Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in the organization described above?"
I own a car or otherwise drive and would be interested 18 47.37%
I own a car or otherwise drive and would NOT be interested 15 39.47%
I don't own a car or otherwise driver and would be interested 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 12:29 PM

15,881 posts, read 14,529,165 times

Advertisements

Do you own a car or otherwise drive in NYC? Are you pissed as hell about the ongoing assault by city, state, MTA, and port authority on drivers? Let's review what's been happening.
  • "Congestion" pricing in Manhattan (congestion in quotes, because the charge has nothing to due with reducing traffic, and everything to do with raising revenue for the MTA.) This is also a back door way of imposing a toll on the 59th street bridge
  • High and increasing tolls on both MTA and Port Authority bridges and tunnels, with the vast majority of the revenue being used for purposes other than maintain bridge/tunnel/road infrastructure.
  • The imposition of underused and obstructive bike lanes around the city reducing road vehicle handling capacity and increasing traffic.
  • Speed limits reduced to absurdly low levels, and..
  • The imposition of automated pho
to enforcement of speed, red light and bus lane rules.

Are you angry enough about this to actually do something about it? There are two miillion car owners in NYC. And this doesn't count millions more on Long Island and Westchester who drive into the city. This could also be spread to NJ, to try and get leverage on the Port Authority. If they got organized and became militant on this issue, they could wreak electoral havoc on the government in NYC/S and get these egregious burdens imposed on drivers reversed.

But it won't be easy or cheap. Such an organization would need money and dedication. It would have to charge dues, and would probably need volunteers to work for it. It would need a lot of people to be one issue voters, and let the political layer know in no uncertain terms that they are sick of being taken advantage of and used as cash cows to be milked to fund other peoples political priorities.

Would you join such and organization, especially if it charged dues? I'm thinking something like $50/year.

What would the organization do.
  • Lobby politicians directly to overturn these items, using the threat of electoral defeat.
  • Support candidates and/or incumbents who support the groups positions, including monetarily. Give the one party, one ideology nature of NYC politics, this might include recruiting candidates to run against unfriendly politicians.
  • Coordinate with other political organization and commercial groups that may have aligned interests and who efforts could be leveraged to the common goal.
  • Where necessary and possibly effect, coordinate protest activity (in general, of skeptical of street level protest
s, they usually don't achieve anything. But some may be effective.)

I'm attaching a poll to this. Please only respond if you have a car, otherwise drive, or for some other reason would be interested in joining. I want to get an idea if I'm pissing into the wind, or if enough people are interested for it to be worth doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 01:06 PM

1,577 posts, read 921,995 times
I voted.

It's ridiculous the myriad ways this administration has F'd with traffic patterns and made life harder for drivers. Commerce has always been the life blood of NYC, it's what made this city great. Commerce means unfettered access and egress. That means cars, trucks, busses, trains all leading, unrestrained, into the city.

They are killing the template for greatness and turning us into Boulder Colorado. Somebody get me some mushrooms and a bong hit. I can't take it no more.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:00 PM

Since poll responses don't bring threads back up, giving it a bump.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:32 PM

779 posts, read 1,005,996 times
No, the roads are way too congested. This is one of the biggest and most expensive cities in the world. Even Brooklyn Bridge should have a toll.

As all other options in life, commute in the way your budget allows...

If you can’t afford it, I heard Idaho is reasonable.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:49 PM

The roads in NYC have been way too congested for 250 years. This isn't about congestion. It's about funding mismanagement and corruption. A line needs to be drawn. But that involves enough people caring enough to do something about it. I'm trying to see if there are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
No, the roads are way too congested. This is one of the biggest and most expensive cities in the world. Even Brooklyn Bridge should have a toll.

As all other options in life, commute in the way your budget allows...

If you can’t afford it, I heard Idaho is reasonable.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:56 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,498,637 times
need more passenger rail

Old 09-28-2019, 07:30 AM

19,079 posts, read 14,029,030 times
I’d be interested, but honestly I am definitely leaving this city in 5-10 years so I really don’t care anymore about stuff like this. I’m more concerned with researching places I will be fleeing to.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-28-2019, 07:58 AM

25,398 posts, read 37,151,865 times
You left out a fourth choice that would be mine.

I DON'T own a car and would NOT be interested in joining.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:59 AM

19,079 posts, read 14,029,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You left out a fourth choice:

I DON'T own a car and would NOT be interested in joining.
No he didn’t. He put in the thread title that it was directed at car owners. So your comment is unnecessary.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-28-2019, 08:00 AM

25,398 posts, read 37,151,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No he didn’t. He put in the thread title that it was directed at car owners. So your comment is unnecessary.

Choice number 3 belies your assertion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: