Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 06:19 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times

Advertisements

Okay so it went from 1-3 inches all the way to accumulations of up to a foot (or more). I haven't experienced this kind of snow in forever and so ngl anxious. I was hoping for two inches so that I could say oh aint that nice and then the sun melt it the next day. The weather forecast has also been updated to show that the days after will have highs in the lower 30's and so the sun thing likely won't be happening. We are still a little ways out but I guess im a typicaly GA person having to post on any chance of snow that I might see. Lol.

Oops...forgot to put dates. So far the bulk is expected on Wednesday, the 16th, but this is of course subject to change. I'm a little excited too I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 07:02 AM

186 posts, read 308,216 times
Well i have to plow the streets if there is any accumulation. The snow storm of 2010 happened 9 months before i started at sanitation. That storm exposed how the city was undermanned for a big storm. They didn't have a class go though in 2009 and 1 class in 2010 because of the economy taking a nose dive in 2008. But in 2011 they had 3 classes and 3 to 4 classes ever since until this year. No classes this year because..... Well you know why.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Okay so it went from 1-3 inches all the way to accumulations of up to a foot (or more). I haven't experienced this kind of snow in forever and so ngl anxious. I was hoping for two inches so that I could say oh aint that nice and then the sun melt it the next day. The weather forecast has also been updated to show that the days after will have highs in the lower 30's and so the sun thing likely won't be happening. We are still a little ways out but I guess im a typicaly GA person having to post on any chance of snow that I might see. Lol.

Oops...forgot to put dates. So far the bulk is expected on Wednesday, the 16th, but this is of course subject to change. I'm a little excited too I guess.
At some point you’ll get to experience nor’easters or blizzards and you’ll feel what the urban canyon effect is like in NYC. A foot of snow isn’t anything really.

The difference is that Atlanta shuts down for anything more than a coating.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:26 AM

1,399 posts, read 892,307 times
What's the over/under on snow shutdowns this season?

Old 12-13-2020, 07:30 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmandan View Post
Well i have to plow the streets if there is any accumulation. The snow storm of 2010 happened 9 months before i started at sanitation. That storm exposed how the city was undermanned for a big storm. They didn't have a class go though in 2009 and 1 class in 2010 because of the economy taking a nose dive in 2008. But in 2011 they had 3 classes and 3 to 4 classes ever since until this year. No classes this year because..... Well you know why.
Interesting...thanks for sharing. Makes me realize I will have to be prepared and patient even more
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
At some point you’ll get to experience nor’easters or blizzards and you’ll feel what the urban canyon effect is like in NYC. A foot of snow isn’t anything really.

The difference is that Atlanta shuts down for anything more than a coating.
Yeah, I guess I had imagined I would get lucky this year and get by on a light jacket (layered up under of course) haha. Let's see what happens. Still about 3 days out.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Interesting...thanks for sharing. Makes me realize I will have to be prepared and patient even more

Yeah, I guess I had imagined I would get lucky this year and get by on a light jacket (layered up under of course) haha. Let's see what happens. Still about 3 days out.
A light jacket layered should be fine for this time around. But layer up because you’re not acclimated yet.

This should give you an idea of what to prepare for, even if it only happens once this winter (or not at all). Get a thicker jacket, gloves and some sort of head covering, and keep enough food on hand in case you choose to stay in for a couple of days.

It’s not the amount of snow but the cold + wind that makes it uncomfortable.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:59 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Won't be the first nor the last

One thing I do not spare expense on is winter clothing. I'll spend my last penny on a good coat. I've actually been shopping for a winter coat for several months and I think I've finally found one that meets my standards.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-13-2020, 08:05 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Won't be the first nor the last

One thing I do not spare expense on is winter clothing. I'll spend my last penny on a good coat. I've actually been shopping for a winter coat for several months and I think I've finally found one that meets my standards.
25 years ago i bought a north face shell and down liner before they were bought by coumbia ...i am still using it every winter.

i used to winter camp in tents in zero degrees.

we would camp off pudding street on the taconic in putnam on state land every winter .

Old 12-13-2020, 08:07 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
25 years ago i bought a north face shell and down liner before they were bought by coumbia ...i am still using it every winter.

i used to winter camp in tents in zero degrees
I am a die-hard North Face fan but I want a new look. I have a Steeptech original and another snorkel that I will be selling soon. Both in good shape, no rips or anything.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-13-2020, 08:10 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I am a die-hard North Face fan but I want a new look. I have a Steeptech original and another snorkel that I will be selling soon. Both in good shape, no rips or anything.
i recently sent them back my north face cargo pants . the rubber deteriorated in the waistband after 25 years .

they put new rubber in for free .. everything has a lifetime guarantee .....

when they changed zipper designs none of the older zip in liners would zip . they changed out all zippers on my jackets free .

more recent stuff i bought has been mountain hardware
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City