closed there would be lots of people dragged into the tunnel to their death. Seems here something similar happened where the sensors that let the elevator know the inner and outer doors are properly closed so its ok to ascend or descend were not working and this is the end result.

Whoever own that property is about to go bankrupt. After the lawsuit, tenants having a good reason to get out of their lease, and bad publicity preventing new tenants the owner will most likely be in the negative.

Growing up in the projects I experienced many elevator issues where the inner doors would open but the outer doors wouldn't. Or the outer doors would open but the inner doors wouldn't . Or the scariest one was when it would speed up, slam the breaks, alarm goes off, alarm stops, then it would speed up, slam on the breaks, alarm goes off, and it would keep doing this until it reached the selected floor. if you were lucky the doors would open on the floor that was selected if not then then the elevator would skip the floor and open on the floor above.

Ive been stuck in elevators so many times ive learned if the elevator is too crowded, don't force our way in because if it get stuck you will most likely be in there in that same crowded position for hours till the firemen comes to get you out.

Last edited by SoullessOne; 08-31-2019 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-31-2019, 10:20 PM

Default Not from the video I've seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Just watch the video. It’s posted a few times in this thread. That will clear thing up. Key point is he was in the process of exiting the elevator when the malfunction happened.
Am I looking at the same video as everyone else? You can't see the person injured in the elevator because there is a man (with the backpack on) standing in front of the elevator unintentionally blocking whatever happened, from the camera. He seems a little distraught, so I know that something has happened, but again I can't see what he sees and he doesn't appear to be looking at a decapitated head which would cause major distraught behavior. Who could just stand there peering, without collapsing or screaming like a banshee, if they'd witnessed something like that?

Old 08-31-2019, 10:38 PM

Default Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Watch the video. It clears up everything.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/video-...nade-building/
Thanks for the link. Yes, that's the one I was looking at. I've just re-watched it about 15 times. I can see a man who appeared to be exiting the elevator but it lurched down so quickly that it appeared to have taken him down with it. He just disappeared. I noticed that the door didn't or was unable to close completely but I couldn't see what was blocking it nor any decapitation of body parts or his head. Again, the man with the backpack on was standing in front of the elevator which blocked the view from the camera. Maybe it's just as well that I can't make out all that was described in the article because once you see something like that, you can't un-see it even if it was only seen on video.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:09 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,427,993 times
Tenants have started a rent strike.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/31/tenant...pasteboard_app

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-01-2019, 05:46 AM

6,697 posts, read 6,066,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Tenants have started a rent strike.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/31/tenant...pasteboard_app
How can anyone get out of their lease? If let’s say you were one of the people who witnessed the tragedy, and claimed ptsd, isn’t that enough for your attorney or even the landlord to find it easy to break a lease?

Old 09-01-2019, 05:53 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,427,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
How can anyone get out of their lease? If let’s say you were one of the people who witnessed the tragedy, and claimed ptsd, isn’t that enough for your attorney or even the landlord to find it easy to break a lease?
Lol, I'm not an L & T lawyer, but I suspect there has to be some type of line drawn by the courts to determine when mental trauma suffered is enough to release one from a binding contract. Otherwise everybody would be able to say "I'm sad and/or depressed" and walk away from any contract...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City