Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 12:59 PM

201 posts, read 85,205 times

Advertisements

This is good dining? You people like those subway fumes breathing down your necks while eating dinner? I notice a lot of these types of restaurants setting up outdoor tables in West Village, packed, having a great time. It's good like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 01:05 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Honestly, there's no difference in the smell sitting there vs. walking down the street, when you're also faced with being in close proximity to subway vents. In other words, there's no change really for people to be put off by.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:10 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
I just came back from Germany and I notice that Manhattan has not many of those restaurants with sidewalk seating in comparison to Berlin.

Almost every restaurant I saw there had outdoor seating, usually with ashtrays too

Old 10-05-2019, 01:18 PM

Your justification for dining in the fume path is weird like the rest of people who do that. It is not just fumes, but globs of age old subway dust too. I find that fine dining like that, is off, but you are allowed your own opinion. Manhattan normalizes eating right next to those ventilation grills but I say no thanks, something is up.

They might as well just take their food down to the subway platforms and eat on the subway stairs, put down a picnic blanket, candles, friends, bottle of wine, oh and the air pressure from the 1 train coming by every 5 minutes.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:19 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I just came back from Germany and I notice that Manhattan has not many of those restaurants with sidewalk seating in comparison to Berlin.

Almost every restaurant I saw there had outdoor seating, usually with ashtrays too
I like how Chicago's core differs from NYC's core in this fact too. Outdoor seating is much more common and city actually desires it. Most add greenery and flowers that add to some grandeur and class adding to the city's increased tourism favorability .... that shows even on C-D.

New Yorkers already see just tourist obstacles in their paths. More outdoor seating might just be more of that to some? But no one visiting will see seated over a subway-vent grill ..... as something that adds to a NYC ambience. Nor the times trash bags are set out.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:24 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay443 View Post
Your justification for dining in the fume path is weird like the rest of people who do that. It is not just fumes, but globs of age old subway dust too. I find that fine dining like that, is off, but you are allowed your own opinion. Manhattan normalizes eating right next to those ventilation grills but I say no thanks, something is up.

They might as well just take their food down to the subway platforms and eat on the subway stairs, put down a picnic blanket, candles, friends, bottle of wine, oh and the air pressure from the 1 train coming by every 5 minutes.
If you walk in Manhattan you're breathing in those fumes. Dont like it, move out of the city. But pretending they dont exist or that you're not breathing them in by choosing to eat indoors or away from the grates doesn't really change much. My opinion, anyway.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:53 PM

15,864 posts, read 14,491,391 times
There are worse things on the street and in the air than what comes out of the subway grates.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There are worse things on the street and in the air than what comes out of the subway grates.
To dine outside next to those long A train or 1 train vents I can't do it. When walking closely by them I hold my breath to protect my respiratory system. To sit down and blow money just to sit right in that, sorry not worth it. Yuck. If I stand alone on this issue that is fine by me.

Surprised there is no regulatory rule that says restaurants can not have unsanitary outdoor seating like that when the hot fumes blast their patrons. The thing I am saying is people seem to act like it is the real NY experience or something okay to be doing like that. It is? I think something is off

Seriously it is not much different than bringing your dinner down to the platform stairs. You could ask MTA to host a citywide Picnics in the Subway Day. Might as well have food conventions down there if that is hygenic enough for you?

Old 10-05-2019, 06:39 PM

268 posts, read 240,110 times
Fumes? Our subway trains are electric.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:22 PM

Yes subways make fumes. It's from molds, dust, dirty air, heat pressure, hairballs, rats, roaches, chemicals, and other general subway stench. Right into your nostrils.

It smells like the street sweeper just went by. Same thing / different animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: