Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 12:17 PM

201 posts, read 85,898 times

Advertisements

The last few times I walked into Duane Reade I realized it was just a mini candy shop and a few sodas in the fridge. I am thinking of the one kiddie corner to Columbus Circle - It is just this mini candy shop with general candy selections. They will have several employees working the storefront for some reason. Just a weird store. The rent and cost structure for operating that store must be astronomical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 12:34 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,359,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay443 View Post
The last few times I walked into Duane Reade I realized it was just a mini candy shop and a few sodas in the fridge. I am thinking of the one kiddie corner to Columbus Circle - It is just this mini candy shop with general candy selections. They will have several employees working the storefront for some reason. Just a weird store. The rent and cost structure for operating that store must be astronomical.
Remember when they had TWO Duane Reade's across the street from each other on 57th Street? Which such idiotic decisions, that's another reason they should close.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:46 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,266,934 times
Quote:
They have a basement level with all the normal products you find at a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Remember when they had TWO Duane Reade's across the street from each other on 57th Street? Which such idiotic decisions, that's another reason they should close.
They did that cause they still had a lease at the 1st location. They wanted to move to a store with more sq footage in the same area so they moved across the street.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:52 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,359,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
They did that cause they still had a lease at the 1st location. They wanted to move to a store with more sq footage in the same area so they moved across the street.
I know, and for the time that it was set up that way, it was comical seeing two Duane Reade’s competing for the same customers. You go in one store.... No Bounty... Ok, let’s go across the street and check at the other Duane Reade.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:02 PM

201 posts, read 85,898 times
How can anybody get "upset" about these stores closing? To be perfectly honest I never cared for Duane Reade stores and never held any allegiance to any of the products they sell. Every time I walk into their stores I sense their main product is just Customer Surveillance, and you can buy some candy bars and stuff while they do their spying.

Last edited by Jay443; 11-15-2019 at 08:35 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 05:08 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,266,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I know, and for the time that it was set up that way, it was comical seeing two Duane Reade’s competing for the same customers. You go in one store.... No Bounty... Ok, let’s go across the street and check at the other Duane Reade.
They have that in my old neighborhood with Chase. Literally right across the street. You go into one, 7 people are in line, hmmm...nah I don't want to wait so you cross the street to the other one.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:36 PM

198 posts, read 120,016 times
I'm upset that the Rite Aid on my corner was turned into a Walgreens. For me it was an effective 25% price increase on every item in the store, since I had 20% off everything with my Rewards card.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:42 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,555,736 times
They can be very useful. This is especially true since a lot were open 24/7. It's easy to get used to being able to run out at any hour and have a good selection of stuff available.

A DR near me is one that closed. There are others around (CVS of course.) But I'll miss the DR.

Quote:
How can anybody get "upset" about these stores closing? To be perfectly honest I never cared for Duane Reade stores and never held any allegiance to any of the products they sell. Every time I walk into their stores I sense their main product is just Customer Surveillance, and you can buy some candy bars and stuff while they do their spying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City